Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you play your retro games on the console they were developed for or...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's a pity but I do not have consoles. But I had PS1 and Nintendo DS when I was a child. Now I use Gameboy Color emulators or download ROMs from https://killerroms.com/roms/gameboy-color. Yes, playing on PC is not the same as playing on console but you can feel the atmosphere of retro games.

Comment

Depends. I love BC with XBOX to XBONE, I'll go that route just as I will with DS to 3DS or "up playing" gameboy > newer gameboy. I love and collect for that and in that notion I guess I accept emulation and enjoy it. I also really dig S/NES classics even with loaded games but I have a hell of a time with playing on the PC via emulator.

I like to buy my games either in a disk, cart or console and play them that way. If that means I can play on a mini, them good enough, if that means i can grab an Xbox Classic disc and play on the Xbone then great! I like those kind of routes. Once you just say fuck it all and just load it up on the pc then all flavor is lost, there is no reason to care about these games over any other. I always want to own my games that I want to play, at the end of the day that is the goal for me. Just like I wouldn't steal a NES cart and enjoy it at home, I wouldn't copy NES cart and be able to enjoy it on my emulator.

Comment

As much as I would love to play original carts on original consoles, the fact I don't have a CRT TV nor a Retron 5 has made authentic old school gaming a hassle, so these days I stick with ROMs or games ported to modern consoles.

Comment

Both are great but the original set up is my favorite.

Comment

A few systems yes, others I emulate.

Comment

anyone know of any good / reputable emulators?

I would love to play / stream some old vidz on my laptop, instead of dusting off the old consoles.

HALP!

Comment

Originally posted by Born2b_WILDe View Post
                anyone know of any good / reputable emuators?

I would love to play / stream some old vidz on my laptop, instead of dusting off the old consoles.

HALP!
                What systems in particular?

Comment

When I could, I used to still play in my Nintendo 64 (which I had since I was a kid) and a SEGA I bought in Cordoba while I was in vacation (Sonic is amazing!).

Anyway, I now don't have the space for them so I have them in display. I have to say tho, the most weird thing was playing the N64 and loading a more than a decade old safe of Rouge Squadron... I was stuck in the very last mission and still am.

The nostalgia hit so hard it hurt!

Comment

Depends, nowdays out of convinience I play my cartridge games on Retron 5 and my PS1 games on PS3 as I can just connect those through HDMI and don't have to set up my CRT, and I hope I someday can do the same with N64 games, but I don't have a problem with playing on the original console. I do like collections like the Genesis collection or the recent Konami collections, and also Nintendo Online NES an SNES library as well plus I bought my fair share of Virtual Console games.
                    Hail Kizuna Ai

Comment

Originally posted by Gemini73 View Post

What systems in particular?
                      NES, SNES, SEGA Genesis, N64, PS1 and 2.

Not picky... Just sick of pulling the old systems out of storage and setting them up lol.

I'd like to figure out if I can play them via controller too (PS3 / PS4). I can't stand using the keyboard to play vidz (outside of platformers).

Comment

While everyone enjoyed the good old 16 bit era my country went trough hell of civil war in the 90s Yugoslavia not to mention economic sanctions that followed the war. I managed to keep my C 64 when i was 3 my dad learned me on how to load and play mostly simple games like platforms or shootemup. Games like Creatures,A.C.E., Blue Max, boulder dash, Mario, Giana sisters Dragon Strike, Commando, Slicks, F1, Test Drive, Falcon patrol, Zaxxon etc. Now my C 64 could still work but i prefer to keep it wrapped up need some extra stuff to make it as good as the day it was bought, so in meantime I use emulation. Same for my Ps1 though i got it in 2001 and that was the time when we finally got our hands on affordable Pentium 2s and 3. I remember richest posh boys got the 1st penituim 4 1gig of ram and geforce 4 gpu was the king back then. Then i saw that games on pc blew the console controls, graphics and complexity out of the weather figured it out back then that only thing keeping consoles afloat is the exclusivity on certain Ip's. Since 2002 i was die hard pc user now if i can't play a game cause its on console I'l just play something else till pc relase or emulators do the job. Not that worried about being 1st to play the game. So in short boys, girls and attack choppas emulation is not a crime (especially when it comes to abandoned retro stuff) but what games industry does today to the customers can be classified as one.

Comment

Something Ive been reflecting on a lot as I see 20+ games preinstalled classic consoles remakes and generic handheld emulators is I'd like to see versions of it sold with every game on it. I would drop 200-300 bucks for say a Playstation one that came preinstalled with the entire catalog on it, instead of just a handful of games. I say this because I was looking recently on the Target website and saw a mini PS1 and it had FFVII on it and a ton of games I dont give a damn about. Where is Chrono Cross, Legend of Dragoon, FF VIII and IX? Grand Theft Auto? Twisted Metal, and all the Spyro and Crash Bandicoot games? Thats what I want and more, and since I can buy the few games it comes with on Steam that I give a damn about, Id rather do that.

Same as say the Super Nintendo or N64, or a Sega Genesis CD and Dreamcast. Slap a 500 GB SSD in a remake of the Dreamcast with all the games and I wont just pirate and burn it to cd. Or make a Gameboy color with all games installed and with wireless connectivity to other ones and I wont buy an emulator (or use my cellphone) and load all the roms on it myself. Im repeating myself now, but I am certain people would love to spend more and get something like that legally than do it the other way.
                          Steam ID: Saul15 Discord: Trout#3435
                          I love strategy games and coop shooters, lets play sometime.

Comment

Working...
                          X