Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nintendo Switch Lite (5.5 inch 720p No HDMI)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nintendo Switch Lite (5.5 inch 720p No HDMI)

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_4271.jpg Views:	1 Size:	78.1 KB ID:	58451

After much waiting they announced the Nintendo Switch Lite, goodbye to the joycons and this does not include the HDMI connection, the screen is 5.5 inch 720p.

Personally I think it is a great disappointment that it does not include an HDMI port, it is much more portable because of the reduced size if it had a port to connect to the screens would be a more comfortable product than the original, I think it would kill the original Switch. Due to the reduced size they had to reduce the heat sink and the Tegra x1 chip can not work at 1080p or is just a marketing choice.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	nsw.png Views:	2 Size:	86.6 KB ID:	58455

Last edited by Baron Baldric; 07-10-2019, 02:58 PM.
    Games 2019: The Last Night - Biomutant - Doom Eternal - Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - Mount & Blade II - Dead or Alive 6 - Tunic - Pathologic 2 - Eastshade - Scorn - A Plague Tale: Innocence - Descent (2019) - Wasteland 3 - Ancestors: The Humankinf Odyssey - Moduwar - Dawn of Man - Code Vein - Little Devil Inside - Team Sonic Racing - Street of Rage 4 - DESPERADOS 3 - Kirby Extra Epic Yarn - Void Bastards - Fimbul - The Forgotten City - The Last Campfire - Outward - Devil May Cry 5

Was about to talk about it. A handheld only Switch has very little appeal, specially at that price point, with just $100 more bucks you get a full system.
    "I game, therefore I am." - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Baron Baldric
      Baron Baldric commented
      Editing a comment
      The New2DS XL only costs $135...... they would have to sell the NSL for $150 without HDMI and one with the HDMI port for $200.

Kinda defeats the point of a hybrid console if you take one half of the gimmick away. Especially if the rumours about the Switch Pro are true, which may go in the opposite direction (full home based console). Though I don't really see the appeal of the Switch Lite, yes it's nice that early adopters aren't getting screwed by this, but this is just going to accentuate one of the Switch's major flaws; the lack of power it has. Many 3rd party games are going to run absolutely awful on this.

Comment

Yeah this removes all the features that make the Switch interesting in the first place. No thanks.
      Check out my YouTube channel with silly Smash Bros. content: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCss...o9fW5snApff8YQ

Comment

• Necromancerx69
        Necromancerx69 commented
        Editing a comment
        Pretty much the same thoughts I have.

Originally posted by Thomas_JCG View Post
      Was about to talk about it. A handheld only Switch has very little appeal, specially at that price point, with just $100 more bucks you get a full system.
      To a point I'm fine with a handheld as someone who doesn't own a Switch and might be willing to get one for $100 less without the gimmick motion controls that the Wii made me hate. Also for me at least, I only really cared about the portability of the device rather than the home console aspect. However it doesn't make much sense not to have an HDMI port, even if it did output to a lower 720p resolution. The only problem are the local coop games that are essentially worthless now due not having an HDMI port.
      Violence doesn't solve anything, my block list does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myWaa6xvPZ4

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas_JCG View Post
        $100 is a lot if you're a parent trying to make ends meet. I said this when talking about this system coming out in 2019 and it is in time for the holidays. It's intended to be a cheaper upgrade for younger kids who broke their 2DS. I think that will be the biggest market. For user experience No HD rumble and No HDMI is disappointing
        I'm crawling deeper and deeper into backlog hell. Also I stream on dlive: https://dlive.tv/jokerthefoolio

Comment

This will sell a ton for sure as the most powerful handheld on the market and at a great price. Obviously I am not interested as it brings no advantages in comparison with the original though
          Last edited by Balta666; 07-11-2019, 06:33 AM.

Comment

I don't know about it not being worth it...I haven't had a console in a long time. The Switch appeals to me only for its handheld/portable aspect. I've seen people playing it on transit, etc and it's kind of f in' huge for a portable. I think I'd go for the Lite. 720 vs 1080 on that small a screen is not a big deal. It only matters if you connect it to a TV.

No one mentioned the processors or memory. Are those the same as the non-lite Switch?

