Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think Epic Store will lead to an increase in games piracy?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you think Epic Store will lead to an increase in games piracy?

As posed in the title: Do you think that the behavior of Epic with the Epic Store and their exclusives is going to increase piracy rates for games? More specifically the exclusive ones?

Come on now, don't be silly. Even if everyone thought the Epic store was better then steam, it would still lead to a increase in piracy. Hell most people aren't even bringing up legit reasons to hate on Epic's story, they just don't want to need to use another launcher.

Comment

• Jargoyle
      Jargoyle commented
      Editing a comment
      That is certainly your opinion.

I will be certainly pirating Phoenix Point, so the answer is yes, even if only marginally.

Originally posted by Zoltor View Post
    Hell most people aren't even bringing up legit reasons to hate on Epic's story, they just don't want to need to use another launcher.
    Literally everyone has brought the many legit concerns they had with Epic, and "another launch" is never among them. From the lack of features to the dangers of exclusivity, from regional pricing to rumors of spyware, there are plenty of reasons to despise that company.

Comment

• Garrett
      Garrett commented
      Editing a comment
      Another launcher is literally the most common complaint. Nobody likes extra launchers.

• Necromancerx69
      Necromancerx69 commented
      Editing a comment
      There is one game on the Epic store I will purchase on Steam once it comes out one year later.
      And that is Rebel Galaxy Outlaw, I loved the first Rebel Galaxy. Besides that, I don't care of the rest of Epic store products.

The concept of piracy of games it's nothing more than a Meme in 2019.

Why would you pirate a game if you can get a gazillion of games cheap on Steam during sales.
    By the time you are done with half your library, the games that ended on Epic will be on discount on Steam.
    Also steam is cheaper than piracy in the long run (most pirate products are full of viruses or malware).

And this comes from a fool kid that used to pirate games (I didn't had money back in the day, but now that I have a stable job I purchased most of the games I loved to keep either on solid disc or on Steam).
    Piracy never again.
    ( ´・ω・`)_且~ Would you care to join me for a cup of tea?
    Sips Tea Majeeeeestically!

Comment

• JackofTears
      JackofTears commented
      Editing a comment
      I tend to agree that Steam has made piracy a less viable option for most people. I think most gamers went through a phase where they pirated games because almost no one offers demos anymore (though that's starting to change again) and games are expensive so you can't afford to buy something you won't play. With Steam sales and 2 hour return window, however, most of these reasons have been defeated. I still have a good 40 games in my Steam library which I haven't even touched yet.

Originally posted by Zoltor View Post
    Come on now, don't be silly. Even if everyone thought the Epic store was better then steam, it would still lead to a increase in piracy. Hell most people aren't even bringing up legit reasons to hate on Epic's story, they just don't want to need to use another launcher.
    I got to agree with Thomas_JCG there are plenty of valid reasons to dislike the Epic Launcher. Their lack of user reviews, no forums and practice of dumping money onto to devs for exclusives is seen by many as really anti consumer Thequartering talked about how a crowd funded project is going exclusive to Epic and betraying the fans who allowed their game to exist just for a cut of the Fortnite money
    I'm crawling deeper and deeper into backlog hell. Also I stream on twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/half_dead_pixel/

Comment

• Balta666
      Balta666 commented
      Editing a comment
      The is nothing of anti consumer in exclusivity is not behind a paywall. Regarding the crowd funded game don't blame epic but the dev itself...

• JackofTears
      JackofTears commented
      Editing a comment
      That's a ridiculous statement, "don't blame Epic"? Why, because they played the wealthy seducer in this encounter? Only blame the poor game company whose minds were beguiled by an offer of more money than they could have dreamed? Yes, they are both at fault, but it's downright disingenuous to pretend Epic doesn't bear half the blame.

Also, not offering User Reviews or Forums, for the explicit stated purpose of protecting games from user feedback, is anti-consumer. Bribing a developer to break their word to customers so they can have another exclusive is anti-consumer. I will not use Epic, even once they implement the missing features because they have proven to me where their interests lie and it is not with the person buying games from their service.

I don't think there will be an increase, the people who buy games always will and those who pirate always will.

I'm not going to start pirating games just because it's on a launcher I dislike, chances are I'll just use the launcher or not get the game or get it on console.

Comment

• Noobc0re
      Noobc0re commented
      Editing a comment
      For a lot, I'd wager most, critics of the Epic Store it's more than just not liking the launcher. The entire store and the way they do business is rotten and people do not want to give them, or any of their exclusives, any money.

I think a lot of people are in a grey zone with pirating. Where if they're provided a good enough platform to buy from they will use that. And if it's not acceptable, then...

The days of piracy are over for me. I've got a comfortable income and don't really feel like scavanging the internet for working copies while dodging the trojans.
    I don't blame people for doing it as I've been doing it for many many years, but saying that you'd rather pirate than buy on Epic because they made exclusivity deals is just silly.

If Epic didn't do the exclusive deals, their store front would simply fail against Steam. I prefer to buy on Steam instead of Epic, because it;s my main games library.
    Epic knows this OCD of many gamers and realized that if they want to have any chance against Steam they need to prevent the games from appearing on Steam (for a limited time).
    I wonder if the haters can suggest other ways Epic can draw customers to their store front. 'Just make it better than steam!' Well Steam has been around for many many years and has improved and expanded over decades to the monster it is today. Epic is a rookie and will get bigger, but only if it has stong customer base. I think this is why they are giving away a free game every 2 weeks. They have lots of Fortnight money and are spending big on free games and 'buying' developers just so they can build this customer base.

