Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Phoenix Point Worse than Metro Exodus exclusive EGS deal...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phoenix Point Worse than Metro Exodus exclusive EGS deal...

Basically, this game has been a crowdfunded from the very beginning. It's being developed by the original developer of the X-Com games(X-Com: UFO Defense, Terror from the deep and Apocalypse, etc). The problem here is that they promised their backers that they were going to be given keys to redeem their games from GoG or Steam, but now they announced that the game was going to be an EGS exclusive for a year. Their backer's backlash is being swift and brutal, to say the least. Not understanding where this anger was coming from they released a statement not to worry, that after a year they were going to be giving their respective keys for steam or GoG to their backers(how can they be this blind is pretty amusing). And finally, since that obviously didn't stop the complaints they are now offering refunds(though the way they implemented the refund policy is a whole other story(basically is a mess).

I'm all up for competition in the PC market, I have well over 1k games on steam, 130+ on GoG, lots on Origin(plus origin premiere) and very few on Uplay. But what the EGS is doing is not bringing competition, it´s just infecting the PC market with a virus that has plagued the consoles since day one... "Exclusives". Will PC gamers accept this business practice? I for one won't.

So what have we learned from this?

Don't back anything, ever, just don't do it.

Don't buy Games that are exclusively on a platform that is not steam... take the uplayer launcher, its acceptable because you can still launch and play the games true steam)

Comment

I guess the dream scenario would be all the backers doing a class action lawsuit to get their money refunded forcing the company to go bankrupt to set a precedent so any other company would never do something like this ever again.

Comment

That is sad to hear understand how frustrating it is these days all developers are doing it to get extra money.
        I am honestly tired of seeing these shady practices promising their games to launch on Steam or GOG than backing down and go Epic Game Store.
        I understand the perspective of the game developer why they are doing this to raise extra money for their game.
        I don't know if all extra money they form Epic will go into the game or company if it really bothers you try to get a refund.
        But if you like the game and developer just accept it and next time don't a back game that where the developer doesn't guarantee that game won't come out on platforms that promised
        Last edited by Justinian; 03-17-2019, 03:09 AM.

Comment

While I don't get all the anger to epic on this I have to say what this developer is doing is a absolute crap and it fully disserves the backlash

Comment

Originally posted by Temuldjin View Post
            I guess the dream scenario would be all the backers doing a class action lawsuit to get their money refunded forcing the company to go bankrupt to set a precedent so any other company would never do something like this ever again.
            True, though I don´t think it´s possible since it's been crowdfunded by people all over the world, so regulations may vary widely. I´m pretty sure in the European Union they may actually have some basis for it. I see the possibility of a lawsuit being really low though since they are pretty expensive and very time-energy consuming.

Comment

Agreed. Years of work and scores of people's livelihoods should all be ruined because the maker sought a cheaper way to release their game. How dare they! I don't think forcing a company to go bankrupt goes far enough for such a heinous crime, these people should be put in jail. The cheek of them, trying to cut costs. What we need is a game delivery service that takes 99% of the cost of the game. People should work for years on something that makes them no money at all. Once this service is up and running and we've destroyed all game companies we can then turn our outrage mob on the game service for taking such a large cut. ALL COMPANIES BAD!
              Iconoclast

Comment

• Necromancerx69
                Necromancerx69 commented
                Editing a comment
                So you are telling me it's fine to ask for a reservation on a restaurant, pay for a delicious steak for your entire family or friends or even your girl/boy-friend, only for your dish to be removed from your table when you arrive and get send to the restaurant across the street.
                Just cause the Chef decided to work for the other restaurant at the last minute so he could sell his steak cheaper and get a bit of more money.

That smelly restaurant with lack of costumer service, bad lighting, ugly paint job, a place you would never in a 100 years take your special someone for a fancy dinner as a quick example.

For sure I would ask a refund in a heart beat, restaurants / chefs with that kind of attitude always end up closing within the year or less than a year or get negative reviews to the point you will never get a good job in the culinary industry.
                [ I studied gastronomy. ]

While I do agree it's a bit excessive to wish the worst on others, they (the companies) must understand the consumer is always right.
                If they mess up big time, there is no one to blame but themselves.
                After all in the end the consumer it's the one who pays for their service.
                If they don't like the service they will go spend their money elsewhere (in the end companies lose money and end in bankruptcy).
                One last thing, if the Epic Game store was solid in it's features (also no Tencent), people would not even complain in the first place.