Comment

• Balta666
              Balta666 commented
              Editing a comment
              Memory wise I doubt it will be different but the chip will as the first model was easily exploited for hacking. This model also has a smaller baterry but better battery life and I wouldn't be surprised if it ran games a bit better (frame rate, better visuals on dynamic resolution)

This should sell pretty well. The price reduction will appeal to those on tight budgets, and the decreased size and unibody construction will appeal to dedicated handheld users still hanging onto their New 2DS/New 3DS handhelds. All 3 aspects will appeal to parents of young children (cheaper, easier to handle/store, less parts to break).

I'm still waiting for the Switch Pro. Hopefully they'll go in the opposite direction with that and make it a dedicated home console.
            There's no way to delete my account, so I'll just put this here:

I'm done with this site, and will no longer be a member here. Goodbye.

Comment

• aileron
              aileron commented
              Editing a comment
              Unibody is a very good point. Any stats on those joycons? I'd be surprised if the sockets last more than 1000 times insertion and removal.

• Hyperweasle
              Hyperweasle commented
              Editing a comment
              I like the idea of less parts to break, even though I don't have any little siblings that would be rough with it. However simply taking out and put in the joy cons are sure to stress it even if not being abusive with it. I can't imagine motion controls enhancing any of the games that much and feel like it would be a pain to use in small areas.

• Baron Baldric
              Baron Baldric commented
              Editing a comment
              The New2DS XL only costs $135

I will say it right now, I don't like it.
            Why? Cause I have hands the size of a gorilla, seriously I heavily dislike Nintendo's handheld products.
            It just hurts my hands when I hold one of their portable game products for more than an hour.
            And just from looking at the pictures I can already feel the pain if I even dare to buy one.

[ That doesn't mean I don't like the games, I love them. I will simply never understand Nintendo's fascination with tiny controllers ]
            ( ´・ω・`)_且~ Would you care to join me for a cup of tea?
            Sips Tea Majeeeeestically!

Comment

• aileron
              aileron commented
              Editing a comment
              Nintendo is a Japanese company

But I hear you. Hands on the large ish side of medium.

• Jokerthefoolio
              Jokerthefoolio commented
              Editing a comment
              I've also got big hands and getting some plastic covers for the joycons made handheld way more comfortable

Originally posted by Majestic Boer Goat View Post
            I'm still waiting for the Switch Pro. Hopefully they'll go in the opposite direction with that and make it a dedicated home console.
            Don't hate me, Switch Pro will never exist, why?
            Nvidia doesn't make CPUs only GPUs.
            They would have to use a Tegra x2 (750 GFLOPS) against the 512 GFLOPS of the X1 practically no improvement.

Games 2019: The Last Night - Biomutant - Doom Eternal - Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - Mount & Blade II - Dead or Alive 6 - Tunic - Pathologic 2 - Eastshade - Scorn - A Plague Tale: Innocence - Descent (2019) - Wasteland 3 - Ancestors: The Humankinf Odyssey - Moduwar - Dawn of Man - Code Vein - Little Devil Inside - Team Sonic Racing - Street of Rage 4 - DESPERADOS 3 - Kirby Extra Epic Yarn - Void Bastards - Fimbul - The Forgotten City - The Last Campfire - Outward - Devil May Cry 5

Comment

• Balta666
              Balta666 commented
              Editing a comment
              Switch pro will most likely happen in my opinion however anyone that thinks it is to run their money against next generation is just fooling themselves (it should be a 3ds Vs new 3ds situation)

It's a flawed concept, people out there will buy it but I can see there being one major issue, the text.

Many Switch games already have barely legible text on the handheld mode & reducing the screen size will only further accentuate this particular issue.

Also, the fact that gamers have to check first to ensure the game will be compatible on the Lite, only further displays how much of an afterthought concept this is, otherwise Nintendo would have made this more apparant from the start.

Comment

• aileron
              aileron commented
              Editing a comment
              This is a good point. I wasn't aware of the issue of text size on the Switch.

• earthmanbrick
              earthmanbrick commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, it's not even indie games that have the smaller text issue, it's mainstream titles like Dragon Quest: Builders 2 & Minecraft that also suffer from it presently.

It's something that can be altered via version updates (no biggie for larger publishers - if they're inclined to do so) but smaller one-man-band developers will likely not have the time, resources, funds or experience to go back & fix it without sufficient play-testers to help them out.

I can see it causing a lot of teething issues.

Funnily enough with the 3DS going bigger, it presented no such dilemma but going smaller can mean redesigning from the ground-up to make the appropriate accomodations necessary, the gameboy & GBA saw such issues with many attempts at ports of titles, especially if they were text-heavy. Shin Megami Tensei is a classic example
          Working...
          X