Entire ‘Half-Life’ Series Free to Play on Steam
- Will remain free until Half-Life: Alyx releases.
- Perfect for those who’ve never played before.
- Half-Life: Alyx currently 10 percent off for preorder.
Valve shocked us all back in November when they announced a new entry in their Half-Life series, a VR exclusive prequel titled Half-Life: Alyx. Valve has been a proponent for virtual reality gaming, a platform they see as the future for the industry. The best way to demonstrate their commitment to this platform is to support it with quality titles the industry wants to play. Half-Life: Alyx is the beginning, and if VR still doesn’t amount to anything, at least fans of the Half-Life franchise are getting the new entry they’ve always wanted in this universe.
Building upon the moment, with Half-Life: Alyx releasing sometime this March, Valve has decided to make the entire franchise free for players to enjoy on Steam until Alyx releases. This means that right now on Steam you can download and play: Half-Life, Half-Life 2, Half-Life 2: Episode One, Half-Life 2: Episode Two, Half-Life: Opposing Force, Half-Life: Blue Shift, and even Team Fortress Classic for free. If you’ve never played this classic and iconic franchise, there is no better time to try it out than now.
When Half-Life: Alyx launches for $59.99, it will be compatible with Valve Index, HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, Oculus Quest with PC and link cable, and Windows Mixed Reality devices. If you preorder Half-Life: Alyx now, you’ll enjoy a limited time 10 percent off price, making the title $53.99 instead. Half-Life: Alyx takes place before the events of Half-Life 2 and it’s episodic releases, though it will share characters and story elements with it. Some features are as follows:
- Valve’s return to the Half-Life universe that started it all was built from the ground up for virtual reality. VR was built to enable the gameplay that sits at the heart of Half-Life.
- Immerse yourself in deep environmental interactions, puzzle solving, world exploration, and visceral combat.
- Lean to aim around a broken wall and under a Barnacle to make an impossible shot.
- Rummage through shelves to find a healing syringe and some shotgun shells.
- Manipulate tools to hack alien interfaces.
- Toss a bottle through a window to distract an enemy.
- Rip a Headcrab off your face and throw it out the window.
Customers who have purchased Valve Index hardware before the game is released on Steam will have access to unique bonuses starting in early 2020:
- Explore environments from Half-Life: Alyx in your SteamVR Home space
- Alternate gun skins to embellish Alyx’s arsenal
- Special Half-Life: Alyx-themed content for Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
Are you excited for Half-Life: Alyx? What would you like to see from the series in the future? If you haven’t played Half-Life before, will you take advantage and play them now that they’re free? To stay up to date on everything surrounding Half-Life, make sure to stalk Valve on Twitter, Facebook, and their official website.