I can understand people are upset, but I can also understand Epic is up against Steam and is trying to survive in a time where people go absolutely apeshit over pretty much everything.
    Last edited by Borghir; 03-15-2019, 12:19 AM. Reason: grammar

Comment

• Borghir
      Borghir commented
      Editing a comment
      Then never use Epic. I'm pretty sure there is nothing they can do to change your mind. Enjoy Steam!

• Noobc0re
      Noobc0re commented
      Editing a comment
      That's not what we're discussing here though. I'm already not using the Epic Store. I'm trying to ask if you think piracy rates will rise as a direct result of the Epic Store's behavior.

• Borghir
      Borghir commented
      Editing a comment
      Err. didn't I already give my opinion on that?

"I don't blame people for doing it as I've been doing it for many many years, but saying that you'd rather pirate than buy on Epic because they made exclusivity deals is just silly."

Just so you people know: The Division 2 got more sales from Uplay than Epic, so it is obvious that people don't want to buy from there, if a game is exclusive, it is extremely likely that people who don't want to wait but also don't want to support Epic will pirate the game. If those people buy it later when it comes to Steam or GoG, that's another matter.

Comment

• Hyperweasle
      Hyperweasle commented
      Editing a comment
      That says alot about the Epic Store, because even Uplay is generally disliked in the gaming community as an inferior launcher.

Originally posted by Thomas_JCG View Post
    I will be certainly pirating Phoenix Point, so the answer is yes, even if only marginally.

Literally everyone has brought the many legit concerns they had with Epic, and "another launch" is never among them. From the lack of features to the dangers of exclusivity, from regional pricing to rumors of spyware, there are plenty of reasons to despise that company.
    You're kidding me right, 99% of the people complaining about Epic's launcher, trying to pass its self off as a storefront, literally are only bitching about needing another launch. Really, hearing all those people complain about that, make actual real gripe's about Epic's walled garden seen like nothing more then a after thought.

Comment

• JackofTears
      JackofTears commented
      Editing a comment
      That's a nice narrative you've built for yourself at any rate.

Originally posted by Jokerthefoolio View Post

I got to agree with Thomas_JCG there are plenty of valid reasons to dislike the Epic Launcher. Their lack of user reviews, no forums and practice of dumping money onto to devs for exclusives is seen by many as really anti consumer Thequartering talked about how a crowd funded project is going exclusive to Epic and betraying the fans who allowed their game to exist just for a cut of the Fortnite money
    You misread my post. Yea there's plenty of legit things to not like about Epic's thing, but very few people are complaining about such compared to the complaints of just needing another launcher, so even if there were no legit issues, people would still be complaining about it.

Comment

• Jokerthefoolio
      Jokerthefoolio commented
      Editing a comment
      Ok fair point. I have the Epic launcher myself and I don't mind having multiple launchers myself. I still think these Exclusivity deals are awful. For games that the company made themselves it's fine. But to poach games weeks before launch or crowdfunded projects is such a bad move

• Zoltor
      Zoltor commented
      Editing a comment
      Yea, I don't have a problem with Epic seeking exclusivity deals, but the poaching they are doing is so wrong, there's no way this can be legal. it's wrong on so many levels, and I'm shocked steam hasn't sued Epic yet. As for the latest KS game, the backers should definitely file a class action lawsuit against the developer of a game.

This Isn't a case of a KS failing, which KS is a risk, this is a case of the developer taking a bribe to put the game only on another platform, ditching the previous obligations they had, while not compensating them in any way.

I don't think they're going to pirate the game more than usual, but those exclusive games are going to lose sales, because there are so many alternatives on the market that you can choose another game with the same quality. By the time Metro Exodus goes on sale on other platforms, it will have to compete with games like Cyberpunk 2077 or Doom.
    Games 2019: The Last Night - Biomutant - Doom Eternal - Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - Mount & Blade II - Dead or Alive 6 - Tunic - Pathologic 2 - Eastshade - Scorn - A Plague Tale: Innocence - Descent (2019) - Wasteland 3 - Ancestors: The Humankinf Odyssey - Moduwar - Dawn of Man - Code Vein - Little Devil Inside - Team Sonic Racing - DESPERADOS 3 - Kirby Extra Epic Yarn - Void Bastards - Fimbul - The Forgotten City - The Last Campfire

Comment

If they can actually find a game I care about, I would considr privateering. So yes, I do.

Comment

There's definitely going to be an increase, but I don't expect it to be significant. All you have to do to discourage piracy these days is add online content and pretend it's the main appeal of the game. What it will definitely do is lower the sales of such games, whether they are being pirated or not. Devs these days seem to have this completely delusional idea that everyone who is not purchasing their game is pirating it.

Comment

Well considering that most games don't have demos, it's tough to determine if you like a game or not. Steam does have a pretty lenient return policy and understand Epic followed it, however I have had nothing but good customer support when it comes to Steam, therefore I do have some level of trust. If I do pirate a game, I usually do it to see if I like it or not before I buy it. Usually if I enjoy the game I buy it at some point in the future.
          If you like me, that's great! If you hate me, that's cool, just don't hide it.

Comment

I feel like piracy has always been apart of the spectrum... whether or not Epic's shady ass practices have increased it IDK... I know people will most likely pirate some of the games they lock down just out of spite but I don't think it will become an increased trend, I guess that's what i'm saying.

Comment

Working...
            X