Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Daily Poll Twenty-One: Do you play Sports games?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Daily Poll Twenty-One: Do you play Sports games?

    Last Daily Poll was on if you were going to pick up The Division 2 on its launch day, check it out here: https://www.exclusivelygames.com/for...the-division-2

    The Saturday Daily Poll is on Sports games. I haven't seen them talked about all that much on this forum and with EA and 2K ruining the intergrity of the latest releases for the almighty Mircrotransaction money. I got to ask do you play sports games or not? When I say Sports games I mean games like Madden, FIFA, 2K, and MLB the Show.

    For me the last sports games I played were some baseball games on the 360 over a decade ago.
    40
    I still play sports games frequently
    7.50%
    3
    I never played any sports game
    32.50%
    13
    I used to play sports games but don't anymore
    27.50%
    11
    I play sports game rarely
    32.50%
    13
    I'm crawling deeper and deeper into backlog hell. Also I stream on twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/half_dead_pixel/

  • #2
    When I want to play sports, I go outside.
    My Profile > Edit Settings > Account Tab > Scroll down to "Conversational Detail Options" > Click the Link > Eat a cookie

    Please support my friend: https://www.patreon.com/mutantdonkey

    Comment


    • #3
      Is mario tennis on the gameboy a sports game...or an RPG? Also does tony hawk pro skater count as sports games? If so, I played the crap out of them. Sadly we will never get games like that series ever again. I am certain of it, but I would be more than happy to be wrong. skateboarding was such an 80s to early 2000s thing of immense popularity and then utterly lost all interest. I mean hell, I recall my local mall having 2 skate shops.

      Comment


      • #4
        I've played DiRT many times over the years, but I understand what you mean,I would play more sports games if they weren't designed for fans of those sports.
        Games 2019: The Last Night - Biomutant - Doom Eternal - Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - Mount & Blade II - Dead or Alive 6 - Tunic - Pathologic 2 - Eastshade - Scorn - A Plague Tale: Innocence - Descent (2019) - Wasteland 3 - Ancestors: The Humankinf Odyssey - Moduwar - Dawn of Man - Code Vein - Little Devil Inside - Team Sonic Racing - DESPERADOS 3 - Kirby Extra Epic Yarn - Void Bastards - Fimbul - The Forgotten City - The Last Campfire

        Comment


        • #5
          I don't play them anymore. I used to love the more goofy ones like NFL Blitz and SSX as well as Tony Hawk, but I have no interest in them now. Kinda like real sports.
          Check out my YouTube channel with silly Smash Bros. content: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCss...o9fW5snApff8YQ

          Comment


          • DarkTranquillity
            DarkTranquillity commented
            Editing a comment
            NFL Blitz and NHL Hitz were amazing

        • #6
          Back in the old days when sports games were actually good, I used to play them, but as the industry evolved, and not only didn't sports games follow suit, but got worse, I stopped.

          It's so pathetic that the best base ball games ever made were on the NES, and SNES for example. Hell the last time any sports actual sports game was good, was what, NFL 2k on the DC.

          People praise the newer NBA 2k games all the time these days(guess they're better then the other crappy sports games these days, but still), yet what should be the best part of the game, and what adds to most of the replay value, is so badly riddled with microtransactions, said mode is completely unplayable.

          In any case, no matter how you look at it, sports games aren't worth playing these days.

          Comment


          • #7
            I use to play a hell lot of FIFA and NBA live in the 90s and a lot of couch multiplayer PES during Uni but nowadays I couldn't care less about those series that launch the same game every year just to milk their costumers

            Comment


            • #8
              Originally posted by Zoltor View Post
              Back in the old days when sports games were actually good, I used to play them, but as the industry evolved, and not only didn't sports games follow suit, but got worse, I stopped.

              It's so pathetic that the best base ball games ever made were on the NES, and SNES for example. Hell the last time any sports actual sports game was good, was what, NFL 2k on the DC.

