Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ballin' on a Budget. Best builds you have achieved personally for minimal cash.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ballin' on a Budget. Best builds you have achieved personally for minimal cash.

Hi all, was chatting to another guy in a game sesh and he broached the subject of building a new PC. He current had a GTX670???? and an i5 2nd gen cpu. He said to me that he was in the market for a new system and asked me if he should simply go out and buy the best parts he could get. This got me thinking, what results can one achieve by using all options available to them at the time whether that be gumtree, ebay, new egg etc while not blowing the budget. For instance I scored a z97 mobo, I5 4th gen cpu, gtx1060 gpu, 16G DDR3 ram, for $400 2nd hand. A 1TB SSD for $175, new case with a 600w PSU for $135. And for free got a mouse, keyboard, DVD burner and monitor. So in total the system set me back $710 dollariedoos (or AUD). Games pretty respectably as I before now since I was a kid have always been a mere console peasant.

Feel free to share and I'll recommend the lad to have a look at the replies.

PS He's an Aussie as well as location is certainly a factor with these things.

What is the cpu? i5-4590 ?? i5-4690K ??
    Games 2019: The Last Night - Biomutant - Doom Eternal - Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - Mount & Blade II - Dead or Alive 6 - Tunic - Pathologic 2 - Eastshade - Scorn - A Plague Tale: Innocence - Descent (2019) - Wasteland 3 - Ancestors: The Humankinf Odyssey - Moduwar - Dawn of Man - Code Vein - Little Devil Inside - Team Sonic Racing - Street of Rage 4 - DESPERADOS 3 - Kirby Extra Epic Yarn - Void Bastards - Fimbul - The Forgotten City - The Last Campfire - Outward - Devil May Cry 5

Comment

I5 4590 Baron is what I have and Hyperweasel I am unsure as to what his budget is but at a guess I would say hes shooting around the 1000-1500 AUD mark

Comment

• Baron Baldric
        Baron Baldric commented
        Editing a comment
        That processor can run any current game at 60fps, it's a good buy, the rest of the build is equally as good.

I bought my girlfriend a MSI GL73, i7(8th gen), GTX 1050 TI for 820 pounds a couple of months ago.
      Thought that was a good deal for a laptop that has to run Minecraft and Farm Together... sigh

Comment

Nothing beats a cheap ebay xeon and a chinese X79 or X99 Mobo from aliexpress if you're looking for best bang for the buck
        Click here for all my game reviews. | Click here for my PC hardware history from 1991
        Games purchased on EGS: 0 | Free games redeemed on EGS: 0

Comment

I built my son the following rig for his 11th birthday:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Q7DVNQ

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor ($114.00 @ Amazon)
          Motherboard: ASRock AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($111.10 @ Amazon)
          Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
          Storage: Inland Professional 120 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($19.99 @ Amazon)
          Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($43.90 @ OutletPC)
          Video Card: ASRock Radeon RX 570 4 GB Phantom Gaming D Video Card ($129.99 @ Newegg)
          Case: Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX Mini ITX Tower Case ($70.00)
          Power Supply: SeaSonic 520 W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($61.98 @ Newegg)
          Total: $600.95
          Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
          Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-15 23:54 EDT-0400

The prices it is showing are current prices, but i got it significantly cheaper.

I already had the PSU, HDD and Case from a previous build.

Got the RX 570 on sale at NewEgg for 109$, and it came with RE2 Remake and Division 2
          Got the R5 1600 and the Motherboard as a pair at Microcenter - 90 for the CPU, and 85 for the motherboard (30$ off bunddle deal).

plays most games, even AAA games, at very playable framerates at 1080p, though its even slightly better because the spare monitor i gave him is actually 1600x900 so it plays pretty much everything at max. just fine.

All told, got it out the door for sub 400$.

Comment

Originally posted by HFB Zulu View Post
            I built my son the following rig for his 11th birthday:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Q7DVNQ

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor ($114.00 @ Amazon)
            Motherboard: ASRock AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($111.10 @ Amazon)
            Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
            Storage: Inland Professional 120 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($19.99 @ Amazon)
            Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($43.90 @ OutletPC)
            Video Card: ASRock Radeon RX 570 4 GB Phantom Gaming D Video Card ($129.99 @ Newegg)
            Case: Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX Mini ITX Tower Case ($70.00)
            Power Supply: SeaSonic 520 W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($61.98 @ Newegg)
            Total: $600.95
            Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
            Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-15 23:54 EDT-0400

The prices it is showing are current prices, but i got it significantly cheaper.

I already had the PSU, HDD and Case from a previous build.

Got the RX 570 on sale at NewEgg for 109$, and it came with RE2 Remake and Division 2
            Got the R5 1600 and the Motherboard as a pair at Microcenter - 90 for the CPU, and 85 for the motherboard (30$ off bunddle deal).

plays most games, even AAA games, at very playable framerates at 1080p, though its even slightly better because the spare monitor i gave him is actually 1600x900 so it plays pretty much everything at max. just fine.

