No announcement yet.

Is Skyrim Actually a Good Game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Man, I bought Skyrim with my first paycheck when it came out and played it all day. Great game even if it's a watered-down version of Oblivion and Morrowind, but that's probably the reason more people liked it upon release. You know, if Elder Scroll 6 is more in tune with Oblivion's gameplay I'd be happy with it and I bet most people would be down with it too.

Comment

• Better than IV, in my opinion, but still not as good as III. Ever since I got into TES games, back in the day, I was always looking forward to a game set in Skyrim, so I'm a bit biased because of that. While it's still really good, it is lacking a lot of the appeal that made III a really special game. In III, it was actually worth it to explore and hunt for the most valuable and rare items in the game. Daedric armor was extremely rare with only one set actually existing -- unless you were willing to kill the one NPC who was wearing a full set that you could technically steal from. There were only three different helms, but while there were a couple copies of the first two helms, the last only had one copy and it was up to you to find it. That made the daedric armor, which was supposed to be the best armor in the game, extremely rare and a real treat to find, when you finally did. It made you feel like an explorer. However, in Oblivion IV, you get daedric weapons within the first couple of hours of the game which ruined it. Skyrim at least made it so that you couldn't get it until a bit later, but you could still technically craft your own which meant that it was no longer a valuable and rare item.
      III was also packed with things to do and places to explore and felt really fleshed out while Skyrim felt a bit empty and the quests weren't usually all that interesting or enjoyable. Overall, Skyrim was still a good game and worth playing, but it just doesn't live up to III.

Comment

• Originally posted by mangaka92 View Post
        Better than IV, in my opinion, but still not as good as III. Ever since I got into TES games, back in the day, I was always looking forward to a game set in Skyrim, so I'm a bit biased because of that. While it's still really good, it is lacking a lot of the appeal that made III a really special game. In III, it was actually worth it to explore and hunt for the most valuable and rare items in the game. Daedric armor was extremely rare with only one set actually existing -- unless you were willing to kill the one NPC who was wearing a full set that you could technically steal from. There were only three different helms, but while there were a couple copies of the first two helms, the last only had one copy and it was up to you to find it. That made the daedric armor, which was supposed to be the best armor in the game, extremely rare and a real treat to find, when you finally did. It made you feel like an explorer. However, in Oblivion IV, you get daedric weapons within the first couple of hours of the game which ruined it. Skyrim at least made it so that you couldn't get it until a bit later, but you could still technically craft your own which meant that it was no longer a valuable and rare item.
        III was also packed with things to do and places to explore and felt really fleshed out while Skyrim felt a bit empty and the quests weren't usually all that interesting or enjoyable. Overall, Skyrim was still a good game and worth playing, but it just doesn't live up to III.
        Skyrim is so much more restrictive on things. I first played Skyrim, but when going back to Morrowind I was impressed by the fact I could craft my vary own insane spells with little limitation on what I could do as long as my character had the gold. The fact that with the right spell I could nullify the negative effects from items like the Boots of Blinding Speed to keep the speed while being able to see was mind blowing for me. Since Skyrim is single-player game, I kind wish that they didn't worry about trying to balance the game to make it more mainstream but instead focused on the freedom Morrowind had. I just want an RPG with freedom to allow you think outside the box to create a unique character. Without mods, your character doesn't feel much more special than the average adventure other than the story reminding you that you are different and you are the legendary Dragonborn. For me Bethesda holding your hand and trying to make your character unique for you completely falls flat, because the only thing that makes your character somewhat unique is the ability to use dragon shouts, which whoppty doo, because other characters can do it too, just it takes "training" which means nothing in a singleplayer game.
        Last edited by Hyperweasle; 01-14-2020, 07:19 AM.
        Hippity hoppity, your spam is now my property!

Comment

• Originally posted by Hyperweasle View Post

Skyrim is so much more restrictive on things. I first played Skyrim, but when going back to Morrowind I was impressed by the fact I could craft my vary own insane spells with little limitation on what I could do as long as my character had the gold. The fact that with the right spell I could nullify the negative effects from items like the Boots of Blinding Speed to keep the speed while being able to see was mind blowing for me. Since Skyrim is single-player game, I kind wish that they didn't worry about trying to balance the game to make it more mainstream but instead focused on the freedom Morrowind had. I just want an RPG with freedom to allow you think outside the box to create a unique character. Without mods, your character doesn't feel much more special than the average adventure other than the story reminding you that you are different and you are the legendary Dragonborn. For me Bethesda holding your hand and trying to make your character unique for you completely falls flat, because the only thing that makes your character somewhat unique is the ability to use dragon shouts, which whoppty doo, because other characters can do it too, just it takes "training" which means nothing in a singleplayer game.
          You definitely had more freedom in Morrowind, but along with that went game breaking abilities. I saw a Morrowind speedrun, no cheating, where someone went from start to beating the final boss in ~7 minutes, because they knew what potions to make and where to get the right ingredients. You could get 100 Acrobatics(?) and practically fly around Morrowind by just jumping over and over as you walked. But so what? It was you choosing to "break" the game in those ways. You could also just play "realistically" and slowly build up your character on quests. If Morrowind came out now (ignoring graphical & audio improvements since then), I feel it would be panned by critics... OMG there are so many bugs! You can break the game by just doing X... No man, it was designed that way, and it was fun!

