Interesting lesser-known shmups?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting lesser-known shmups?

I'm looking for something to play that I haven't yet, and since I've only scratched the surface for shmups I'd like to dive down that rabbit hole.
    Any cool shmups outside the usual suggestions that brings something novel to the genre? A lot of them end up feeling like clones

I wouldnt call it retro but if you have an xbox 360, mushihimesama-futari is a must for a shmup fan who wants a serious challenge.

Comment

Star Wars The Old Republic has a shmup play mode that is visually impressive as well as very enjoyable. Its a little spoken of part of the game, probably due to the solo nature of the gameplay, but I enjoyed it as a nice change of pace from the normal gameplay.
      Steam ID: Saul15 Discord: Trout#3435
      I love strategy games and coop shooters, lets play sometime.

Comment

I'm gonna recommend a hybrid game

Click image for larger version  Name:	?u=http%3A%2F%2Fi.ebayimg.com%2Fimages%2Fg%2FfIMAAOSweW5VZh~M%2Fs-l300.jpg&f=1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	30.3 KB ID:	57689

The Red Star. Fantastic game that is based off of a comic I've never heard of. It combines beat 'em up gameplay with shooter gameplay. It also reminds me a bit of Cannon Spike. Most enemies in the game can be dealt with by using melee attacks or firing your weapon, so you can play it mostly like a beat 'em up and use your gun sparingly. However, most boss fights turn the game into what is essentially a bullet hell shooter with bullets littering the screen and guns being your own real option for offense since it's damn near impossible to get close to the boss with the hail storm of bullets coming your way. I'm not someone who typically plays that type of shooter, but I enjoyed The Red Star and was actually surprised by how well I could handle most bosses as I weaved through the storm of bullets coming my way

Here's an example of what boss fights are like

Here's a general gameplay trailer

Last edited by The Messenger; 07-04-2019, 06:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Messenger View Post

Click image for larger version Name:	?u=http%3A%2F%2Fi.ebayimg.com%2Fimages%2Fg%2FfIMAAOSweW5VZh~M%2Fs-l300.jpg&f=1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	30.3 KB ID:	57689
          I've had this sat on my shelf for about five years now, maybe this will finally inspire me to give it a spin?

As for obscure games, I need to give a shout-out to In Extremis on Steam. It's a wacky little shmup that really deserves more attention than the pitiful 7 reviews it has on there currently. It has branching paths, and different level themes, including horror, musical instruments and underwater. It's a little unoptimised, but for the price, I'd say it's more than worth it.

Comment

Here are a few wacky ones. I dunno if they are usual responses, but I don't hear of many people talk about them.

Parodius by Konami - basically Gradius remade with cartoony graphics, bizarre humor, and penguins.

Star Parodier by Hudson Soft - and this one is basically Star Soldier with cartoony graphics and bizarre humor. No penguins though.

Jamestown - this one is easier to find as it's available on Steam. It's been a while since I've played it, but I enjoyed it a lot.

Comment

I would recommend Raptor: Call of Shadows. Great action, excellent soundtrack.
              For old, new and even obscure game reviews, visit:

https://colapoweredgamer.wordpress.com

Comment

Better Dead than Alien. Menace. Banshee... Amiga had a lot of great shooters

Comment

Sounds like you need to check out the PC-Engine/PC-Engine CD/TurboGrafx-16/TurboGrafx-16 CD. That console was loaded with shmups. If the PS1 was the console of JRPGs, then the PC-Engine was the console of Shmups. Now, while I could just list off some of the best shmups on the console like Lords of Thunder, Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire, Coryoon, etc., it sounds like you want something more novel. So, if you're looking for shmups, check out the PC-Engine. You can also check out the Sega Saturn as it had a ton of shumps on it, as well. As far as something novel, I'd check out Ikaruga. The game came out around 2001 or so and was ported from cabinets to the Sega Dreamcast, but you can find it on Steam, now. One of the unique features it had was that there was a "polarity switch" feature. There are two different colored projectiles fired at you and you can change the color of your ship between these two different colored projectiles which will allow you to absorb one color of projectile while the other color will hurt you and you can switch the color of your ship or the "polarity" as you need to. It's an excellent game and absolutely one worth picking up if you're never played it before. It's easily one of my favorite shmups.

Comment

Working...
                  X