Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Octopath Traveler is 30% off on Steam. Is it worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Octopath Traveler is 30% off on Steam. Is it worth it?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/9...PATH_TRAVELER/
    Last edited by Binmaniac; 07-12-2019, 11:00 AM.

Positives :
    Great visuals
    Great music
    Great battle system
    Primrose and Olberic's stories (especially Primrose's last boss which is my favourite)
    Characters are cool individually
    Well balanced outside of some endgame builds like runelord Tressa but overall no one is overpowered and no one is a dead weight if their level and equipement is good.

Negatives :
    here's how every chapter work : go to town, talk to this guy, use field ability, go to a dungeon that looks like every other dungeon and fight boss, I'd be ok with that if you don't need to do that 31 times (Olberic chapter 2 is the exception). I know every game has a gameplay loop but they didn't really tried to hide it in Octopath
    Dungeons look way too similar, they aren't gimmicks or ways to make them unique, the visuals change but that's about it. It's "go to the boss and there's one or 2 branching paths that leads to a chest"
    No form of exp scaling and characters you don't use don't don't gain xp so expect quite some grind
    Characters feel like they're aren't related to each other that much, each story feel like the character is alone because none of them interact with each other outside of some small party chat that is easy to miss because it doesn't trigger at the same time depending on who is in your team.
    Tressa chapter 3 boss and the whole chapter 4 are ass, especially the chapter 4 where it really feel like they forgot you had to fight a boss.
    Final boss is locked through some sidequests with a dude unrelated to any character story and you have no say to know that unless you have a guide.
    Final boss is either way too hard or you easily cheese it with 1hp Olveric and runelord Tressa.

It's a good game, but I wouldn't pay more than 30. It has good ideas but fails a lot in the execution.

Comment

It's a really, really good game with some neat ideas, but they really messed up with the Steam port price. I would say $42 is a much better price point for the content the game delivers, but if you are really concerned about money, I suggest you to wait, the fact they are giving such steep discount so soon means the game didn't sold as well as they expected, so it might get a permanent price cut, which will be lowered further with additional discounts.
      "I game, therefore I am." - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

I have the game, and while I enjoyed it for a few hours, the mandatory grinding turned me off. And I don't mean "grind to make the battles easier" kind of grind, I mean the "grind to make the battles in future areas not OHKO you" kind of grind. You'll get all the stories for all 8 characters started, but the moment you start to reach for Chapter 2 for all of them, you'll be required to grind for multiple hours just to get to one character's Chapter 2. And then afterwards, you'll want to see the other chapters for the other characters, so you'll have to grind for them as well.

I would still buy it, but I would wait until $20. Even $42 is way too much.
        Discord: Eighto#9019

Comment

Magvel My primary draw towards RPGs is immersion. If a game has bad combat mechanics or the gameplay is too repetitive/boring, I usually nerf the difficulty to carry on to the rest of the story. I did that for Mass Effect 1 and Witcher 1. When you said "Characters feel like they're aren't related to each other that much", it's letting me down a bit. I might have to shelve this game for a couple years and grab it when it's really cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by Binmaniac View Post
            Magvel My primary draw towards RPGs is immersion. If a game has bad combat mechanics or the gameplay is too repetitive/boring, I usually nerf the difficulty to carry on to the rest of the story. I did that for Mass Effect 1 and Witcher 1. When you said "Characters feel like they're aren't related to each other that much", it's letting me down a bit. I might have to shelve this game for a couple years and grab it when it's really cheap.
            They aren't related at all. You pick one character out of eight to be your main character. Narrative-wise, this change absolutely nothing, you just do that character's story first. Mechanically, it just means you cannot change your chosen main character out of the party at all, ever.

Whenever you get new characters, there is a small bit of dialogue asking your party leader (emphasis on it being 'party leader,' not the character/person themselves) for help, then there's a small flashback explaining how they got into their predicament, and then you follow through their story. Any other character you have doesn't have any speaking lines, and it is solely that character's struggle to the end.

Afterwards, chapter 2 and onward, your other characters will FINALLY have some comments to say about the struggles of the chapter character during and after the fact, but it's like the Tales of series where you go into the pause menu and you listen to the characters have a conversation. Nothing in the story involves more than one character at all, and if there are any speaking lines (I counted I think 6?) for characters that aren't involved in the current chapter, it is relegated to 'low energy' reactions to the current events that are happening.

I only played up to Chapter 4 for a couple characters. I've been told it is like this for the rest of the game, and it took me ~10 hours of gameplay to get where I was.

Having said all that, the battle system is actually pretty damn good. Not good enough to make up for the mandatory grind.
            Discord: Eighto#9019

Comment

Great visuals and gameplay, not too grindy if you like a classic turn base RPG but the story is very poor and it has one of the worst decisions in videogames I ever saw (final boss blocked beyond a series of side quests impossible to get without a guide or playing the game for dozens of hours and getting it by luck to then have to fight all bosses again just for a try at the boss without save)

In terms of price we are talking about a 100h+ game so 60$ is s fair price to begin with

Comment

What turned me off was running into a dungeon, finding that every enemy in said dungeon is weak to one element and one element only which is currently only accessible to a character I hadn't unlocked yet.
                Followed shortly by finding that not only would I have to grind to get that character up to party level, it was a support caster who dealt on average half as much damage with the element as my main caster, and oftentimes less.

This game tries to be both a SNES Final Fantasy game and Bravely Default 3 at the same time, and fails horribly at both, either you're going to love the grind or get bored very quickly.
                The yeeting of cats strictly prohibited in this area.

Comment

Working...
                X