The Legend of Heroes series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Legend of Heroes series

With Trails of Cold Steel III coming out tomorrow, I thought this was as good a time as any to ask about the Legend of Heroes series, and see where people are/what their thought are on the series. For those that don't know, the Legend of Heroes series is one of the oldest RPG franchises ever, as Dragonslayer: The Legend of the Heroes was released on December 10th 1989 in Japan. Since then the series has seen 14 main series releases, and 3 spin-off titles, with the 15th main series title already teased earlier this year. The current story arc going on in the Legend of Heroes started back in 2004 with the release of Trails in the Sky, which wouldn't release in the West until it hit the PSP in 2011. Since then, that series concluded with a trilogy, and games known as the Crossbell arc were released in Japan, under The Legend of Heroes: Zero No Kiseki and Ao No Kiseki. The Crossbell games have been fan translated as Trails from Zero and Trails of Azure but they've never released officially outside of Japan, despite the fact that the want and intent are there by Nihon Falcom. The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel series which started in 2013 in Japan, and 2015 for the West, just finished their conclusion last year in Japan, and are still going here, with a total of 4 titles in the series.

So long story short, the current arc of The Legend of Heroes spans spans over 9 games, with a total of 14 released, and the 15th now in development. The Legend of Heroes series is interesting because despite the current arc being 9 games long, it's all taken place over the course of about 5 years, though it is possible at some point it may take place over hundreds, if not thousands of years given the constant hints to the importance of the past. These games are also long, ranging from 40 to 70 hours to beat each game respectively. The Crossbell arc also is very important to the story despite only having fan translations as it coincides with the first two entries in the Trails of Cold Steel series.

All of that finally out of the way, have any of you actually picked up this series before? If not, would you? Unlike a lot of other RPG's, The Legend of Heroes series puts a lot of stock in it's NPC's, who will develop alongside your main party and any other major non-playable characters you encounter, even if their roles seems minor most, if not all the time. Every time you move forward in the series, the NPC's will react to story developments, causing them to learn and grow with you, if not teach you things along the way, making for a unique series rich in lore, story-telling and character development.

If you've played them before, let me know what your take on the games is, and if I got you interested, worry not, most of the games, save for the Crossbell arc and the upcoming Trails of Cold Steel III can be bought on Steam, and again, you can always find fan translations for the Crossbell games.

Love the series so far. I've played:
    A Tear of Vermillion (PSP)
    Trails in the Sky 1-3 (PSP for 1 and GOG for 2 and 3)
    Trails of Cold Steel 1 & 2 (PS3 and PS4)

Just got Cold Steel 3 earlier, I have Song of the Moonlight Witch but haven't played it yet, and I'm waiting on the updated Trails from Zero translation to come out. They're almost done with it.
    Check out my YouTube channel with silly Smash Bros. content: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCss...o9fW5snApff8YQ

Comment

Fuck didn't see this topic sooner screw it at this point it's known that I'm a sucker for this series

I just finished CS3 and it was fucking good. Probably my favorite behind azure. New class VII is great, I'm really happy we get Randy being important because he's so fucking cool and was my favorite character from Crossbell (shame they got rid of the PeTiote nickname tho the new one isn't as charming), Aurelia is also amazing I love her, Something that I feel isn't talked about all that much but that I really like is that boss where you're using 2 entire teams just to lower his health before finishing him with a 3rd it really makes it far more threatening than the fight against whatever the final boss of Cold steel 2 was where you had like 20 people in front of the boss but you can just use like 7 max because the game doesn't want something too easy for a boss that literally says fighting him is pointless (fuck this fight both in gameplay and storyline). The chapter 3 boss is my favorite in the game tho (while Inevitable struggle is my favorite boss theme nothing makes a boss feel powerful more than unfathomed force does). My favourite factions in the series are anything related to the jaegers so I'm really happy we get a lot of that whether it's Zephyr, the red constellation (Shirley makes me go gorilla mode her design is such a huge step-up from Azure) or the northern jaegers.

I'm a bit let down by the fact every girl tries to fuck Rean in some ways which kinda gets annoying or how Kurt/Ash play the good boy/delinquent duo far better than Rean/Crow ever did (Ash should've been the mc I love him he's so good) and of course some of the shittier characters taking valuable screentime like fuck Elise she's so bad and I'm glad Angelica gets shot, yes it's a spoiler but i don't give a shit she sucks. I'm also probably gonna get flak for it but I don't really like Musse.

Shame CS4 is kinda disappointing from what I've read but I'm still hyped for it (because considering CS3's ending there is no way 4 doesn't get localized in like a year or two). Also play the crossbell games they're great whether you wait for official releases (or geofront) or not.
      Last edited by Magvel; 11-04-2019, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Magvel I'm glad I already got to chapter 4 before reading that.... lol. Is there no way to spoiler tag on these forums? (wouldn't surprise me given how bare bones it still is)

But yeah, so far I'm loving CS3. I'm taking my sweet time with it too, 91 hours into it on hard mode, in the middle of chapter 4. I'm also pleased to say that NISA did a decent job with this one, which I was worried about before release. Compared to Ys VIII at launch, it's leagues better.
        Check out my YouTube channel with silly Smash Bros. content: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCss...o9fW5snApff8YQ

Comment

• Magvel
          Magvel commented
          Editing a comment
          I thought knowing it without any context wasn't really a spoiler but I'm still gonna edit sorry (and yeah there's no spoiler tag)
          Last edited by Magvel; 11-05-2019, 11:50 PM.

Welp, I just finished it finally after 110 hours, and sheeeit. That ending tho. That's how you do a proper cliffhanger (and I didn't cry, not at all............. shut up!). I can't wait for CS4.

The final chapter was by far my favorite part of the game, and I agree that the new Class VII minus Musse are pretty great.

Comment

Originally posted by Star Magician View Post
          Welp, I just finished it finally after 110 hours, and sheeeit. That ending tho. That's how you do a proper cliffhanger (and I didn't cry, not at all............. shut up!). I can't wait for CS4.

The final chapter was by far my favorite part of the game, and I agree that the new Class VII minus Musse are pretty great.
          I haven't had enough time to play it sadly. I'll probably have to wait until Thanksgiving Break to get through it all.

Comment

Working...
          X