‘Dread Nautical’ Releasing This April
- Pick it up on April 29th.
- Coming to all major platforms.
- PC version releasing through the Epic Games Store.
Developer Zen Studios has announced that their tactical turn-based rougelite RPG Dread Nautical will release on the 29th of April on PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, Xbox One, and PC via the Epic Games Store. If you pre-purchase on PC, you’ll get a ten percent off discount. Dread Nautical originally released back in September of 2019 on iOS via the Apple Arcade subscription service.
Dread Nautical brings players aboard a cruise ship called Hope, and the developers hope this title can provide a different gaming experience than you’re used to on consoles and PC. Despite the name, supernatural forces have overwhelmed the ship, and these mysterious malevolent monstrosities are set on doing evil deeds. It’s up to you to search for other survivors, track down food and resources, and find a way to escape your vacation alive. At the start, you’ll choose out of four characters who you want to play as, and travel across 20 decks of the ship. It’s here that you’ll meet 13 other colorful and playable survivors. Some of these characters are: a Scottish captain, the ship’s surly mechanic, a Hollywood has-been, a prehistoric woman misplaced in time, and more.
You’ll need to be mindful of what you do and say, as your words can affect their willingness to fight alongside you. Players are going to want to have these survivors fight with them, as each one possesses their own special abilities that are exclusive to them. These characters will also have their own side quests, meaning you’ll get to learn more about them as you help. On your journey, you’ll take up to two additional survivors to fight with you, and there is a lot of room to strategize. Some of these enemies are: zombie-like Thralls, bile-spewing Spitters, horrific bosses, and many more. Other features are as follows:
- Upgrade Yourself, Your Items, and Your Surroundings – Through exploration and success in combat encounters, use any scraps and mystic runes you find to upgrade items and your own stats and abilities, respectively. In order to do so, you’ll also need to enhance your crafting station and mysterious book of the occult, also with scraps. And don’t forget to build some beds—if you don’t, then you can’t recruit new survivors without kicking others to the curb.
- Search, Search, and Search Some More – You and your survivors need to eat, so scour every inch of the ship for food. And while you’re at it, pick up any weapons, armor and items you find—you’re gonna need ‘em. Don’t be afraid to leave some things behind, though, as characters have storage limitations. And don’t spend too much time exploring one area—enemy hordes may overwhelm your location!
- Endless Vacation – Each deck of the ship is procedurally generated, ensuring unlimited replayability and new places to search. As the game progresses, even the easier lower decks increase in challenge, should you choose to return.
Are you excited to play Dread Nautical on consoles and PC? For those who’ve played it on mobile, would you recommend it? What have your experiences been with Apple’s subscription service? For other indie titles to keep an eye on, make sure to check out Wingspan, Evans’s Remains, and Sky Racket. To stay up to date on Dread Nautical, make sure to follow the developers on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and their official website.