Comment

• Originally posted by aileron View Post
            You definitely had more freedom in Morrowind, but along with that went game breaking abilities. . . .
            And you can do the same in Skyrim but without that freedom. (Unless you mod the game.)
            I once forged a bow that could kill a dragon with a single hit.
            And brewed potions that gave hundreds of points of health/second.
            God mode wasn't needed.

OMG there are so many bugs! . . .
            Isn't that the something folks complain about with all the Bethesda games?
            Right before they say something like, "Modders will fix it.".

I love both games but Morrowind was my first love.
            Exclusively Games, the Fallout 76 of game forums.

Steam: old_Navy_twidget

Comment

• Originally posted by Hyperweasle View Post

I couldn't agree more. Skyrim is designed to be as accessible as possible and the experience that it offers as a result is very watered down compared to Morrowind.

Also, I agree that Skyrim doesn't really make you that unique. One way this hurt the game compared to Morrowind was that it never felt like you earned your titles and uniqueness. In Skyrim, you're thrown into the game, you take down a dragon and learn its thu'um almost instantly, and within the first hour or so of the game people are already calling you Dragonborn without having done much. In Morrowind, however, you start out the game being insulted and people there see you in a very negative way and it's not until you complete a large portion of the quests and actually achieve something that you finally start slowly earning some reputation. You really feel the growth of your character from being nothing but an n'wah to the Nerevarine. Imagine if people in Morrowind were calling you Nerevarine right from the beginning. You really had to earn that title and that contributed significantly to enhancing the experience and the immersion of the game.

Comment

• Originally posted by mangaka92 View Post

I couldn't agree more. Skyrim is designed to be as accessible as possible and the experience that it offers as a result is very watered down compared to Morrowind.

Also, I agree that Skyrim doesn't really make you that unique. One way this hurt the game compared to Morrowind was that it never felt like you earned your titles and uniqueness. In Skyrim, you're thrown into the game, you take down a dragon and learn its thu'um almost instantly, and within the first hour or so of the game people are already calling you Dragonborn without having done much. In Morrowind, however, you start out the game being insulted and people there see you in a very negative way and it's not until you complete a large portion of the quests and actually achieve something that you finally start slowly earning some reputation. You really feel the growth of your character from being nothing but an n'wah to the Nerevarine. Imagine if people in Morrowind were calling you Nerevarine right from the beginning. You really had to earn that title and that contributed significantly to enhancing the experience and the immersion of the game.
                About the title, Skyrim can't even be consistent with it. One moment you are be hailed as the Dragonborn, next moment someone else is treating you like dirt. If you going to give the player a title at the beginning of the game at least make it consistent. Skyrim puts you in a world that treats you like a king and a pauper at the same time, it makes you really just lose the immersion of who you are.

Comment

• Originally posted by twidget View Post
                  And you can do the same in Skyrim but without that freedom. (Unless you mod the game.)
                  I once forged a bow that could kill a dragon with a single hit.
                  And brewed potions that gave hundreds of points of health/second.
                  God mode wasn't needed.
                  I played Skyrim first and at first I didn't really like Morrowind, but once I got the hang of it the freedom was exciting. I can definitely can say that Morrowind is leagues better than Skyrim overall in the gameplay department. Also the game breaking items you can make in Skyrim are considered "exploits". So if you go and try playing Skyrim say on PC and download the Unoffical Skyrim Patch the modders removed that stuff because it's considered a bug I guess, even though it didn't seem to affect the game otherwise. Not really blaming the modding team, but since Skyrim was clearly intended to be restrictive that the little freedom you do have is considered a "bug" rather than feature. When I first learned of Morrowind's ability to make almost any spell you could think of, I just thought the possibilities of how I could abuse it and it was clearly intended to not be balanced.

Comment

• I uninstalled Skyrim when the Cretin Club was first forced onto PC players.
                    What the Unofficial Patch did is news to me.
                    When did this happen?
                    I couldn't find it in the changelogs.

Comment

• Originally posted by twidget View Post
                      I uninstalled Skyrim when the Cretin Club was first forced onto PC players.
                      What the Unofficial Patch did is news to me.
                      When did this happen?
                      I couldn't find it in the changelogs.

I don't know the exact moment it happened, the best I could find is this discussion on Reddit from , Authmoor, the mod author of the Unofficial Skyrim Patch getting into an argument with some with people on fixing the exploits. Some people weren't too happy about the fixed exploits in the patch.

https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/...fficial_patch/

Comment

• I like his, Arthmoor's, mods.
                        I use more than a handful when I last played Skyrim.
                        And I still have copies of versions 4.0.2 & 4.0.6 of the USSEP (from Nov 2016 and Mar 2017 respectively).
                        Those were the versions I last played Skyrim with and I don't recall being unable to craft OP weapons and potions using them.
                        Current version is 4.2.1.

Comment

• Hyperweasle
                          Hyperweasle commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Yeah, I think it was from a more recent update from last year or so. Like you said, I don't think it was in the changelogs.
                      Working...
                      X