Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Games that didn't make it, the hall of shame.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Games that didn't make it, the hall of shame.

I really wanted to enjoy these games, but could not.

http://madblog.shacknet.us/games-tha...quite-make-it/
    Click here for all my game reviews. or Click here for my PC hardware history from 1991

Very interesting and well written. Doom was a game that bounced off me several times before sticking. The others, I wouldn't play even if I was paid for it.
    Sig Changed due to Mods being too slow to take action.

Comment

Link doesn't work for me qq.

Comment

• MadMummy76
        MadMummy76 commented
        Editing a comment
        What does qq mean?

• BlueWizard
        BlueWizard commented
        Editing a comment
        It's a "crying" emote, much like " T_T " for example.

Interesting how you didn't like DOOM for its lack of engaging story. I feel the opposite, I loved it exactly because it's just pure, unadulterated gameplay. It doesn't need an engaging story to be complete. The general atmosphere is a good enough substitute to the story, if you know what I mean.

I don't criticize your opinion, to each their own after all, but you're missing out on a great game !

Comment

Originally posted by BlueWizard View Post
        Interesting how you didn't like DOOM for its lack of engaging story. I feel the opposite, I loved it exactly because it's just pure, unadulterated gameplay. It doesn't need an engaging story to be complete. The general atmosphere is a good enough substitute to the story, if you know what I mean.

I don't criticize your opinion, to each their own after all, but you're missing out on a great game !
        Well after 2 hours I can safely say that I'm not missing anything I'd regret. BTW I neglected to mention one more thing in the article that this doom felt more like a quake 2 remake than anything else. Not that I didn't like Quake 2, but that was then, 20 years ago I was willing to play a shooter for gameplay alone, in fact I didn't play it for anything else. But as we age our tastes evolve and change. And by evolve I don't want to claim superiority, someone's taste might evolve in the opposing direction. It's just so that nowadays I need games to have a significant narrative to keep me interested, this is especially true for shooters. But I'm also very reluctant to play racing sims that don't have a career mode, and therefore something to strive for apart from playing for the sake of it.
        Click here for all my game reviews. or Click here for my PC hardware history from 1991

Comment

I got to see it on my phone now. Seems like you played 3 different gun-oriented action games and your first complaint was story. It seems to me you're just in the mood for a story driven game and are scratching in the wrong place.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghaleon View Post
            I got to see it on my phone now. Seems like you played 3 different gun-oriented action games and your first complaint was story. It seems to me you're just in the mood for a story driven game and are scratching in the wrong place.
            So? A shooter can't have a proper story that's what you're saying? Besides my problem with new dawn had nothing to do with the story.
            And if Doom had more interesting exploration I might have kept with it regardless of the lack of story emphasis.

Comment

I can't look at it again (now that I'm at home again, weird), but I'm pretty sure it was story you complained about with all 3... No need to be defensive. I'm not dissing your opinion, just saying what I perceive to help you with what you want.

I never said shooters can't have a story, just that you are selecting ACTION based shooters, then complaining about their story. I personally don't know any shooters with a good story but I don't think it's impossible for one to lack it. I did like Doom 3 not because it had a grand story or anything, but because I enjoyed its setting and lore more for example.Then there's mass effect, which I don't like, but many people do for story despite having a similar combat mechanic.

Just trying to say that I think you're grading these games with a desire for a different kind of game.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghaleon View Post
                I can't look at it again (now that I'm at home again, weird), but I'm pretty sure it was story you complained about with all 3... No need to be defensive. I'm not dissing your opinion, just saying what I perceive to help you with what you want.

I never said shooters can't have a story, just that you are selecting ACTION based shooters, then complaining about their story. I personally don't know any shooters with a good story but I don't think it's impossible for one to lack it. I did like Doom 3 not because it had a grand story or anything, but because I enjoyed its setting and lore more for example.Then there's mass effect, which I don't like, but many people do for story despite having a similar combat mechanic.

Just trying to say that I think you're grading these games with a desire for a different kind of game.
                i'm not being defensive just stating that with all three games I've had other issues than a lack of story. And with new dawn I didn't even mention the story.
                I don't desire different games, I enjoy shooters as long as they have a convincing and engaging narrative. Like COD Infinite Warfare for example.

Comment

For me pretty much every traditional MMORPG out there. I find them pointless. Even with recent games trying to have a story I can't get into them. The MMOs I put the most time are star trek online and star wars the old republic. I like SW and ST and everyone was just saying the SW got story like the elden times and the STO is a true successor to games like starfleet command and what not.

SWTOR: No story can save this one. The game nearly died on release and EA had to turn it into F2P. It is BOOOOOORING. Most of the time you will run around vast empty areas that serve no purpose and when there is combat you just tap some cooldown abilities. And that is basically it. In KOTOR 1&2 you could break into homes, hack panels, approach missions in different ways etc. The worlds were smaller but there were things you could do. The systems were real RPG and not some genero MMO stuff they just copied from other games. They say the new story expansions are good, but I doubt they would change the mechanics to match those of KOTOR.

STO: ugh, overly complicated and not very polished. Characters take time to show up, clipping and other good stuff. It is VERY repetitious. Go on a mission, fight in ships, then go on foot fight/do the thing, then go back to ship, fight or complete the mission. Every mission goes like this. The story is not very good either. STO vomits the entire star trek lore on your face(even the bits people don't like) in the worst way possible.

Comment

Working...
                  X