Pimp my board game!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pimp my board game!

Hello fellows! Any of you ever think "Man, love this board game but I really want to upgrade these components" I know I have, so I want to make a thread for myself and people like me who have pimped their board game in various ways, show off those hand crafted pieces, 3d printed upgrades, or any other way you pimped a favorite board game out. I will post a few shortly as wel
    Sex is cool but have you tried board games?

Tzolk'in the Mayan Calender is one of my favorite worker placement games. I and my girlfriend have upgraded the game many times.

In this pic I show the results of a paint job on the gears on the board that I paid a local artist to paint in his vision. He decided to give it a worn stone look, and at the end ov various spokes, he had blood splatters to show a worker who was left on the gears too long getting squished

My girlfriend replaced the corn tokens with wooden corn meeples and she hand crafted gold, stone and wood pieces to replace the resource cubes (bonus close up of a blood splattered spoke in the upper left)

I replaced the workers with 3d printed tiki shaped workers I ordered off etsy

I replaced the round discs hat represent the God track and technology tracks with a 3d printed set of bottles I also ordered off of etsy

Comment

Terraforming Mars is a very popular game but the components are junk (especially the player boards, which I have ordered replacements for which will be coming very soon)

Girlfriend ordered replacement 3d printed tiles for the forests, cities oceans, and specialty tiles from etsy

Comment

Another long time favorite worker placement game of mine is Lords of Waterdeep. My gf and I replaced almost everything in the game (including the box it came in) with upgrades. I think at this point the faction boards, game boards, cards, and building tiles are all that is left of the original game

Workers and rubies placed on unbuilt building tiles. The workers were hand crafted by the gf while he rubies are from meeple source

We also replaced the building markers with 3d printed building tokens and the cubes with meeples that represent their classes (pictured are the white cubes which are clerics)

Comment

One of my girlfriend's favorite games is Finca, so I got her a full etsy crafted upgrade kit with fruits, workers, and fincas all hand crafted and sold by some artist on etsy who was pretty good, whoever she was (I forget) she even included nice boxes to put them in

Comment

That's impressive work, far better than many of the "professional" made items that comes with the games.
            "I game, therefore I am." - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Man, that looks amazing

Comment

I’ve been considering upgrading the cardboard token enemies in the Fallout board game with the figures you can buy for Fallout Wasteland Warfare. The only problem is that it’s gonna be expennnnsive to do so.

Comment

• Pentegarn
                  Pentegarn commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeah the whole pimping aspect can get costly. I did a cost inventory out of curiosity of what I poured into Lords and overall the bill was about 500 dollars over the years for that game. It jarred me that it had gotten that high. But a coin upgrade here, a overhauled box from Broken Token there, and these things start adding up before you realize

Scythe's neoprene mat that replaces the game board is quite nice

Comment

I can't see the photos. Is it just me?

Comment

• Pentegarn
                    Pentegarn commented
                    Editing a comment
                    So when you first posted this I had no idea what was going on, but this morning I also had that same problem, I just refreshed the page though and it reloaded the images

Scythe, in my opinion, is a happy medium, but I mean on one end you have Carcassonne when it comes to the euro games and other light boardgames and then... you have kingdom death...
                  I think it is cool if you can pimp things without hassle, but it seems that keeping a collection of board games can be a hassle at times, so just keep it light.

but I must say those 3D prints of settlers look great I would love to play like that, but keyword is play I would hate to print anything like that, I might pay 20 dollars for the stuff but I paint miniatures do I really need more hassles?

Comment

Since I played Istanbul recently I get a chance to show off the wooden frame that holds all the location tiles in place so they aren't sliding around

Comment

Targi with "Deluxe" salt and pepper tokens

Comment

I always liked to think up and supplement the old games to make it more interesting, but I was always afraid to do this because I thought that it would upset the balance of the game. You inspired me, still try

My friend was inspired by these games a month ago, he says he came up with his own game and the universe. I decided to order the drawings and now prepare the rules for the game, don’t tell anyone anything, say that you will know when the time is right, but it’s so interesting!

Comment

• Pentegarn
                          Pentegarn commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Well mostly what I am doing it merely using "better looking" components. It doesn't alter game play, it just alters the aesthetic of the bits in the game. They are functionally the same though. A salt token is no different in the game than a packet of salt. A 3d printed tiny house toke serves the same purpose as a cardboard marker of the same color would. One is just neater to look at and touch
                      Working...
                      X