All told, got it out the door for sub 400$.
            That's a good build thanks for the info there HFB, My younger brother wants to get onto the PC gaming scene as well. Guess we both got sick of being taken for a ride by the console manufacturers as in, you buy the PS4 then a year later the PS4 pro comes out and you cant simply upgrade but have to buy the console again for the hardware gains. Not to mention the console generation shifts and usually not having backwards compatibility for old favourites.

Comment

Originally posted by Borghir View Post
              I bought my girlfriend a MSI GL73, i7(8th gen), GTX 1050 TI for 820 pounds a couple of months ago.
              Thought that was a good deal for a laptop that has to run Minecraft and Farm Together... sigh
              Hahaha poor fella, some people just don't appreciate certain things I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by MadMummy76 View Post
                Nothing beats a cheap ebay xeon and a chinese X79 or X99 Mobo from aliexpress if you're looking for best bang for the buck
                Yeah mate, I watch a youtuber called Tech YES City and he often says the Xeons are the go, although he believes good quality X99 mobos are getting rarer

Comment

My office PC is a decent machine for very little money, x5670 hex core Xeon overclocked to 4.4GHz on an Asus p6t motherboard with a ex mining RX580 4gb and 16gb of ecc ddr3. Over 1000 pts on Cinebench r15 with a £15 cpu, great bang for your buck. Got the board cheap because it had bent pins which I fixed. RX580 got in a job lot of 5 for £50 each (sold the others on in various builds)

I think the most expensive thing in there is the Psu, a 550w fully modular seasonic that was a hand me down from my main gaming rig after an upgrade. I've got an old 750w corsair that I might switch out and use the seasonic in a different build.
                  "it was the daedric prince of douchebaggery in disguise"

Comment

I just spent nearly $700 on a 4TB SSD to replace the 2TB WD Black HDD in my PC and 32GB of RAM (2x16GB) to replace the 16GB I had. Buying new parts isn't cheap. But the peace of mind that comes with buying new parts and knowing you bought them from a reliable dealer/seller is something that is worth it IMO. I bought my GTX 1070 Ti new from a seller on Amazon. It was defective out of the box. The seller wouldn't give me a refund. I went through the whole claims process with Amazon and they basically dick you around. It's all incompetent call center Indians that don't speak English and have no f**king clue as to what they are doing. I called MSI and they gave me an RMA and sent be a "new" card. I put new in quotes cause it's a factory tested and refurbished card. They supposedly bring it back up to their specs. Even though the little plate at the end is slightly messed up, it at least works. So I didn't flush $400 down the toilet. Though I had to pay $50 to ship to MSI in California.

So yeah, buy new and buy from a legit seller/store/shop for Europeans. No matter how sweet those Amazon deals might seem they can lead to headaches, anger, frustration and never ending regret. I still kick myself. I should have just gave Newegg what they wanted. If you have to shop on Amazon make sure you buy from Amazon or an actual company. Avoid the small time sellers.

Also if you are looking to build a PC on a budget think of what parts that are cheap now that you can upgrade later. Like the CPU, RAM and GPU. The most expensive things will be the GPU and CPU. Follow that up with the Motherboard, RAM and so on. Get an i3 for now and upgrade later on. You don't need 32GB of RAM go for 16 or 8. Though 16 is the best. Pick a good PSU, this is the most important part. Depending on what hardware you want you may not need a 1,000 watt PSU. Make sure it's at least 80+ Bronze rated, though gold, silver or platinum would be a lot better. You can get the OEM version of Windows 10 super cheap. I got mine from Walmart for $80-90. It's usually $140. Though if you look around online you could probably get a digital download version of Windows 10 OEM even cheaper than I did.

Comment

I will be moving back to my home country next week and then finally I can built a new PC. I have built one back in 2007 and currently only have a 2012 laptop with me. I have a budget of around 800-1000€ and when close to do it I will pass the parts by you guys to check your opinions.

Comment

• ZubiFett
                        ZubiFett commented
                        Editing a comment
                        You'll be able to build a good 1080p machine with that budget!

• Balta666
                        Balta666 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        ZubiFett that sounds good to me. I never cared much about resolution and prefer a steady 60 fds

Normally, I try to stay within a budget of 1000 to 1300 dollars US when I billed my new systems. That will be a lot harder to stay in that budgetbecause of prices for parts are still high.
                      The goal for me is to make it last 6 to 7 years.
                      I have made that goal 3 out of my 4 PC builds (had to upgrade to quad core system because of Mass effect 2). I try to use parts from my older PCs like hard drives, blu ray player/burner, mice, keyboards and monitors.

Comment

Working...
                      X