              People praise the newer NBA 2k games all the time these days(guess they're better then the other crappy sports games these days, but still), yet what should be the best part of the game, and what adds to most of the replay value, is so badly riddled with microtransactions, said mode is completely unplayable.

              In any case, no matter how you look at it, sports games aren't worth playing these days.
              Good assessment, I mostly agree.

              I still enjoy playing older sports game though.

              Such a shame everything has to be ruined by microtransactions, and from what I hear FIFA 19 revolves around opening virtual packs of players, not actually playing the game (which sucks apparently). The last FIFA i played was 10 years ago..

              Sports games suffer the same way as other games in that there is now so much focus on "realistic" graphics and putting in all these complex mechanics that the idea of just making a simple fun sports game has been lost.

              Like MLB The Show - a shit awful series of games that I struggle to get a single hit with. It would easier to go outside and learn to play real baseball. Nintendos cartoony Wii Sports has the best baseball game imo, so why can't licensed games get it right? Plus its really satisfying to bat with your Wiimote ...

              Comment


              • #9
                Originally posted by Mike View Post

                Good assessment, I mostly agree.

                I still enjoy playing older sports game though.

                Such a shame everything has to be ruined by microtransactions, and from what I hear FIFA 19 revolves around opening virtual packs of players, not actually playing the game (which sucks apparently). The last FIFA i played was 10 years ago..

                Sports games suffer the same way as other games in that there is now so much focus on "realistic" graphics and putting in all these complex mechanics that the idea of just making a simple fun sports game has been lost.

                Like MLB The Show - a shit awful series of games that I struggle to get a single hit with. It would easier to go outside and learn to play real baseball. Nintendos cartoony Wii Sports has the best baseball game imo, so why can't licensed games get it right? Plus its really satisfying to bat with your Wiimote ...
                Yea I agree with that, if I had a analogue NT or something, I could so still play things like Basesloaded 2, Baseball All Stars, and whatnot.

                Well the realism issue clearly Isn't one of Fifa's problems, damn thing looks like a PS2 launch title lol. EA is literally reprinting the same exact game, and slapping new stuff on it. It's amazing people put up with the Fifa nonsense, but but the UK are crazy over the Fifa games.

                Lmao yea that too, youtubers are basically pining over MLB the show, as if they're the greatest games ever made.

                Comment


                • #10
                  Never and never will.

                  Comment


                  • #11
                    I would, if they weren't made by EA.

                    Comment


                    • #12
                      Originally posted by Zoltor View Post

                      Well the realism issue clearly Isn't one of Fifa's problems, damn thing looks like a PS2 launch title lol. EA is literally reprinting the same exact game, and slapping new stuff on it. It's amazing people put up with the Fifa nonsense, but but the UK are crazy over the Fifa games.
                      The focus on "realism" with FIFA is the ridiculous career mode and the obsession with signing/selling players. Much like what the real sport is now focused on - ie. the absolute circus that surrounds it. Which itself is all built around gambling, so loot boxes in the game are quite appropriate. PS2 era was probably the last time FIFA was actually fun TO PLAY....

                      Comment


                      • #13
                        Originally posted by Mike View Post

                        The focus on "realism" with FIFA is the ridiculous career mode and the obsession with signing/selling players. Much like what the real sport is now focused on - ie. the absolute circus that surrounds it. Which itself is all built around gambling, so loot boxes in the game are quite appropriate. PS2 era was probably the last time FIFA was actually fun TO PLAY....
                        Oh you meant in that way, yea that's a big thing holding down the game, but how else is EA suppose to warrant microtransactions.

                        Comment


                        • #14
                          I'm counting Rocket League as a sports game in my vote.

                          Comment


                          • #15
                            I played sports games many years ago. Upwards of 20 years. Unless you count racing games as sports games.

                            Click here for all my game reviews. or Click here for my PC hardware history from 1991

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X