Sure all companies bad. lmao.

• Aidy
                Aidy commented
                Editing a comment
                Obviously I wouldn't like that, but I wouldn't want the entire restaurant to shut down and for everyone to lose their jobs, of course not. There's being justifiably upset and then there's pure malice.

• Necromancerx69
                Necromancerx69 commented
                Editing a comment
                "There's being justifiably upset and then there's pure malice. " To that I agree.

A fool and his money are soon to part.

Comment

I forgot to mention that among the backers there are many Chinese gamers, the EGS is not allowed to operate in China and for now, the developers haven't come up with a solution for this problem. It seems they really thought this through... NOT. As soon as they saw the green they pretty much said, screw our backers.

Comment

Originally posted by Aidy View Post

Agreed. Years of work and scores of people's livelihoods should all be ruined because the maker sought a cheaper way to release their game. How dare they! I don't think forcing a company to go bankrupt goes far enough for such a heinous crime, these people should be put in jail. The cheek of them, trying to cut costs. What we need is a game delivery service that takes 99% of the cost of the game. People should work for years on something that makes them no money at all. Once this service is up and running and we've destroyed all game companies we can then turn our outrage mob on the game service for taking such a large cut. ALL COMPANIES BAD!
                  either you punish people who do anti consumer practices, or you led it become the norm in the industry.

we now know which side you are on Aidy...

Comment

either you punish people who do anti consumer practices, or you led it become the norm in the industry.
                    In this instance it is the game maker that people want "punished", so are they doing anti-consumer practices? Lowering your costs is anti-consumer? Could you elaborate why?
                    Iconoclast

Comment

In this instance it is the game maker that people want "punished", so are they doing anti-consumer practices? Lowering your costs is anti-consumer? Could you elaborate why?
                      They used people's good faith to get a interest free loan and then bailed on paying them back in the form of the game for Steam and GoG. What part of this seems beneficial to the consumer at all?

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas_JCG View Post

They used people's good faith to get a interest free loan and then bailed on paying them back in the form of the game for Steam and GoG. What part of this seems beneficial to the consumer at all?
                        So when a game is only available on launchers you like it isn't anti-consumer, but when it is only available on launchers you don't like it is anti-consumer? That doesn't seem logical to me, if restricted availability is anti-consumer then surely that applies no matter the mechanism?
                        Iconoclast

Comment

So when a game is only available on launchers you like it isn't anti-consumer, but when it is only available on launchers you don't like it is anti-consumer? That doesn't seem logical to me, if restricted availability is anti-consumer then surely that applies no matter the mechanism?
                          I'm going to go out on a limb and just assume you are confused and not something else entirely. People don't care that it is being made available on the Epic game store, but they do have a problem with them making it available on the EGS exclusively for a year. When these people backed the project they were told they would be getting the game on Steam/GoG, and now they have to wait an additional year for the project they backed to be given to them on the platform they chose. There wouldn't be an issue if the developers announced the game now also being available on EGS at launch, but they didn't do that and pissed off a lot of people in the process. This is very much anti-consumer.

Comment

• Aidy
                            Aidy commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I'm not ignoring your post, but it seems to me that you're making the same argument as Thomas_JCG so assume whatever I say to him I am also saying to you.

Andy i don't know why this is so hard for you to grasp this.

The Developers promised that the game would be available on Steam and the GOG.

Steam is the biggest and most popular game launcher which have more games and more users than all the other game launchers combined.

GOG officers a very unique service where they give people access to games that cannot be played else where "old classics" (unless you torrent them) and they also offer a total DMR free service guarantied.

Now, they have changed their mind and have made an exclusive deal with a company to release the game on a other game launcher and delay the release of the game by 1 year on the other 2 launchers, the 2 launchers they originally promised they would release the game on.

Some backers cannot gain access to the game they backed because the epic game launcher cannot be accessed from their country, so even though the game is ready to be played, they cannot play the game as promised... because the Developers lied, they went back on their word, what they did was anti consumer...

Comment

Working...
                          X