Why do Gamers Pirate? My Feature Article

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do Gamers Pirate? My Feature Article

Software piracy is illegal and risky but gamers take to it regardless; we will see what makes them sail the seas of virus infections and even malware here and now.
    Love metal, hate metalheads. Love gaming, hate gamers.

There's the problem... I see piracy as someone who copied the game, and tries to sell it as original. That is piracy in my views. As long as you do not make any $$$ profit out off it, person should not be branded with mark piracy.

Corps love to brand everyone with brand of a thief. The piracy term kept on being expanded over the years. Right now in EU with article 13, making a meme with image from some movie or not your own original content is by definition piracy. Next step is going to be speaking or quoting someone/some movie will be fined for piracy.
    Through whom the shades and I;
    Hold silent converse with the warder of the gate.

Comment

• Balta666
      Balta666 commented
      Editing a comment
      I am one that says piracy does not really damages the industry possibly it actually helps however I would say that downloading a game for free is piracy as the publisher is not getting its money back.
      If we are talking emulation I would agree that is not piracy unless you're selling roms and that is because you can no longer buy the games to the publishers and therefore no real money was not expended

Balta666 Yes, indeed you have. I have read somewhere very similar article (or rather a paper of a journalist that was following crack scene).
    I know this train of thought, but you are already wrong on the part where you say "downloading a game for free is piracy because publisher is not getting money out off it".

The publisher will always earn its money, if the product is good. If publisher treat their customers right, the customer will be more likely to buy their product.
    Copying their title without any changes to their product, and sharing it (so people can copy it) on the internet. Is not piracy.

Piracy is act of stealing. Which means in turn that the thief is actually gaining monetary profit.

How can said person actually profit from the product, if he/she doesn't try to re-sell it as original, and/or as their own?
    If that person tried to do so, he would then commit the actual crime of theft. (cracking is illegal, as it modifies their application code, and signing it with their name as their own.)

Person who is copying (which is for his own personal educational use), hasn't profited in sense of money at all. Even if he copies a crack (only the creators of cracks committed a crime.)

In fact the person whom downloaded a copy may be generating additional profits to the publisher if the game is good, and that person likes it. He may even buy it, if market allows it one day.

Roms are even less legal, and problematic. You can buy those games on ebay etc, but problem is how they are being executed. Though if its for your own personal use - you should be fine.

Thats how i see it, I could elaborate more with actual law and reasons why; but maybe later.

Comment

They all have their reason.
      Celebrating over 1000 contributions of the highest quality! ?

Comment

Good article and touches all the main points of why people pirate. Publishers should realize that most people don't want to pirate, they just don't have choice.
        "I game, therefore I am." - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Thomas_JCG
          Thomas_JCG commented
          Editing a comment
          Zod Seriously, you can't be this illiterate.
          1- You are making some false equivalence here. "People pirate because they don't have a choice" and "people need entertainment" are two different arguments. I explained the later because it was the part yo seemed to not understand, which you still don't.
          2- Your opening statement was "people don't need entertainment". So I told you that they need and gave some examples. Why are you having so much trouble figuring it out what I said is beyond me, for some uncanny reason you think what I said was "piracy prevents diseases".
          3- You said that people could just rent a room if they need money, as if that would solve every issue. You said that someone that can afford cooking ware should automatically be able to afford food. Seems like the person who doesn't understand poverty here is you.
          4- Worse yet, where the hell did you pulled "compulsion to steal"?

• Zod
          Zod commented
          Editing a comment
          1- You are making some false equivalence here. "People pirate because they don't have a choice" and "people need entertainment" are two different arguments. I explained the later because it was the part yo seemed to not understand, which you still don't.
          I understand the value and usefulness of entertainment. It's not a necessity. I don't agree with you. It doesn't mean I don't understand you.
          2- Your opening statement was "people don't need entertainment". So I told you that they need and gave some examples. Why are you having so much trouble figuring it out what I said is beyond me, for some uncanny reason you think what I said was "piracy prevents diseases".
          You pointed out examples why entertainment is useful. You didn't establish them as necessities for survival. Entertainment is no where near the same level as food, water, and shelter. I don't know why you think it is, but that's really not my problem.
          3- You said that people could just rent a room if they need money, as if that would solve every issue. You said that someone that can afford cooking ware should automatically be able to afford food. Seems like the person who doesn't understand poverty here is you.
          I used the limits of your premise. Given that one can afford a house, a stove, and a fridge why would you be hungry? You didn't place any additional limits. I simply applied how I'd think my way out of the problem. I pointed out A way, not THE way. It's not my fault you used a bad example and I'm not going to hamstring myself to make your point for you. I didn't claim to solve poverty nor am I interested in doing so. But thanks for playing.
          4- Worse yet, where the hell did you pulled "compulsion to steal"?
          From YOUR statement "most people don't want to pirate (i.e. steal). They don't don't have a choice" The lack choice suggests they are being compelled to act or behave a certain way.

