Daily Poll Nineteen: Do you prefer JRPGs or Western RPGs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Merlin View Post
    I think the JRPG games are easier to not screw up. There are also not as many western RPG titles, but I think I only slightly more enjoy JRPGs. But I must admit I spent a lot of time in skyrim, and yet I have more fond memories of playing JRPGs I've spent far less time playing.
    It's a lot easier to make a quality turn based RPG, then it is to make a quality action/RPG(Action/RPGs are so limiting by design, there's only so much you can do), this is true, but westurn studios also focus more on graphic "power", then actual gameplay, so It's their own fault they can rarely make a game that doesn't suck.

Comment

JRPGs all the way. I like games that have mechanically deep systems more than I like more open-ended "make your own fun" type games. A lot more JRPGs have turn based battle systems or at least a more rigid and well defined combat system, so often they are more fun for me because they have elements that can be dissected and manipulated beyond simply mashing the attack button. Sure, there are moments of what I like to call Spreadsheet Kombat in JRPGs where enemies can wreck you immediately because your stats aren't good enough, but the best JRPGs have at least decent pacing to make sure you never really have those moments in any given playthrough unless you choose not to do combat like in the Persona series. Western RPGs are like... Diet Tolkien DnD most of the time. Too open-ended to have a focused main campaign like Skyrim, and with a lot more busywork in between important quests. Spreadsheet Kombat is made worse because the combat systems in Beth games especially are too clunky, slow, and not really based in any mechanical skill (except for maybe parrying in ES or just choosing not to use VATS in Fallout).

Comment

I prefer JRPGs, if only because they often have more imagination put into them than WRPGs. Fantasy WRPG settings tend to be very formulaic, and the creators try way too hard to emulate Tolkien's works instead of coming up with their own ideas. Modern/futuristic WRPGs often try way too hard to emulate Star Wars/Star Trek. There are good and bad games in each category, though.
        The corporations are not our friends, and many are ideologically opposed to us. If we want to see our style of entertainment survive, we must not rely on them to make it for us. We need to start making the kind of content we want to see.

Comment

• Baron Baldric
          Baron Baldric commented
          Editing a comment
          European mythology has inspired games like Zelda (O.0)

• Merlin
          Merlin commented
          Editing a comment
          most JRPGs also heavily invest in the same fantasy tropes though too...Its just that I remember the characters more in the ones made in Japan. Though I will admit that whatever the hell genre you'd shove the xeno series into has some unique ideas...even if I do hate nopons. I'm noppist.

I play alot more JRPGs than I do WRPGs. They're more likely to be finished as a product and there's barely any controversy (loot boxes, devs attacking fandom) involving them except sjws whining about characters looking too attractive.
        "He who dares not offend
        cannot be honest."

-Thomas Paine

Comment

JRPGs

Comment

I voted for both, but I have a slight preference toward JRPGs as I'm more likely to be interested in buying them, and I've played far more JRPGs over the years. However, when I do get a good western RPG, I tend to sink more hours into it on average than I normally would a JRPG.
            Check out my YouTube channel with silly Smash Bros. content: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCss...o9fW5snApff8YQ

Comment

Originally posted by LandPirate

Is Zelda an RPG? Is Horizon Zero Dawn? Is Batman Arkham Asylum?
              The answer is none of those is a RPG (definitely not Zelda's)

Comment

I don't really know the difference between the two. The only RPGs I know of are story-based and loot/stat-based. When it comes to that, I prefer story.

Comment

This is a tough one. I voted for liking both equally. I love Final Fantasy, but it's hard to think of other JRPGs that I've loved, and most of the ones I have played I've found hard to get in to. As for Western RPGs, Skyrim, Fallout, Dragon Age etc, while their stories and characters can't match games like Final Fantasy games, I still love the setting and atmosphere, and I almost always have a good time playing them.

Comment

Let's say 90% JRPGs, 10% WRPGs, but just like with my gaming in general it's moving towards japanese games only more and more.
                    Hail Kizuna Ai

Comment

I said it in one of my unpopular opinion posts, but great JRPG's are always better than great Western RPG's, and the Witcher 3 is the only game that doesn't abide by that rule.

Comment

Would someone be kind enough to fill me in on the definition of a WRPG? I'm guessing it's still like Skyrim or The Witcher 3 for example. Are we just classing things like Baldur's Gate as CRPGs these days? Either way... if I had to choose in order of preference:

Turn Based CRPG
                        JRPG
                        Real Time CRPG
                        WRPG (The Witcher 3 is a hard exception to this... and I'm going to include Deus Ex here as well. It's just as much an RPG as an action game, particularly the original)

Comment

I strongly prefer JRPGs. I do happen to like some of the gameplay elements of Western RPGs, but I just tend to stick with JRPGs. After all, it's Dragon Quest that first got me hooked on the genre ages ago.

Comment

Never could get into JRPG's.
                            BG1,2, Temple of elemental evil, Icewindale... My love for RPG's grew as a direct result of D&D.
                            Then we started getting games like Theif, Deus EX, Morrowind. Fallout New Vegas.
                            Today we get games like Shaddowrun (1st expansion Hong Kong), Pathfinder Kingmaker(such a flawed gem), Skyrim (Mod mayhem, Tyranny (Different twist. Like the story more then the game), and Divinity OS2 (Love the interaction of mechanics.)
                            Tomorrow we get Cyberpunk and Outer Worlds.

I say West is Best! *and this opinion is ignorant at best, because I would be lucky to name 2 JRPG's :P

Comment

The main reason I prefer western rpg's over western rpg's is because of how grindy many jrpg's are. I'm one of those gamers that can tolerate only a modest amount of grind before I get irritated. Though to be honest only certain kinds such as Obsidian style rpg's.
                              Last edited by Fuzzybeard3; 03-17-2019, 07:43 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X