Ryzen 9 Launch

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ryzen 9 Launch

The Ryzen 9 is completely MIA in EU, no retailer has any stock, some say there will be no units available until the end of July!!

Is AMD botching this launch?
    Click here for all my game reviews. or Click here for my PC hardware history from 1991

Since most people buy significantly lower end parts (like the 3600), nah. As long as the SKUs people actually buy in volume are there, thats what matters.

Comment

Originally posted by HFB Zulu View Post
      Since most people buy significantly lower end parts (like the 3600), nah. As long as the SKUs people actually buy in volume are there, thats what matters.
      Well in the circles I move everyone is excited for the 3900x including me. If it was available I'd already have purchased it. This way the little stock that will eventually come end up in the hands of dirty ebay resellers who try to flog them 2x msrp or worse.
      Click here for all my game reviews. or Click here for my PC hardware history from 1991

Comment

I believe they underestimated the number of people interested. AMD never was the biggest seller, so their sales projection was to sell X units. If they sold out so quickly, then their projections was really off and it means more people are seeing AMD as a good alternative, which is a good thing to everyone.
        Sig Changed due to Mods being too slow to take action.

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas_JCG View Post
          I believe they underestimated the number of people interested. AMD never was the biggest seller, so their sales projection was to sell X units. If they sold out so quickly, then their projections was really off and it means more people are seeing AMD as a good alternative, which is a good thing to everyone.
          They didn't sell out, they were never available. They probably withheld all stock for the US market, and did a paper launch everywhere else. We (EU) still don't count for nothing in the eyes of tech companies.

Comment

Originally posted by MadMummy76 View Post

Well in the circles I move everyone is excited for the 3900x including me. If it was available I'd already have purchased it. This way the little stock that will eventually come end up in the hands of dirty ebay resellers who try to flog them 2x msrp or worse.
            Anecdotal evidence, at best.

Even if you knew a thousand people all interested in these things, thats not even .1% of the sales of something like the 3600/X.

The sales of parts go up goemetrically as you go DOWN the SKU Scale, at least until you get to "super budget" or specialized parts (like Celerons, Atoms, etc) that only go into certain form factors or devices.

Even if everyone who wanted one got one, it still wouldn't make up an appreciable amount of CPUs sold.

Parts like that are super niche, and are more about prestige (the people that use them are an extremely loud and vociferous crowd) than profit.

Its also the same reason i laugh a little when people are like "Intel is failing/in trouble" because of Ryzen 3000.

... hate to break it to you guys, but the DIY/enthusiast market is irrelevant to either company's profit.

Intel makes all of its money in embedded solutions, laptops, family-computer pre-builts (your average HP or Dell) and mid-range servers (and by "mid-range" i mean corproate server farms and the like; actual "high-end" servers - the kind that power the "Cloud" and the Internet at large are almost entirely dominated by IBM's POWER chips, which the average consumer isn't even aware exist) - and the only inroads AMD has made into any of those markets is the server market, where Epyc stacks up extremely well vs Intel's Xeon-based CPUs.

Theyve made virtually no inroads into laptops at all, almost zero penetration in embedded solutions, and only middling penetration in family oriented prebuilts.

Intel will be fine.

Not that im poo-pooing AMD; Ryzen 3000 can only put pressure on Intel to innovate and lower prices, and that's great. ANd if i were building right now, id be building with Ryzen. And if their performance/price continues to outshine Intel through 2020/early 2021, you may finally start to see AMD gain traction in HP/Dell and laptop brands, because the laptop builders especially often contract out CPUs for 2+ years at a time. Theyre locked in already to Intel for the foreseeable future (which doesn't stop them from producing AMD laptops, but they still have to use all those Intel chips they pre-bought, so why bother?) but if AMD is still a viable (and cheaper) option the next time those contracts get negotiated, expect AMD to make up some ground.

But AMD "dominating" the DIY/enthusiast market is... kinda pointless. Its an infintessimaly small part of either companies profit centers.

Its mostly about mindshare.

Comment

Anecdotal evidence, at best.

Even if you knew a thousand people all interested in these things, thats not even .1% of the sales of something like the 3600/X.

The sales of parts go up goemetrically as you go DOWN the SKU Scale, at least until you get to "super budget" or specialized parts (like Celerons, Atoms, etc) that only go into certain form factors or devices.

Even if everyone who wanted one got one, it still wouldn't make up an appreciable amount of CPUs sold.

Parts like that are super niche, and are more about prestige (the people that use them are an extremely loud and vociferous crowd) than profit.

Its also the same reason i laugh a little when people are like "Intel is failing/in trouble" because of Ryzen 3000.

... hate to break it to you guys, but the DIY/enthusiast market is irrelevant to either company's profit.

Intel makes all of its money in embedded solutions, laptops, family-computer pre-builts (your average HP or Dell) and mid-range servers (and by "mid-range" i mean corproate server farms and the like; actual "high-end" servers - the kind that power the "Cloud" and the Internet at large are almost entirely dominated by IBM's POWER chips, which the average consumer isn't even aware exist) - and the only inroads AMD has made into any of those markets is the server market, where Epyc stacks up extremely well vs Intel's Xeon-based CPUs.

Theyve made virtually no inroads into laptops at all, almost zero penetration in embedded solutions, and only middling penetration in family oriented prebuilts.

Intel will be fine.

