Red Dead 2 launch is a total disaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Dead 2 launch is a total disaster

Broken, buggy and unoptimized. They had a year to do a decent port. I guess they couldn't.

Now my game starts. It just runs poorly considering what hardware I have. I made it from chapter 1 to the start of chapter 2 just fine. Of course my GPU is really loud and stays at 98-99% usage. My CPU handles the game fine, nothing odd there.

I preordered the game and it's been a total shit show. The performance of the game has been a total disappointment. Especially considering what Rockstar has in the recommended requirements.

I have seen audio dialogue stop working and that guy Kieran they tie to tree was actually backwards. The rope wasn't around the tree.

I am left wondering what were they doing for a year? What kind of incompetent team of people did they have working on this port? People are saying Rockstar India handled this port.

One of the most anticipated and hyped up games to release this year and the port is pretty much garbage. I feel like I got Arkham Knighted.

I guess all we can do is hope they fix it. I don't recommend buying this game right now, especially if your PC is not that great. GTA 5 gave some PC gamers, myself included, false hope. This gives people memories of GTA 4. Which was a notorious PC port for being unoptimized and running like trash. Rockstar fixed it a little a few years back but it still performs poorly.

How this game was released in this state is beyond me.

Hopefully, this stuff will get ironed out in the month before the Steam release.

Comment

Wel, thats surprising. If GTAV wasn't like that at launch then I can't see why this one would be, since it's the same tech, just better. Different porting teams? I remember Arkham Knightnwas apparently that way because it was done by Iron Galaxy instead of Rocksteady.

Comment

I still don't understand how this happens. I thought all games are developed on PCs, even the ones that launch on consoles, or are console exclusives! Also, an xbox is basically a PC. Shouldn't all games be "PC native" by default?

Comment

Originally posted by aileron View Post
          I still don't understand how this happens. I thought all games are developed on PCs, even the ones that launch on consoles, or are console exclusives! Also, an xbox is basically a PC. Shouldn't all games be "PC native" by default?
          Because there are 15 billion PC models, but only a couple XBox and Playstation models. And on these 15 Billion PCs everyone has different software versions and updates.
          Check any of the streams on Twitch. These guys seem to be running the game okay. They probably have monster PCs and keep their hardware up to date. https://www.twitch.tv/directory/game...Redemption%202

Comment

I wouldn't call it a disaster until I knew a) how many copies were sold b) how many people have had issues. If they sold 10,000,000 copies and 5,000 people have had problems then that's 0.05% - hardly a major issue. If 5,000,000 people have had problems then that's a different matter. Extrapolating a few reddit threads and some angry tweets as a significant percentage of people isn't good enough for me I'm afraid, I'll reserve judgement until I see some numbers.

That that I give a toss anyway, this is why I prefer gaming on console
            Iconoclast

Jeremy: ResetEra is a forum full of outrage merchants
            Also Jeremy: Join ExclusivelyGames, a forum full of outrage merchants

Comment

Originally posted by Borghir View Post

Because there are 15 billion PC models, but only a couple XBox and Playstation models. And on these 15 Billion PCs everyone has different software versions and updates.
              Check any of the streams on Twitch. These guys seem to be running the game okay. They probably have monster PCs and keep their hardware up to date. https://www.twitch.tv/directory/game...Redemption%202
              Exactly...different processors, different chipsets, different speeds, different video cards, different drivers....the possible combinations are boggling. One of the luxuries of developing for consoles is the known specs. Although from the video posted it seemed like people with lesser PCs were less likely to have problems, so maybe that's because their specs are closer to the consoles it was designed for and the problems are creeping in with higher-end machines when there is too much happening due to higher frame rates. Just speculation, but if that was the case they could just cap the frame rate, but maybe they don't want to do that because 89% of any review of any PC game is discussing the frame rate and capping it these days would make these people explode
              Iconoclast

Jeremy: ResetEra is a forum full of outrage merchants
              Also Jeremy: Join ExclusivelyGames, a forum full of outrage merchants

Comment

Originally posted by JackofTears View Post
                Hopefully, this stuff will get ironed out in the month before the Steam release.
                If they think they can get away with it and not fix this game the Steam user reviews are going to be really bad for this game. They are going to neg review bomb the hell out of this game.

Comment

A PS4 and Xbox One using APU's can play this game just fine and the game still looks good. But my PC with a GTX 1070 Ti, an i7 6700 and 32GB of RAM can't manage a steady or even some what steady 60 fps. That's total bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by Dub-Z View Post
                    Wel, thats surprising. If GTAV wasn't like that at launch then I can't see why this one would be, since it's the same tech, just better. Different porting teams? I remember Arkham Knightnwas apparently that way because it was done by Iron Galaxy instead of Rocksteady.
                    A lot of people thought the same way. I did and that is why I preordered. I figured GTA 5 wasn't bad and I bought like 2 weeks after it released on PC. I played it with a GTX 750 Ti. I didn't get 60 frames per second all the time. But the GTX 750 Ti wasn't a high end card.

Comment

Originally posted by aileron View Post
                      You would think that. lol

It's still mind boggling that they released the game in this state. They should have held it back for another 5 months or so. How did this pass whatever quality assurance Rockstar has? It's freaking unbelievable.

Comment

• Irritablesquid
                        Irritablesquid commented
                        Editing a comment
                        How's it mind boggling?

It's the standard now...

• Cuzin_Ed
                        Cuzin_Ed commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Irritablesquid A few bugs and some other issues sure. But this game is beyond that. That's why.

• Irritablesquid
                        Irritablesquid commented
                        Editing a comment
                        It is becoming more common for developers to release broken games and then fix them with patches later.

This shouldn't surprise you anymore.
                        Take this as a lesson, doesn't matter who the developer is, they can still decide to sell you a broken game.
                        Don't pre-order anything, it rarely ends well.

For one, you can use the little "comment" button to reply to individual people... I think. On another note, RDR 2 runs decent on my One X, but I'm also running 30 FPS. There were plenty of bugs when it first launched, and they were fixed. I'm sure the same will be said for the PC port.

Comment

• Cuzin_Ed
                        Cuzin_Ed commented
                        Editing a comment
                        You can comment or quote. Comments are really only for off topic posts.

Originally posted by Rowdy View Post
                      For one, you can use the little "comment" button to reply to individual people... I think. On another note, RDR 2 runs decent on my One X, but I'm also running 30 FPS. There were plenty of bugs when it first launched, and they were fixed. I'm sure the same will be said for the PC port.
                      That was when the game was first released on consoles. This game has been worked on for over a year. They supposedly already fixed all the bugs in the console version. So all they had to do was port it to the PC. There isn't much difference between consoles and PC's these days.

So why are there so many issues? Did they break the game and just release it anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by Cuzin_Ed View Post
                        Broken, buggy and unoptimized. They had a year to do a decent port. I guess they couldn't.
                        So, it ran better on your "peasant box"?

How this game was released in this state is beyond me.
                        Like so many other things.

What?
                        There's nothing wrong with picking the low hanging fruit.

Exclusively Games, the Fallout 76 of game forums.

Steam: old_Navy_twidget

Comment

You would not be Arkham knighted with it if you had not pre-ordered it. People need to start waiting for reviews before buying games (even more on pc where broken ports are something fairly usual)

Comment

• Irritablesquid
                            Irritablesquid commented
                            Editing a comment
                            As a wise man once said "stupid is as stupid does".

Some people are too stupid to realise the pre-order mentality is assisting the developers in their attempt to rip us off.
                        Working...
                        X