No announcement yet.

What boardgames have you been playing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ludo, Risk and monopoly. I sucked at monopoly and in Risk bad dice roll always messed up my plans. As Ludo is simple board game i don't play it with my best friend unless i wear a helmet or similar protective gear . I don't wanna get him in Warhammer 40k board game. I like my friendships more than a bad series of dice rolls.

Comment

• Monday games this week started with a print and ply called Roll Estate which is part Monopoly part Yahtzee

Next was L.L.A.M.A. Card game, kind of an Uno type game but it would be better with more than 2 I think

Next was the first game of Risk Legacy, I forgot till I played it how much I dislike Risk

We played a couple rounds of a bumper car themed game called Autoscooter but it got a bit meh and we quit 4 rounds in

Stockpile was pretty fun. It's an auction stock manipulation game.

We also played Chimera Station and Last Will (both of which I forgot to take pics of, and Chimera Station deserves a good pic because it is a neat worker placement where you get to customize what your workers can do)
      Sex is cool but have you tried board games?

Comment

• Wednesday I played Agricola and I didn't come in last

Saturday I played some game about trees spilling their leaves all over the place called Bosk. That one I did come in last, thought that was a 2 player game so 1st and last were the only places to get

Comment

• Pentegarn
          Pentegarn commented
          Editing a comment
          Still don't know why, I just copypasta them from facebook

• Recently we have been playing carcassonne (big box) slowly learning all the expansions. Also sice I am a painter the group has been asking me to paint "armies" for monsterpocalypse, which is fun but the models take a ton of work.

Comment

• Monday we played another round of Risk Legacy, some German game about jousting I forgot the name of that doesn't work with 2 players, and Neta Tanka

We also played Joust based off the old arcade game of the same name

And Blueprints, which I always enjoy

Wednesday I got in a few games as well. Arboretum is a great 2 player game, but I am more and more curious how it would play with 3 or 4 because there is more of a gamble in the game

Crusaders Thy Will be Done

And Star Realms, where man oh man did I buy and use a lot of bases

Comment

• Monday we got in a few games. We got out an old favorite deck builder of mine called Eminent Domain. I have owned the expansions for awhile (for years in some cases) and never tried any of them though) so we played the first expansion. There were a lot of interesting new options and ways to take planets. However there was also a new technology that I found too easy to get the win if you went for it by focusing on warfare actions. I might just not include that tech in future plays

Next we played the FLGS's copy of a cool new roll and write from TMG called Rolled West. Wish the store would get a copy I could buy though

Next we played another session of Risk Legacy. I think we've reached a silent agreement to just bum rush opening every envelope and box at this point

Next we opened up Dawn of Mankind. I found out yesterday we played it a bit wrong, but mostly correctly (we got the food cost wrong and spent a fruit and meat instead of a fruit OR meat when we saw the food symbol. Overall a deceptively thinky game much like Tapestry is

Wednesday we played my top of my top 10 favorite games La Granja. I lost badly, but I loved playing too much to care

Saturday we played Dawn of Minkind again (which is where we found out we got the food payment rule wrong)

Then we got out another top 10 favorite of mine Hyperborea. Again I lost, but loved the experience

Comment

• Monday was pretty neat, got a few new things out and was utterly surprised by an out of nowhere game with a theme about parade floats

First was Coral Islands, which is actually 2 games in one box: Coral (top picture), and Islands (Bottom picture). Both are dice stacking games. Coral plays somewhat like Blueprints, but with a shared play area and goals instead of personal goals. While Islands is a move dice around the board area control game. I found I preferred Coral over Islands

Next we played Curios a game where 4 kinds of gems have hidden values of 1, 3, 5, or 7. The remainder of the value cards are distributed and you know what 3-6 of those cards are based off the number of players. You then use pawns to grab gems. Get there 1st and pay 1 pawn, get there 3rd and pay 3 and so on. At the end of each round whoever has most pawns at a particular gem site gets an additional gem of that color. After 3 rounds you sell your gems at whatever their hidden value is for points. Most points wns

We played another round o Deadly Doodles

And another round of Hex Roller

Next up is a surprise for me, Everyone Loves a Parade. It's a fun little game where you gain cards you use to make the best float. These cards also allow you to manipulate the crowds demands and then you get an Order card that allows you to pick what crowd you want to score off of. The lower the turn order card the earlier you pick, while high number cards get progressively stronger. It's got quite a bit of 'take that' in it but it's not mean spirited and kind of hilarious when it happens (especially because that became the part of the day where my friend Steve says "f*ck " a lot

And the long wait was finally over. Reavers of Midgard arrived late Saturday and I got to play it! Wile Grey Fox screwed up how the Game Trayz were packaged (and said trays were lower quality than Game Trayz is traditionally known for) and the cards did not have the linen finish that was promised, the game itself was outstanding. In Reavrs, you select an action, and then starting with the person selecting everyone does it. The person going first gets a bonus, 2nd and 3rd might also get a bonus as well, and you take turns doing that. Then whoever has the honor ship gets a second selection everyone gets to do as well. I think this is a way better game than Champions of Midgard is (which in itself is already a pretty good game) and it is also has a bright and pleasing presence on the table

Comment

• Played some 3rd edition "Arkham horror" lately (a recent acquisition). Had a late one last completing "Ryleh rising". Was hard to complete, but a LOT of fun. Took about 5 hours to finish.

Comment

• aileron
                  aileron commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Arkham as in the fictional town in Massachusetts... right?

• danskmacabre
                  danskmacabre commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeah. Lots of the places are made up, but lots of Lovecraft's stories are loosely set in New England.

