Use a VPN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Use a VPN

If you're not using a VPN then assume everyone knows everything about you. No one knows anything about me because i use a VPN, you can't find me on Twitter, you can't find me on Facebook, nor YouTube or Google. Use a VPN for fucks sake just do it.

Using a VPN is a start.

“Nothing is so painful to the human mind as a great and sudden change.”

Steam: old_Navy_twidget

Comment

I pity all who know at least a bit about me. And I have extra free eye bleach for those courageous doxers, who would ever behold my IRL pic. Let holy Alzheimer and saint Parkinson relieve their pain, oh, poor curious hackers.
      Membe kids, it's hard to unsee. ( or let Korsakoff Syndrome be strong with you)

Comment

What if I don't care?

Comment

Originally posted by Balta666 View Post
          What if I don't care?
          Then I sure hope you really don't mind identity theft.
          "I game, therefore I am." - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

I am Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite post on Jeremy, aka The Quartering's, poorly managed website.
            Steam ID: Saul15 Discord: Trout#3435
            I love strategy games and coop shooters, lets play sometime.

Comment

Originally posted by twidget View Post
              Using a VPN is a start.

The man who makes money advertising VPN services recommends using VPN to mask the fact that you are a Brony.
              Opera has an integrated advertising blocker and free VPN, for the paranoiacs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pinkie_Pie_and_Deadpool.png
Views:	5
Size:	289.6 KB
ID:	64332

Games 2019: The Last Night - Biomutant - Doom Eternal - Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - Mount & Blade II - Dead or Alive 6 - Tunic - Pathologic 2 - Eastshade - Scorn - A Plague Tale: Innocence - Descent (2019) - Wasteland 3 - Ancestors: The Humankinf Odyssey - Moduwar - Dawn of Man - Code Vein - Little Devil Inside - Team Sonic Racing - Street of Rage 4 - DESPERADOS 3 - Kirby Extra Epic Yarn - Void Bastards - Fimbul - The Forgotten City - The Last Campfire - Outward - Devil May Cry 5

Comment

• Zagreus_Veritas
                Zagreus_Veritas commented
                Editing a comment
                A Deadpool team-up? I can see it now: "Pinkie Pie destroys the Marvel universe"
                Shit, I would actually pay money to read that.

Why? What happened to https?

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas_JCG View Post

Then I sure hope you really don't mind identity theft.
                What if I don't care?

Comment

• Thomas_JCG
                  Thomas_JCG commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Then I'll remember your name next time I need money.

• Balta666
                  Balta666 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Good luck (who does not love minimum number of letters...)

You can't find me on Twitter or Facebook either.
                Because you can't pay me enough to go on either site, it's literally Clostridium botulinum levels of toxicity over there.
                Last edited by Zagreus_Veritas; 09-12-2019, 09:33 AM.
                The yeeting of cats strictly prohibited in this area.

Comment

• DazoftheDroid
                  DazoftheDroid commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I like your made up words, that describe exactly what is going on.

• Zagreus_Veritas
                  Zagreus_Veritas commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You are absolutely right, I forgot to put it in italics. Fixed now, though.

I WOULD use a VPN if I could find one that didn't completely fuck with my computer's performance and also block me from some of my favorite sites who apparently don't like visitors who hide their IP address

Everybody says use a VPN but never tell you what the catch is, just like everything else in life. There's ALWAYS a catch

Comment

• DazoftheDroid
                  DazoftheDroid commented
                  Editing a comment
                  No catch, other than psycho people. I would say - use one.

Most tracking, profiling etc is done by cookies which a VPN isn't going to stop.
                Iconoclast

Jeremy: ResetEra is a forum full of outrage merchants
                Also Jeremy: Join ExclusivelyGames, a forum full of outrage merchants

Comment

Originally posted by aileron View Post
                  Why? What happened to https?
                  "https" hides your activity on a site, sure. However your ISP can still see you went to that site, but even in that situation a VPN isn't the end all be all for stopping tracking. You need to be dedicated to it, because you sign into your facebook account under your VPN, good chance someone could piece together that it is was you using the IP address.

On topic, another problem with https is if a hacker does a man in the middle attack with your IP address and redirects you to a site that looks similar. Unless you are vigilante, you could end up typing in your password on an unsecured site and have it stolen.

In the end, I would say having a VPN, is more to help prevent information from getting stolen, than to prevent tracking. Because a hacker can do alot with your IP Address.

Violence doesn't solve anything, my block list does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myWaa6xvPZ4

Comment

• Hyperweasle
                    Hyperweasle commented
                    Editing a comment
                    DazoftheDroid I agree, more protection the better. However I think some people are just pointing out that's it's not end all be all, because a large chunk of cyber breaches are caused by human error.

• DazoftheDroid
                    DazoftheDroid commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Of course not, but if you are serious then you know that already. Don't ya?

• Hyperweasle
                    Hyperweasle commented
                    Editing a comment
                    DazoftheDroid Of course, however there are some people who don't even know how to turn on a computer. LOL

https doesn't hide activity on a site, it just means your network traffic can't be intercepted between the browser and the server (it can be intercepted, but not read or altered), so man in the middle attacks won't work. VPN's don't do much about tracking you in terms of what websites hold against you, it just hides from your ISP that you connected to certain site, but depending on the VPN you use that might not help you against governments or legal requests to disclose. VPNs aren't really going to help you against getting your data or identity stolen either. Similar to https it's good to protect your traffic between the browser and the VPN server but after that you're still in the wild west and it doesn't protect you from viri, phishing etc. Other things VPNs are good for is non-http traffic such as your email etc, as if you are somewhere you don't trust the connection like public wifi then a VPN will protect your email credentials from snooping.
                  Iconoclast

Jeremy: ResetEra is a forum full of outrage merchants
                  Also Jeremy: Join ExclusivelyGames, a forum full of outrage merchants

Comment

• Hyperweasle
                    Hyperweasle commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That's what I meant, anyone outside from the connection between the client and the server you are connecting to is encrypted, meaning outside people from the connection can't see the decrypted information. I just simplified the explanation.

• DazoftheDroid
                    DazoftheDroid commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Apart from the obvious ("you don't trust the connection like public wifi then a VPN will protect your email credentials from snooping"), you are severely downplaying the role a VPN does. I won't go into it here coz it would be pages long but i will ask this:

If you are so sure, Aidy, then log in to all of your social accounts without a VPN activated. I dare ya.

• Aidy
                    Aidy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    "I won't go into here" - So give me a link. As for browsing the web without a VPN, I already do.

Originally posted by Baron Baldric View Post
                  Opera has an integrated advertising blocker and free VPN, for the paranoiacs.Click image for larger version  Name:	Pinkie_Pie_and_Deadpool.png Views:	1 Size:	289.6 KB ID:	64332
                  Yeah, "free" VPN's are known to be free because they track you, and record everything you do, basically negating the reason for a VPN. Well done.
                  Last edited by DazoftheDroid; 09-13-2019, 10:24 PM. Reason: My grammar sucks.

Comment

Working...
                  X