Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building a 700 gaming rig for my son

Hi everyone,
    I am in the process of building a gaming rig for my son. The price is 700 dollars.
    I have the following: Gaming mouse, Monitor, 3 1tb hard drives to store games on, and OS.
    What I need help with is:
    An AMD processor (am not too familiar with AMD processors at this time).
    A motherboard with wifi built in
    A good tower
    power supply
    GPU.

I might do something I have not done in ages. Buy a prebuilt PC? Last time I bought a prebuilt PC was 1997 and that was my first PC!
    Cyberpower has one that fits my buget and is very close spec wise. It come in cheaper then the build I was going to do. So, now I am going to look at prebuilts and see if I can save some money and get my son a great PC for under 800 bucks! I know it is over 700, but I had to add taxes to the build. I will not buy a PC until labor day sales. Might save some more money by then.
    CyberPowerPC - Gaming Desktop - AMD Ryzen 5 3600 - 8GB Memory - AMD Radeon RX 580 - 2TB HDD + 240GB SSD - Black

Comment

• Hyperweasle
      Hyperweasle commented
      Editing a comment
      When it comes to more modern games having a beefier GPU and about 16GB RAM is more important than a Beefier processor. While the RX 580 is still considered a great GPU for budget gaming, the RTX 2060 is a little under the performance of a 1080 which will allow more modern titles to run better.

I am also interested in this, but I am looking for a Pc that can run all the latest high demanding games [best definition if possible] + 16GB Ram or more if it exists. Lost count of games that eat my 8GB Ram among them is Lobotomy Corporation, not to mention Steam now eats more ram than ever and I also like to check the internet at the same time, I seriously need more ram.
    I have $700 saved for my gaming hobby, but I am looking for a $1000 Pc to a max of $1500 Pc Maybe?

I seriously need to replace my old pc toaster and I am slightly afraid of prebuilds after watching some videos showing how they are poorly build (specs, cable disasters + time ticking power supply bomb).
    ( ´・ω・`)_且~ Would you care to join me for a cup of tea?
    Sips Tea Majeeeeestically!

Comment

• Bolo73
      Bolo73 commented
      Editing a comment
      When you get to the 1000 to 1500 range, and you build it yourself. You will have a great powerful PC. The only reason I might go Prebuilt is it is very similar to what I was going to build at this time for 700 dollars, plus I do not have to worry about the heat sink fan fitting on the mobo. Looking at you MSI Performance Gaming AMD Ryzen 1st and 2nd Gen AM4 M.2 USB 3 DDR4 HDMI Display Port WiFi Crossfire ATX Motherboard (B450 Gaming PRO Carbon AC).

Here is a RTX 2060, AMD Ryzen 5 2600 and 16gb of ram for about $700 - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3NMCtp
    Since you already have the storage and monitor you are way ahead in terms of that of price. The only thing I might suggest is getting extra fans for the case, but you can buy some inexpensive Arctic fans which should work just fine.

Edit: Forgot to mention but this comes with a network card as an expansion card, it will help keep the cost down instead of buying built in wifi also it's easier to replace if it goes bad later down the road.
    Last edited by Hyperweasle; 04-01-2020, 02:56 AM.
    I got my health...... still waiting for my wealth.

Comment

Originally posted by Necromancerx69 View Post
      I am also interested in this, but I am looking for a Pc that can run all the latest high demanding games [best definition if possible] + 16GB Ram or more if it exists. Lost count of games that eat my 8GB Ram among them is Lobotomy Corporation, not to mention Steam now eats more ram than ever and I also like to check the internet at the same time, I seriously need more ram.
      I have $700 saved for my gaming hobby, but I am looking for a $1000 Pc to a max of $1500 Pc Maybe?

I seriously need to replace my old pc toaster and I am slightly afraid of prebuilds after watching some videos showing how they are poorly build (specs, cable disasters + time ticking power supply bomb).
      ~$1500 - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bbBq7T
      Ryzen 5 3600
      32GB RAM
      500GB Samsung EVO NVME + 1TB Samsung EVO SSD
      RTX 2080

~$1000 - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/pzBq7T
      Ryzen 5 2600
      16GB RAM
      500GB Western Digital NVME + 1TB Western Digital SSD
      RTX 2060 Super

Feel free to change the list however you like, you might rather have less ram in the 1500 dollar build to put it to more storage or a beefier processor, or you might like a middle of the road build with parts mixed and matched from each of the lists.

Comment

Originally posted by Hyperweasle View Post

~$1500 - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bbBq7T
        Ryzen 5 3600
        32GB RAM
        500GB Samsung EVO NVME + 1TB Samsung EVO SSD
        RTX 2080

~$1000 - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/pzBq7T
        Ryzen 5 2600
        16GB RAM
        500GB Western Digital NVME + 1TB Western Digital SSD
        RTX 2060 Super

Feel free to change the list however you like, you might rather have less ram in the 1500 dollar build to put it to more storage or a beefier processor, or you might like a middle of the road build with parts mixed and matched from each of the lists.
        I love this, thanks <3
        I only have one last question. It's better the liquid coolant? or should I stick to traditional fans?
        [ I never use liquid before, most of my life was the fans. xD ]

( ´・ω・`)_且~ Would you care to join me for a cup of tea?
        Sips Tea Majeeeeestically!