• Thomas_JCG
          Thomas_JCG commented
          Editing a comment
          1 and 2- It is a necessity as much as social interaction. You won't die because you lack them, but they are necessary for your well-being.
          3- My neighboring country, Argentina, is going through a terrible recession. People had a pretty good life, now they are making lines at food banks and community kitchens. Those are people that have homes, but now can't afford food. Just because you had the means to buy something, it doesn't mean you will be able to maintain the upkeep. You can buy a car but one day not have enough money to put gas. You can buy a computer but not have enough money to buy a game.
          4- You make a valid point there, but pirating a game isn't the same as stealing. Might be legally, but no one actually considers them the same thing. So rather than "compulsion", there is a "justification". People would buy stuff if they could, but if they don't have that choice, they consider it justifiable.

Originally posted by CyklonDX View Post
        Balta666

Piracy is act of stealing. Which means in turn that the thief is actually gaining monetary profit.

How can said person actually profit from the product, if he/she doesn't try to re-sell it as original, and/or as their own?
        Well devil's advocate here as I mostly agree with you. However the quote above I cannot agree as if you compare with "real" world and you go to a store and grab a DVD to watch in your place and never sell it back or reproduce it does not change the fact that you stole it in the first place and if you're seen doing it you will need to respond to the law...

Comment

Originally posted by Balta666 View Post

Well devil's advocate here as I mostly agree with you. However the quote above I cannot agree as if you compare with "real" world and you go to a store and grab a DVD to watch in your place and never sell it back or reproduce it does not change the fact that you stole it in the first place and if you're seen doing it you will need to respond to the law...
          I understand this reason, but its incorrect in todays standards since your are being given a license to use the software, rather than buying a product in this case the physical DVD. But lets smuge the difference, and lets say you go to the store pick up DVD pay for it, then went home and gave it to your friend, whom which then copied to his harddrive; Your friend then proceed to return the DVD to the rightful owner. Has your DVD been stolen? No. You have it. Corporate overlords would condemn your sharing the product with your friend as stealing profits from them. (even if he didn't make a copy, and just watched it as you shared your game/video with him). You would be branded a pirate, because you shared a product that was yours to.
          In same context lets say you lease a car, and you give it to your wife/friend/whatever to drive it over the weekend or something like that. The company lets say Ford then proceeds to brand you as pirate because person whom you shared your car with could -> should buy one from them, so they lost profits because you shared your car, where he would "buy" one instead if he hadn't have one.

Comment

I used to pirate games when I was in college and had no money. All my games were either pirated or free to play. After I started earning money I never went back to pirating games. Except for games that are no longer available like Deadpool.
            But during that time I still pirated other stuff like movies, music, books. And that was due to a lack of availability of these things in the country I used to live in.

Comment

Nice article, I agree with it overall.
              Especially the part about unavailable games.

Comment

• Turnikman228
                Turnikman228 commented
                Editing a comment
                Unavailable games, IMO are some of the biggest causes of loss for gaming companies. A cult classic like Soldier of Fortune would have KILLED it on Steam considering it still has a multiplayer scene AND its a fun shooter. Is it there? NO! It only took them several years to get it on GOG (the developer Raven Software is still around so what's the problem when it comes to rights?!) Turok 2008, Hour of Victory: I CAN GO ON! The gaming industry has a serious issue when it comes to giving people what they want.

• flewkey
                flewkey commented
                Editing a comment
                Exactly! It's a sad thing.

We just want to play games, some people can afford it some people can't. If my roommate pirates the same $60 game on PC that I pay for on console ex: RE2 and has just as much fun or an enjoyable experience playing it, how is he not smarter than me? I actually don't pirate games very often unless emulation and obtaining ISOs or ROMs also falls under that umbrella. I'm not saying that people who steal are smarter than people who pay for products in general and I'm not sure where I can take this topic besides this one thought that passed me just a second ago.
              How much would you price your favorite game of all time? And looking back on it would buying the game or downloading it without paying for it have any real change in your review of the product itself and make the experience any less enjoyable?

Comment

Working...
              X