Poll Review 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poll Review 7

Latest episode of Poll Review is out check it out!
    I'm crawling deeper and deeper into backlog hell. Also I stream on dlive: https://dlive.tv/jokerthefoolio

If you told me many years ago that one day I could play Mario Kart with someone on the other side of the world, I would have believed you. Because the technology to do that, the internet, already existed and as such paved the way to the future.

The technology to make VR a good experience doesn't exist, therefore it can't evolve. We are just repeating history here. Remember the Virtual Boy Nintendo released in 1995? Probably not, since it flopped hard. Here, let me show what Wikipedia says was responsible for their failure:
    Its failure has been cited as due to its high price, monochrome display, unimpressive 3D effect, lack of true portability, health concerns, and low quality games.
    Sounds familiar? Other than the monochrome display, all those problems still exist 20 years later. How many years it will take to fix it? Another 20? 40? Gamers aren't going to wait forever for VR get their shit together, so what kind of future can VR have?

None, I tell you. It will fade away just like the fad it is, then come back one day to haunt a young generation of gamers.
    "I game, therefore I am." - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas_JCG View Post
      If you told me many years ago that one day I could play Mario Kart with someone on the other side of the world, I would have believed you. Because the technology to do that, the internet, already existed and as such paved the way to the future.

The technology to make VR a good experience doesn't exist, therefore it can't evolve. We are just repeating history here. Remember the Virtual Boy Nintendo released in 1995? Probably not, since it flopped hard. Here, let me show what Wikipedia says was responsible for their failure:

Sounds familiar? Other than the monochrome display, all those problems still exist 20 years later. How many years it will take to fix it? Another 20? 40? Gamers aren't going to wait forever for VR get their shit together, so what kind of future can VR have?

None, I tell you. It will fade away just like the fad it is, then come back one day to haunt a young generation of gamers.
      Thanks for watching the video first of all! I have to disagree with your argument. Back when Mario Kart released in 1992 the internet was in its infancy. It was text only and a service that wasn't accessible for most people. I don't think the average person around at that time would be able to foresee just how important, massive and advanced the internet is today.

An internet good enough for gaming and VR are two different beasts but to say that it's impossible for VR to evolve is a bit close minded in my opinion. Before Kitty Hawk and the Wright brothers planes didn't exist. In 15 years from now we could have a neural link or VR glasses that provide a seamless experience. VR could also flop and die and we just stick to playing games like we have since the 80s. The Virtual Boy was a joke of a system and the Rift, PSVR and Vive are a decent bit better but too expensive and clunky to be mainstream. The past may influence the future but doesn't define it completely. I think companies will push VR for about 5 more years and if it doesn't get better than this era of VR will share the legacy of the virtual boy. Got to wait and see so from my end making definitive statements doesn't feel right but to each their own
      I'm crawling deeper and deeper into backlog hell. Also I stream on dlive: https://dlive.tv/jokerthefoolio

Comment

Working...
      X