• Last Wednesday we played Nippon, one of the gems from heavy Euro publisher What's Your Game. This one is about turn of the century shipping in Japan

Saturday I got in a second play of Reavers of Midgard. I figured out why I love this game. It feels similar in execution to games like Puerto Rico, New Frontiers, and Exodus Fleet

Monday we had an Old West day which was a flimsy excuse to play 2 new games and whip out an old favorite which all had the Old West theme in common. First we played A Fistful of Meeples, a mancala style Monty Hall type of gaming experience. I liked it, played pretty fast

Then we played an old favorite of many, Pioneer Days, a dice drafting game that reminds me of Oregon Trail where you battle disease, bandits, famine that can kill your livestock, and storms that can destroy your wagons

We finished off the day playing a action selection game that was a blast called Coloma, you explore trails between towns, survey rivers, build bridges and buildings, and set up tents in territories and on reward spaces. On a turn you pick one of 5 actions, whatever action gets picked most "busts" and you don't get the full benefits of the space. Busting is fun because we all blamed each other every time it happee, which was funny to all 3 of us playing

Comment

• Monday games started with Master of Orion the Board Game which is based off an old game for ... the Amiga maybe, I forget. It's pretty neat as games go. Action selection and engine building. I heard it's on the cheap as well at some closeput stores for a mere 7 dollars

Next up, Age of Civilization which is a tiny quick civ builder. It is packed full of modular expansions too. It's a pretty cool game actually

As a quick filler we played Skull King which is a more elaborate version of Wizard, which in itself is a more elaborate version of Oh Hell. l of which are trick taking games with some special trump rules in the mix

Finally a round of Coloma ended the day. Coloma and Reavers are both plesant end of 2019 surprises for me when it comes to what I think will be my favorite games of that year

Comment

• Boggle with my son. We weren't following the official rules, but he seemed to enjoy it, and bonus: LEARNING...

Click image for larger version

Name:	20191119_155249.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	74230

Comment

• Monday I popped open a couple unopened games. We started with Barenpark Bad News Bears expansion. It adds a z element to the x/y building of your bear habitat park by allowing you to build an elevated train. It also has more achievement tiles, an additional section with an alternate exit for the final tile and large odd shaped bear enclosures.

Then we opened the newest entry into the growing Azul franchise, Summer Pavilion. Instead of square tiles, it's diamond tiles now

We also played the first session of Clank! Legacy. I won't be posting pictures because spoilers and whatnot. But it is similar to Clank! but with that legacy mark on it. Sticker this, rip up that, just like you'd expect from a legacy game

Wednesday we played Empires Age of Discovery, I forgot what a fun worker placement/area control this one is as you vie for dominance in Europe and the New World. I played France and went with a full economic strategy which gave me firm control on second place

Comment

• Monday roundup again, but first we had a bit of Saturday Bordgaming where we plyed another round of Azul Summer Pavilion and Reavers of Midgard. Then a friend popped out a Kickstarter about butterfly gardens called Papillon. I came in second place aand lost by a mere 1 point. A neat looking game but the butterflies were horribly made, tiny plastic clothespins weakly glued to cardboard butterfly tokens. There's a neat look to the table presence, but very fiddly. However the game itself is a cool auction and tile placement game

Back to Monday then! We played Clank! Legacy of course (no pics because spoilers) I recommend this one, It's got a lot of hilarious flavor text going on, as with any Legacy game you get to name things once events happened and it took seconds for the name Maclunkey to permanently become part of my soon to be unique copy of Clank!

We also played Volcanic Isle, and up and coming area control game that has a throwback to the action points per turn game era. I don't know why games with volcanoes all seem to defy the laws of physics but this one is no different as your workers can carry moai heads (those big assed Easter Island heads) around their backs moving at staggering speed across the island.

Then we played O.P. Arena, another up and coming title where you put out "dudes" and these dudes are kind of a hodge podge of internet things and monsters fighting it out, the Kraken could appear and the Boogyman could kill it only to be itself be killed by Little Girl who is then knocked off by the flatulent unicorn all while the insidious cat causes chaos from a 4th direction, reminds me of something

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WgT9gy4zQA

Finally the day was finished off with a rousing game of Scythe

Comment

• danskmacabre
                          danskmacabre commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Volcanic Isle looks fun. Is it like some sort of sinking island and escaping type game?

By the images, Scythe looks fun too. I've been tempted to get that.

• Pentegarn
                          Pentegarn commented
                          Editing a comment
                          There is sinking in Volcanic Isle, but it is more a press your luck game with a bit of screwing your neighbor thrown in.

Scythe is above all else, a euro styled game with an Ameritrash look. People either think it is a game where the figs distract you from hollow game play (nothing could be further from the truth) or that it is a war type game (battle is a tiny part of the game unless you play the black faction, and each battle can hurt your popularity stat in game which effect your end game score)

• I play A Game of Thrones, Ultimate Werewolf, -Pop-Up Pirate!,...some board games on mobile from techbigs.

Comment

• Another round of Clank! Legacy (we're 3 of 10 games in at this point, and sans pics to avoid spoilers... it just occurred to me I will never be able to take a pic of this game because the board itself is spoilerriffic, which is kind of sad)

In any event that evening we boardgamed like it's early to mid 2000s

We started with Puerto Rico, which is one of the few 10/10 games I have given

Then we followed that up with Race for the Galaxy. At some point I said "If I didn't know better I'd swear I was back in 2007 playing board games"

Comment

Working...
                          X