Comment

• Irritablesquid
          Irritablesquid commented
          Editing a comment
          There should be an air cooler that comes with most Ryzen processors, I would just use that unless you want to do any overclocking and if you plan to overclock you can always buy a better air cooler later.

Air cooling is better if you lack experience as there is more to go wrong with a liquid cooler, such as the pump and leaks.

AIOs tend to be more expensive and will only lower the temps by an amount barely noticeable, you could get a good air cooler a good bit cheaper than liquid.

Originally posted by Necromancerx69 View Post
        I love this, thanks <3
        I only have one last question. It's better the liquid coolant? or should I stick to traditional fans?
        [ I never use liquid before, most of my life was the fans. xD ]

So here's the thing with liquid cooling, I think most would tell you to do liquid cooling. This is my personal preference however, but I don't like liquid cooling. I know it may provide good temps while remaining quieter but unless I am buying a prebuilt with a guaranteed warranty on the whole machine, I would stay away from it. I like to think about what happens later down the road. Sure you could get better temps but if the liquid cooler you get as a manufacturer defect and it starts leaking, bye bye to your whole system. If a fan break, the worst thing to happen is that you PC shuts itself off to prevent damage from overheating. One allows for good thermals without the sound but if it breaks then you just wasted a bunch of money. Even if it only has a 1% chance of it happening, do you really want to take that risk? I personally wouldn't and I'll take a noisier computer over a dead one. Also I think Linus actually tested it and air provided better thermals over longer period of time than the AIO cooler.

Last edited by Hyperweasle; 04-01-2020, 03:44 AM.

Comment

Hyperweasle gave you two good builds, obviously if you shop around you can find them cheaper or even better replacements.
          If you go for the first build then I would recommend getting 16GB of ram instead of 32 as you can always add another 16GB later.

You could also change the Samsung storage for the Western Digital storage and save some money. You could also change the motherboard to a B450 Tomahawk Max to save some more money.
          Save enough and you could get a 3700x which is what the next gen consoles will be using, so will give you a little more life than the 3600.

I would still go for the first build if you're not sure, the components there should be fine. AMD will be releasing the 4000 series over the next year so you could always buy one of them in a few years time and drop it into the same motherboard, all you would have to do is update the BIOS which is easy enough to do but this is for the future and you don't need to worry right now.

Comment

• Irritablesquid
            Irritablesquid commented
            Editing a comment
            Some you can, but you can contact AMD and they will send you a CPU to update the BIOS. To do this you need to show AMD the proof you have bought the board and CPU and they will send you one for free, once done you send it back.

If the B450 board says Max on it then it's been updated already and it's ready for a 3000 series CPU. The packaging should say if it's ready or not.

Once you start going above 1200 it'll make more sense in my opinion to buy a 570 board.

I bought a B450 Tomahawk Max and I'm very happy with it.

• Hyperweasle
            Hyperweasle commented
            Editing a comment
            Irritablesquid Yeah, I wasn't still sure if AMD was sending you low end CPUs to update the BIOS anymore, but the information about motherboards with the name "Max" is good to know.

• Irritablesquid
            Irritablesquid commented
            Editing a comment
            To be honest I don't really know what's going on right now with the Virus and lock downs.
            AMD might have temporarily changed that, at least until this whole thing has passed.

Well, I am in the process of building my son his first PC!
          I raised the budget to 1100k (I reached out to family and got his birthday money early after I boasted the budget to 800!)
          I am going with a Ryzen 3600x $199
          or 3600 $183
          Motherboard:ASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi) ATX Motherboard with PCIe 4.0, Dual M.2, 12+2 with Dr. MOS Power Stage, HDMI, DP, SATA 6Gb/s, USB 3.2 Gen 2 and Aura Sync RGB Lighting $150
          or
          Gigabyte X570 AORUS Elite Wifi (AMD Ryzen 3000/X570/ATX/PCIe4.0/DDR4/Intel Dual Band 802.11AC WIFI/Front USB Type-C/RGB Fusion 2.0/M.2 Thermal Guard/Gaming Motherboard) $210
          Ram: Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz DDR4 DRAM Desktop Gaming Memory Kit 16GB (8GBx2) CL16 BL2K8G36C16U4B (Black) $69
          Hard drive: XPG SX6000 Pro 1TB PCIe 3D NAND PCIe Gen3x4 M.2 2280 NVMe 1.3 R/W up to 2100/1500MB/s SSD (ASX6000PNP-1TT-C) $120
          GPU: XFX - AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT RAW II 8GB GDDR6 PCI Express 4.0 Graphics Card with Zero dB - Black $390
          Powersupply I am struggling with picking a power supply with the insane demands for them currently: I found this one EVGA 650W - power supply - 650 Watt $70

I have a ATX tower he can use plus,
          I have 2 1tb hard drives as well.

Comment

Working...
          X