No announcement yet.

Optical drives, do you still use them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Optical drives, do you still use them?

When optical drives were first introduced to the PC, they were a huge deal. A capacity of 640MB? It was insane. That was more than the hard drive capacity of my computer until 1997.
    Of course they were read only at the time, recordable discs came later, I had to wait until 1999 for my first CD-Writer.
    But fast forward 20 years later to today, and I it has become completely obsolete. I haven't had an optical drive in my main PC, or any of my PCs for that matter for the past 5 years.
    There is no point to it. The last retail game I bought was years ago, and even then it was quicker to download from the internet than to install from the DVD.
    And for backup Optical drives, even the latest blurays are tiny and slow I'd need hundreds of them to store my data while I can do the same on a couple of HDDs.

I have an external blu-ray writer, as a backup in case it is needed to read something, but the only scenario when that comes into play is for retro games that I only have on discs.

I have multiple internal optical drives in my PC still
    18.75%
    I have an optical drive in my PC
    43.75%
    I have no internal drive, but I do have an external drive for occasiocal use.
    12.50%
    I have no optical drive for my computer at all
    25.00%
    Optical? I still use floppies!
    0%
    Click here for all my game reviews. | Click here for my PC hardware history from 1991
    Games purchased on EGS: 0 | Free games redeemed on EGS: 0

Yes, I have a 3D Blu-ray. I very rarely use it, though.
    "Without Games, Life would be a Mistake" - All of the Founding Fathers, in unison.

Comment

I have 2 DVD readers.

Mostly use them to play old Cd's (music and games. I rarely use them for watching a movie).
      ( ´・ω・`)_且~ Would you care to join me for a cup of tea?
      Sips Tea Majeeeeestically!

Comment

I have an external DVD drive that only sees usage when I rip audiobooks I get from my library. They have thousands to check out and even resurface the discs so I know they will rip perfectly. Its how I get around paying insane audible prices.
        Steam ID: Saul15 Discord: Trout#3435
        I love strategy games and coop shooters, lets play sometime.

Comment

I wanted an internal Blu ray read write drive but I didn't have the money at the time and modern PC cases have abandoned 5.25 bays far as I can tell. At least my window is cool. I can still get an external and I will someday. Do have a PS4 and I don't use discs too much these days other than games
          I'm crawling deeper and deeper into backlog hell. Also I stream on dlive: https://dlive.tv/jokerthefoolio

Comment

Story time: I was actually into burning CDs as a business, so I had SCSI drives (anyone remembers those?) None of these IDE/Atapi rubbish.
            I've had a TEAC 32x/12x/10x drive. And a Plextor 20x also SCSI reader, so I could duplicate discs.
            That setup was so stable, that even when my computer crashed midway trough the copy process, the copying still finished without producing a coaster.
            I made a bit of money burning discs to order during my high school years. The writer recouped its own price in 3-4 months.
            I expected to do the same with DVD writers when those came around, but the demise of the optical drive was looming even then.
            I rarely got any orders for burning DVDs, and that investment never broke even. I'd have been mad if I haven't bought the drive for my personal use anyway. Until the mid 2000s I still used DVDs as backup.
            Click here for all my game reviews. | Click here for my PC hardware history from 1991
            Games purchased on EGS: 0 | Free games redeemed on EGS: 0

Comment

Their dirt cheap and I like options. I have both a blu-ray drive and lightscribe drive even if I barely use them, but when I do need them I am quite grateful that I have them on hand, without having to plug in anything.
              Hippity hoppity, your spam is now my property!

Comment

I haven't used it in so long, but I think it's a DVD writer, not Blu-ray, in my desktop PC. My work and home laptops don't have optical drives. They don't have spinning drives of any sort. There is an external USB DVD drive in the house, but I've never used it. I do have a regular standalone Blu-ray player, which I thought was no big deal, but a few people have commented about it...I only have a handful of Blu-ray discs and those are mostly because whatever is on them wasn't available on a DVD.

Comment

No optical drive in my PC.
                  I haven't bought a physical game for my PC for many years.

I have bought physical game disks for PS4 games tho.

Comment

• Hyperweasle
                    Hyperweasle commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Modern PC games rarely, if ever have a physical release now and if it does it's usually a code. That is why I am kinda of excited for Cyberpunk 2077, it's going to be full fledged physical release,

• danskmacabre
                    danskmacabre commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I DO miss the days of getting really nice Manuals, posters, maps and sometimes you'd get little trinkets like you got with the old Ultima games like Gold coin tokens, a Cloth map and so on.
                    But hey, progress right?

At least now I don't have to load a CD, install it and hunt down patches, install them in the right order and so on.
                    It's all automatic with Steam and you can backup your games, which if you store your storage media well, is better lasting than CDs/DVDs.

Yep. I use mine daily! I hope people continue to throw out their "worthless" old fashioned discs because i have found some absolute gems in the last year or so in 2nd hand shops - the original big box editions of Resident Evil, Final Fantasy VII, Unreal Tournament, Alien vs. Predator, Diablo (the original!), all in awesome condition and i didn't pay more than £2 for any of them. I literally can't believe the stuff people throw out. I guess their friends told em that streaming and downloading was the hip new thing. What a sad world it will be when you have 0 physical possessions except for a screen and a bed, every day praying and hoping that daddy Google/Amazon/Steam won't just delete stuff you like from their service.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                    Yep. I use mine daily! I hope people continue to throw out their "worthless" old fashioned discs because i have found some absolute gems in the last year or so in 2nd hand shops - the original big box editions of Resident Evil, Final Fantasy VII, Unreal Tournament, Alien vs. Predator, Diablo (the original!), all in awesome condition and i didn't pay more than £2 for any of them. I literally can't believe the stuff people throw out. I guess their friends told em that streaming and downloading was the hip new thing. What a sad world it will be when you have 0 physical possessions except for a screen and a bed, every day praying and hoping that daddy Google/Amazon/Steam won't just delete stuff you like from their service.
                    I'm honestly surprised how cheap PC disc based games are, I can go ebay and find pretty much every game before 2013 that is less $10.00. Also some old games have never got a digital release so having a optical drive is really great for that if you don't want download them off of slow and shady sites.
                    Hippity hoppity, your spam is now my property!

Comment

I have 2 in my pc, they are fairly old now.
                      They were taken from my previous computer, sadly I no longer use them as often as I did.
                      Since I built my last pc I have moved into my own home so no longer need to conserve space, so I can have a large tv and a monitor.

I still like owning discs, especially games with large manuals. It was one of my favourite things, the smell of a new manual.

Comment

I have an optical drive in my PC and I'm glad I have it because I still own some old CD-ROM games that I revisit sometimes (Black & White, RCT3 and Age of Mythology especially). If I'm going to buy an older game, I will look for a physical option first before opting for the inferior digital download, just sayin'
                        I wish more games would come out physically for PC still. My internet is extremely slow, so installing via optical drive is always the faster option for me.
                        Not only that, I still buy physical music CDs, so I still use the CD rip function for my music.
                        I wouldn't want a PC without an optical drive, just sayin'

inb4boomer
                        Check out my YouTube channel with silly Smash Bros. content: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCss...o9fW5snApff8YQ

Comment

Working...
                        X