Making

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making

SnapperTrx here, making wooden replica's of swords and stuff from games, when I get the opportunity. If you're interested in checking out what I am making please check out my Discord channel. Currently I sell something if someone asks to buy it. I have an Etsy store but I don't currently use it. If your interested in a build or in having something built or even if your just interested in seeing what I'm building please stop on by! I am on a bit of an FF kick right now, so that's most of what I've got here. Earlier stuff I didn't really take pictures of.

If you have any questions ask away. Also, my FFXIV character is Takhisis Darkhart (Lamia) if anyone is interested.

http://discord.gg/ATfp2gr

FFXIV PLD relic, Curtana FFXIV DRK relic, Cronus FFXIV RDM Mogfoil test

Looks rather simplistic. Not sure if style by choice or lack of skill.
    Celebrating over 1000 contributions of the highest quality! ♪

Comment

• SnapperTrx
      SnapperTrx commented
      Editing a comment
      With regard to which one? The Cronus is a very simple weapon, but due to its size I did stick with making it simpler than it needed to be, so I can understand where you're coming from with that one. The other two are very close to in game, though the Curtana is the one I have made more times than any other and is probably the most detailed. The Mogfoil is a first build test.

Neat. Would make great wall art.
    https://www.twitch.tv/coffeeandkeyboard

"Stay Caffeinated, Stay Overclocked"

Comment

• SnapperTrx
      SnapperTrx commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. That's pretty much what they are intended for since, from what I have heard, you can't carry them into cons anymore because they are not made of foam. On occasion I make some simpler wooden swords and leave them in parks around town for kids to find, sometimes with little notes.

• The4LeafDozer
      The4LeafDozer commented
      Editing a comment
      There are very few Cons that allow any sort-of-close-to-realistic-looking-weaponry in nowadays, so I get that. Also ignore anything a certain some one says on this board. It's a troll. Your work is pretty good.

• SnapperTrx
      SnapperTrx commented
      Editing a comment
      Ha, ha! Thanks! I just let it slide off.

Yeah, that kind of sucks since we have a fair sized Con here in town, but I also live near L.A., but can't market my wares for people going to any of those Cons either. No big deal. I really make stuff because I spend so much time working on computers and gaming I want to do something not electronics related. I just had a bit of a pile of stuff so I decided to sell some and give some away. Its worked out pretty well so far, but I can burn through cash pretty fast. 😂

I mean all of them. They have this certain prop piece vibe.
    Celebrating over 1000 contributions of the highest quality! ♪

Comment

• SnapperTrx
      SnapperTrx commented
      Editing a comment
      Because they are. 😂

I make them fairly simple so I can make them quickly. My motto is: "Fairly accurate replicas". I had a girl contact me from Sweden, she paid 500$ for a foam spear, the Gae Bolg from FF14. It arrived to her broken and the seller wouldn't do anything about it. She ended up having to try and glue the pieces together and was very distraught because it was so fragile. She asked me to make her a wooden one so long as it was recognizable as the Gae Bolg and sturdy. Suffice to say I was never able to build it for her (lack of proper tools), but I figured for what I ask price-wise a fairly accurate prop that can withstand being shipped and jostled around is pretty good. I could make a more accurate piece but then I would have to charge accurate piece prices, and most people just don't want to pay that. Everyone thinks that super accurate replicas are super cool, but they don't often want to pay 2, 3, 400$ for them.I mean, I don't sell many pieces anyway, but they look like props because that's all they are. If you want to be able to walk around with something that's recognizable as a paladins relic weapon without shelling out a lot of cash, well, I'm your guy!

Thanks for the input.

Originally posted by SnapperTrx View Post
    SnapperTrx here, making wooden replica's of swords and stuff from games, when I get the opportunity. If you're interested in checking out what I am making please check out my Discord channel. Currently I sell something if someone asks to buy it. I have an Etsy store but I don't currently use it. If your interested in a build or in having something built or even if your just interested in seeing what I'm building please stop on by! I am on a bit of an FF kick right now, so that's most of what I've got here. Earlier stuff I didn't really take pictures of.

If you have any questions ask away. Also, my FFXIV character is Takhisis Darkhart (Lamia) if anyone is interested.

http://discord.gg/ATfp2gr
    This is great work, do you use lighter woods or MDF/HDF to keep down costs/weight?

Do you involve yourself in other aspects of cosplay?

I have a freind that makes Batman suits for fun using easily attainable materials.

I personally make loads of 28mm gaming terrain from kits & from scratch. Mainly from free or dirt cheap materials.

If there's anything you're struggling with making, gimme a shout as I've got loads of cheap/easy solutions & can point you in the right direction for tutorials & such

Comment

• SnapperTrx
      SnapperTrx commented
      Editing a comment
      I try to stick to no less than poplar, which is a tad harder than pine and not as expensive as oak. I use MDF for making router templates because its much easier to shape, and I have considered using it in the past for some of the side pieces for a build, but I couldn't use it the main body, it simply breaks too easily. I could make one if someone asked, but I like to make pieces that, if they are cared for, will last for years. I have some different weapons I made for my son, swords and spears, that I made out of 3/4" poplar and did nothing more than stain. Some are 5 years old or older and they are still sturdy, though beat up because he leaves them in the backyard. I avoid using any metal screws or parts on anything, since I would hate to have one break and have a kid get stuck by a screw or something like that.

At my age I don't get involved in cosplay beyond this. It looks cool, but I think I would just come off too creepy at 43 years old, walking around in a costume if it wasn't Halloween! Just my personal feeling on it though.

I've looked at making game board pieces, since I'm currently working on my own tabletop RPG that requires the use of a hex grid. I've seen some awesome pieces created using CNC, and if I could afford one I would totally make a bunch of interlocking hex tiles for, well, ANY game, not just my own.

Thanks for the assist! I'm always interested in learning new techniques or refining the ones I currently use. I might post some build updates and stuff somewhere on the forums when I get to restock my wood supply.

• earthmanbrick
      earthmanbrick commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, getting old sucks when you have to worry about your image. Then again, I've seen plenty of disco grannies that can do anything because they simply don't care what others think.

My buddy is about your age & he dresses up for school special days & such & finds it's a great hobby for involving his own kids too.

CNC is cool as hell, I love the smell of freshly lasered MDF.
      You can sometimes find that local merchants/hobbiests will make you a whole bunch at a reduced rate (mates rates) for cash in hand prices (which cuts out the tax-man).
      Hex grid gaming is cool as hell, you could just create your own stuff making use of scrap wood. Just take one hex (as a template) to pen on the grid you need, cut & then add texture, flocks, etc..

Is the game you're making a fantasy, sci-fi, modern, etc..?

• SnapperTrx
      SnapperTrx commented
      Editing a comment
      It's a bit of a mix of both. It starts as two separate story lines, one involving a world with a fantasy setting that has been under siege by the undead for thousands of years and the other a story about animal/human hybrids staging a world wide rebellion on future Earth. The two combine when the hybrids leave earth after being introduced to the other world through the help of a magickal weapon and their leader, a giant mutant alligator. If you look at my profile icon its the character from the story, and the sword is the weapon. Players exist in this new world where magick and technology clash, and where the gods have been banished from interfering in the workings of mortals, leaving everyone to fend off the undead invasion on their own while dealing with their own problems as well. Its a tactical story/battle RPG.
Working...
X