Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Alienware UFO. The Nintendo Switch of PC gaming.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Alienware UFO. The Nintendo Switch of PC gaming.

Dell decided to jump on making their own version of the Switch and I must say that I am intrigued. This defiantly could work out well for Dell to get into the console market and unlike Nintendo, since the UFO is just a Windows machine which can run Windows games, Dell doesn't even need to worry about exclusives or game support. All your games should just work if they meet the minimum requirements for the hardware. As a PC gamer I can definitely see myself wanting this when it's released.
    Hippity hoppity, your spam is now my property!

The design is horrendous but the idea is interesting, with all the PC games that don't run on Nintendo Switch they already have a lot of exclusive games reserved.
    Nintendo needs to switch to AMD Ryzen as soon as possible or the old hardware supplied by Nvidia will become obsolete and everyone will be able to make a tablet on which you can run games decently.
    AMD already has 9w APUs that run almost any PC game.

Games 2019: The Last Night - Biomutant - Doom Eternal - Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - Mount & Blade II - Dead or Alive 6 - Tunic - Pathologic 2 - Eastshade - Scorn - A Plague Tale: Innocence - Descent (2019) - Wasteland 3 - Ancestors: The Humankinf Odyssey - Moduwar - Dawn of Man - Code Vein - Little Devil Inside - Team Sonic Racing - Street of Rage 4 - DESPERADOS 3 - Kirby Extra Epic Yarn - Void Bastards - Fimbul - The Forgotten City - The Last Campfire - Outward - Devil May Cry 5

Comment

I am not so sure this will run games that well as when it runs by battery the performance is very different from a pc tower and contrary to the switch I don't see developers really trying to get all the juice from its hardware

Comment

• Hyperweasle
        Hyperweasle commented
        Editing a comment
        Maybe, but most PC games allow you to tweak the setting yourself so I can see Dell just relying on the user to worry about games working the way they want. It seems to be marketed to the PC community who tends to be a bit more tech savvy, rather than just a causal audience like how the Steam Machines tried to do and failed. I can see PC gamers who buy this going into their favorite game and messing with the settings and ini files to get it working the way they want.

I like the idea, hopefully it'll act like the switch and allow me to continue playing when I'm not at home.
      It all depends on how well they deliver the product, I'm doubtful though.

Comment

>Dell

No.
        Check out my YouTube channel with silly Smash Bros. content: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCss...o9fW5snApff8YQ

Comment

• WickedWolf
          WickedWolf commented
          Editing a comment
          Hyperweasle That’s actually worrisome, because I have an Alienware PC (not that I use it for gaming.) My laptop is also a Dell.

• Hyperweasle
          Hyperweasle commented
          Editing a comment
          WickedWolf I mean as long you aren't having any real problems and your happy with the performance then your probably fine. However the biggest thing is that Alienware is way overpriced for the cheap parts you get. Next time I would suggest to go ahead and build yourself one if you plan on upgrading. If you ever get the chance take a look inside your Alienware, I bet most of the parts look like something out of an office computer.

• Linkblade
          Linkblade commented
          Editing a comment
          WickedWolf You have an Alienware PC and don't use it for gaming?!? Ò_o wtf :P

This has me excited! I only hope you'll be able to have Youtube going (or other video sites) while playing.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Baldric View Post
          The design is horrendous but the idea is interesting, with all the PC games that don't run on Nintendo Switch they already have a lot of exclusive games reserved.
          Nintendo needs to switch to AMD Ryzen as soon as possible or the old hardware supplied by Nvidia will become obsolete and everyone will be able to make a tablet on which you can run games decently.
          AMD already has 9w APUs that run almost any PC game.

Luckily the unit is still a work in progress, this shows me that Dell is serious about this rather than just trying to ride on the Switch's success. It's nice to see an actual demo of the product reach so many hands to show that the proof of concept is possible. Also with it playing PC games you have the choice to lower the graphics and resolution to prioritize performance if you so choose, which is not something you get with the Switch. I'll admit though that I'm surprised that Dell went with an Intel APU rather than an AMD APU.
          Last edited by Hyperweasle; 01-11-2020, 05:58 PM.
          Hippity hoppity, your spam is now my property!

Comment

No real PC gamer is going to play games on a tablet. The Switch is fine the way it is. No one who is serious about PC gaming is going to accept playing an inferior version of a game on an inferior platform. The people who play games like Doom 2016 on the Switch accept the fact that the version they are playing is basically garbage when compared to the PC version. I have a pretty good gaming PC, I can play Doom 2016 at max settings, 60 fps and at 1080p or probably higher resolutions. I would never play a game like Doom on the Switch. People who play games like Doom on the Switch do so cause they either have no choice or they are fine with the compromise in graphics, performance and the loss of the keyboard and mouse controls.

The Switch is basically for Nintendo first party titles. You will never see a Mario or Zelda game on the PC. As long as Nintendo keeps those titles exclusive the Switch will be fine.