Not that im poo-pooing AMD; Ryzen 3000 can only put pressure on Intel to innovate and lower prices, and that's great. ANd if i were building right now, id be building with Ryzen. And if their performance/price continues to outshine Intel through 2020/early 2021, you may finally start to see AMD gain traction in HP/Dell and laptop brands, because the laptop builders especially often contract out CPUs for 2+ years at a time. Theyre locked in already to Intel for the foreseeable future (which doesn't stop them from producing AMD laptops, but they still have to use all those Intel chips they pre-bought, so why bother?) but if AMD is still a viable (and cheaper) option the next time those contracts get negotiated, expect AMD to make up some ground.

But AMD "dominating" the DIY/enthusiast market is... kinda pointless. Its an infintessimaly small part of either companies profit centers.

Its mostly about mindshare.
              Geez talk about someone going off on a tangent.
              This is completely irrelevant rhetoric. What is your point? I have not questioned nor did I mention any of those things.
              The point is that AMD did a paper launch and the CPUs are not available to buy in the EU.
              Do you want to doubt that? Is the fact that no retailer had any stock on launch day and since also anecdotal evidence to you?

BTW Mindshare is the most important thing for AMD currently. Nobody is fired for buying Intel. As long as AMD is known as the underdog that is not even able to deliver products for a much hyped launch it won't be able to make significant inroads into the actually large volume markets like workstations and server, no matter how good are their server parts and low end office pc parts.
              Last edited by MadMummy76; 07-10-2019, 05:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MadMummy76 View Post
                Geez talk about someone going off on a tangent.
                This is completely irrelevant rhetoric. What is your point? I have not questioned nor did I mention any of those things.
                You questioned if AMD was "botching" the Ryzen 9 launch. I said no, and told you why. Try to keep up.

The point is that AMD did a paper launch and the CPUs are not available to buy in the EU.
                That isn't the point, or wasn't until you moved the goalposts. Here, lets recap:

This is your -third- post on the topic:

They didn't sell out, they were never available. They probably withheld all stock for the US market, and did a paper launch everywhere else. We (EU) still don't count for nothing in the eyes of tech companies.
                And your first mention of a supposed "paper launch", OR that you were in the EU. No one reading the thread up until then could have possibly known you were talking about the EU.

Do you want to doubt that?
                I dont need to doubt it, i know objectively it is false, since the Reddit forums have plenty of people in the EU building rigs with the high-end Ryzen 9 SKUs.

Is the fact that no retailer had any stock on launch day and since also anecdotal evidence to you?
                Sounds like a limited supply, only-preorders-got-parts situation. Happens in the US all the time too. Happened for the Coffee Lake launch from Intel. If you didn't pre-order, you didnt get one. And even if you did, that wasn't a guarantee. You still got yours before they went on shelves, but you may not have gotten them in the first wave.

BTW Mindshare is the most important thing for AMD currently.
                I dont recall saying otherwise. In fact, I mentioned that the entire thing is about mindshare, intimating that it is, in fact, quite important.

Nobody is fired for buying Intel. As long as AMD is known as the underdog that is not even able to deliver products for a much hyped launch it won't be able to make significant inroads into the actually large volume markets like workstations and server, no matter how good are their server parts and low end office pc parts.
                When their competition (Intel) is having the same or worse problems, its not as big of a deal. The thing keeping them out of low-end markets is that they have no worthwhile parts there. They dont have anything you'd really want to put in a laptop. Hopefully some Zen 2 based Ryzen laptop chips that are -actually- power efficient are inbound, or they can forget about laptops for another product cycle. Their server chips they actually dont have a problem delivering (in fact, the likely reason that R9s are in scarce supply is because Epyc is taking off quite well and they are probably prioritizing Epyc production).

Comment

You questioned if AMD was "botching" the Ryzen 9 launch. I said no, and told you why. Try to keep up.
                  You went on a completely unrelated tangent none of what is relevant to the Ryzen 9's non-availabilty.
                  That isn't the point, or wasn't until you moved the goalposts. Here, lets recap:
                  The goalposts never moved, you just didn't bother to look at them. I specifically mentioned the EU in the opening post. So a false claim on your part.
                  I dont need to doubt it, i know objectively it is false, since the Reddit forums have plenty of people in the EU building rigs with the high-end Ryzen 9 SKUs.
                  The EU is a huge place, there might be some godforsaken corners where people could get a few, or they might be review samples, or sourced from outside the EU. I was looking for a listing like a hawk for the past week at every known price aggregator and even on individual stores. Hell I looked at price aggregators outside of my country 1000 miles away. It's not that there was no stock. It wasn't even listed at any retailer. So I couldn't pre-order no matter how hard I wanted. The first listings started to crop up just now locally and everywhere it is on backorder with completely uncertain delivery times. As I mentioned some list it as available on 27th of July. Others don't even have a date set.
                  I dont recall saying otherwise. In fact, I mentioned that the entire thing is about mindshare, intimating that it is, in fact, quite important.
                  Oh, no?
                  But AMD "dominating" the DIY/enthusiast market is... kinda pointless.
                  I don't know who said that then, must have been someone hijacking your keyboard.

Comment

Built a PC with a 2700 feel better off doing so since 3rd gen Ryzen and X570 mobos are expensive
                    I'm crawling deeper and deeper into backlog hell. Also I stream on dlive: https://dlive.tv/jokerthefoolio

Comment

Working...
                    X