Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone ever switch career?

Hi,

So yeah... have you ever switch career? And if so, how did you find what you wanted to do?

Danke!

I switched careers. I was working office admin and bookkeeping for 7 years. When I moved to another stated, I was having a hard time finding a good paying job, so I went back to college. I had think long and hard about what I wanted to do. I realized I loved working on computers so I started staking computer course. Now I have working the tech field for the 15 years!

Comment

• ZubiFett
      ZubiFett commented
      Editing a comment
      That's funny! I actually want to move away from the IT industry

At any rate, how did you take that step? The main thing that stops me, is going back to being poor and going thru economical hardship again. I used to literally get to the end of the month with 5€ to 20€ in my bank account... I still remember returning a pizza because the gas bill come along and I didn't notice, so I couldn't afford it.

That is when I completely lost respect for my career choice and I haven't been able to recover it. But even when things were bad back home I was unable to find what else to do, now I'm in a different country and doing OK, but I don't like my career nor the country itself.

How did you get a grasp of what you wanted to do and when did you know it was time to study again?

What constitutes a career "switch"? I was a software developer for 10 years and then switched to systems engineering and integration. You might think it's a natural progression but many developers don't make the switch. Also it took considerable effort on my part to make it happen. It's more satisfying but still not awesome. I said my bit in another thread........ If you're really unhappy then put just the bare minimum effort into your current job and use all remaining energy to find a new one. Maybe it will be better and maybe not but you'll never know if you don't try.

Comment

• ZubiFett
      ZubiFett commented
      Editing a comment
      Honestly, my "soul" is calling for a 180 degree change.

I would genuinely like to have balance between career possibilities and genuine interest for it. Strange as it is, I feel resentment toward my current career, I only stick to it because I thought I would be interested again if I managed to advance in it and achieve my goal. But the reality is that being in an industry I resent and living in a country I dislike (I moved from my home country two years ago) generates too much resentment and I feel like I don't' think clearly, or put two and two together.

I do like what you've said, however, I do expend a lot of energy thinking on how much I dislike the situation and less in thinking what else could be done.

If you are looking to change careers and leave IT. Do you have some interest in another field you might be interested in? If not talk to friends and family and see what they for a living. See any of there careers strike an interest in you. Also, do you have hobbies that could lead to new career.

Comment

Originally posted by Bolo View Post
      If you are looking to change careers and leave IT. Do you have some interest in another field you might be interested in? If not talk to friends and family and see what they for a living. See any of there careers strike an interest in you. Also, do you have hobbies that could lead to new career.
      That's a very good idea, I'll do that.

I do have hobbies but no ambition to convert them into a career, I enjoy them very much as they are. I'll seek to ask those I know and see if I can gain anything from their experience.

My thanks for your help!

Comment

I switched careers almost right out of school. I learned programming, and fully expected to work as a programmer, I experimented with UE and other game engines before getting a gig as a tester at a game dev, but they paid scraps which I learned is common practice at big game devs for low level employees, even now.

So I ended up switching to a field I least expected. Geodesy and GIS. Not out of choice, but opportunity. A friend told me that there was a job opening so I went and interviewed for it knowing literally nada about the field.

Been doing it since 2006 and I like it still. Why? Because there is never a dull moment, every job is different, every job has its unique problems that need solving. And that is what I do best: solve technical challenges. Either by using a combination of existing tools, or finding new tools, or if necessary creating the tools needed (programming). I'm lucky to get to work with amazing cutting edge technology and travel to many exotic places that I'd never have visited otherwise.

And actually the technology behind GIS, Game development, Artificial intelligence, and Automotive Self Driving are all converging. They have more things in common now than ever.
        Click here for all my game reviews. | Click here for my PC hardware history from 1991
        Games purchased on EGS: 0 | Free games redeemed on EGS: 0

Comment

• ZubiFett
          ZubiFett commented
          Editing a comment
          That's an interesting and inspiring story.

One of the reason I decided to stay on IT was the idea of working online or being able to land a competitive job anywhere. As I'm not going to go back home nor do I want to stay in this country, that idea as somehow transform to simply having the ability to do so to find a place where it feels right to be. But one must enjoy its craft, or it won't progress nor get any better at it. It was perhaps my biggest mistake to stick to it and go as far as going to a different country to enhance my chances.

A bold action is likely going to be needed in the end. All or nothing, I guess.

All my changes with work arose from the desire to have a free schedule and earn more. Based on these desires, I chose a job. First I worked in a call center, then I became a freelancer. After a while I was offered to try to work in the office. And I agreed. I thought it was a good way to get new experiences and make more money. But after a while I became a freelancer again

Comment

Working...
        X