I just looked it up. No serious PC gamer is going to buy that garbage. Why would I give up superior performance, visuals and controls to play on a shitty PC/Switch hybrid? It looks like garbage and it will sell like garbage. All the big game media sites are whoring it out I see.

I will be honest, most PC gamers view prebuilt gaming PC's the same as consoles. Basically mediocre over priced garbage. I built my PC back in 2016 for $1,200. If I tried to buy a prebuilt with that kind of hardware it would have cost way more. Of course the initial cost of my PC has gone up since I dumped some upgrades into it. But it's still cheaper than a prebuilt PC.

They also view people who buy prebuilt gaming PC's the same as console peasants. It's just the way it is.

So how much do they want for that garbage PC handheld? $1,500? Maybe $2k? lol

No thanks, they can shove it back up their asses. lol
            Last edited by Cuzin_Ed; 01-12-2020, 10:07 AM.

Comment

• Cuzin_Ed
              Cuzin_Ed commented
              Editing a comment
              Linkblade It depends on what generation i5 you have. A lot of new games don't require the latest and best CPU's. Take the PC port of RDR2 as an example, it's recommended required CPU was an i7 4770K. That's a 4th generation CPU. I believe released back in 2013.So a CPU should last you a while. I have an i7 6700 and RDR2 runs like crap on my setup. It's not the hardware, Rockstar delivered a shitty PC port with bad optimization.

• Inkedsleeve
              Inkedsleeve commented
              Editing a comment
              Cuzin_Ed If you only have 4 cores and 8 threads by the end of this year you're in trouble. Sure, games will "run" but AC and Tomb Raider are already maxing out 8/8. The next gen floor is going to be 6/12. If you have 4 cores it is definitely time for an upgrade.

• Cuzin_Ed
              Cuzin_Ed commented
              Editing a comment
              Inkedsleeve No you won't be in trouble. 4 core and 8 thread CPU's will still be viable. The Xbox One and PS4 use APU's that have more than 4 cores and 8 threads. Yet they are garbage compared to modern quad core CPU's. Consoles are not something anyone should use to determine if PC hardware will still be viable. Considering that most PC games still recommend the use of CPU's that are several generations in the past in their recommended system settings. Like I posted before, RDR2 has a 4th generation i7 listed in their recommended settings. It's a pretty demanding game. Mostly cause of the poor optimization.

I guess if you just have to run your games at max graphics settings and 4K then yeah, a new CPU with over 4 cores and 8 threads would be nice. Especially if it's a poorly optimized garbage port like RDR2. Meeting a games recommended hardware requirements should get you at least all high settings at 1080p. The vast majority of PC gamers are still playing games at 1080p as well, after that probably 1440p. 4K just isn't that possible yet on an affordable budget. Most people who play games at 4k usually have to sacrifice something. Graphics settings, frame rate and so on. The consoles do this. Sure they might play a game at 4K but they aren't doing it at 60 fps and max graphics settings.

I think I want it. Most of my Steam library that I haven't seen in years was $400 laptop tier stuff that should run fine on this, and a good 90% of what I enjoy has xinput support by default. Plus, if I really want to, I can xpadder almost anything. Will be an incredible emulator device as well.
            Last edited by Dub-Z; 01-12-2020, 09:32 PM.

Comment

• Hyperweasle
              Hyperweasle commented
              Editing a comment
              Exactly my thoughts, so many great older and lower spec games that could easily run on a mobile device are confined to a bulky PC just because of software compatibility.

• Irritablesquid
              Irritablesquid commented
              Editing a comment
              technology has come so far in the past decade.
              I can play PS2 games on my phone with a good frame rate, phones aren't developed for that purpose so imagine what they could do if they put enough effort in.

It is Alienware though, so expect Alienware prices. If my memory is right their PCs used to be horrendously expensive.

I want portable PC gaming. I want portable everything. I'm worried about its battery life, that its CPU GPU will be under powered, and that it will be really expensive.

A few specs mentioned in here:
            https://www.tomsguide.com/news/alienware-concept-ufo

If it was a little smaller and had a phone in it, it could be my dream device: smart phone, gaming platform, and productivity PC, running proper Windows 10, all in a pocket sized device, that you drop into dock to connect to a full size monitor, keyboard, mouse....still waiting for that.

Comment

• Cuzin_Ed
              Cuzin_Ed commented
              Editing a comment
              Portable PC gaming already exists. It's called a laptop. Specifically a gaming laptop. You can get for about $1,500 or more.

I don't really care. I don't need portable gaming.

But video gaming outside on a wide grass field with a VR headset on to manipulate reality with user made content would be awesome. But that's totally off-topic.

Comment

• aileron
              aileron commented
              Editing a comment
              Not really off topic if this thing has enough juice to feed a VR headset...
          Working...
          X