Favorite 90s FPS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite 90s FPS

As a kid who grew up in the 90s playing a TON of FPS games on the PC with game play styles ranging from Quake to Rainbow Six Rogue Spear. I sure spent a lot of time with the M+KB. After reflecting on what I consider my favorite FPS game from back then, I personally think my favorite now from that era is actually Doom 2. Even though I didn't play Doom 2 back in the day, only Original Doom, and played Quake 2 to death (which was definitely my favorite at that time)...I think Doom 2 may now be my favorite shooter from the 90s. What is everyone else's personal favorite FPS from the that time period?

Probably Doom and Unreal Tournament, those are really the only FPS games I've played from that era
    Expected some witty saying!? Yeah...well...I got nothing.

Comment

Quake 2
      Unreal Tournament

Comment

Half Life, no doubt about it. Both single and multi-player.
        Click here for all my game reviews. | Click here for my PC hardware history from 1991
        Games purchased on EGS: 0 | Free games redeemed on EGS: 0

Comment

Originally posted by MadMummy76 View Post
          Half Life, no doubt about it. Both single and multi-player.
          Ditto. I really enjoy Half Life in every way. The level design, the dialogues, the theme, the weapons. Even the speedruns of this game are amazing.

Comment

Half-Life, though I only played it for the first time in 2003...
            "I game, therefore I am." - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

I don't want to repeat everything you've already mentioned, so I'll tell you one that was underestimated, but is innovative in many ways, Strife. It's not a pure FPS, it's more like a FPS-RPG, set in a post-apocalyptic world of medieval science fiction.

Games 2019: The Last Night - Biomutant - Doom Eternal - Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - Mount & Blade II - Dead or Alive 6 - Tunic - Pathologic 2 - Eastshade - Scorn - A Plague Tale: Innocence - Descent (2019) - Wasteland 3 - Ancestors: The Humankinf Odyssey - Moduwar - Dawn of Man - Code Vein - Little Devil Inside - Team Sonic Racing - Street of Rage 4 - DESPERADOS 3 - Kirby Extra Epic Yarn - Void Bastards - Fimbul - The Forgotten City - The Last Campfire - Outward - Devil May Cry 5

Comment

• mmetalfan
                mmetalfan commented
                Editing a comment
                I heard that was a good one. I really need to give this a shot. Didn't even know about it until ADG on youtube made a video on it.

• Baron Baldric
                Baron Baldric commented
                Editing a comment
                You can get the Veteran Edition is a high quality port, it costs $5 at gog.com.

• mmetalfan
                mmetalfan commented
                Editing a comment
                Added it to my wish list. Will wait until the next gog sale!

I think the first FPS i played was the original Shadow Warrior, the series is in my top 5 to replay every now and then.

Comment

• mmetalfan
                mmetalfan commented
                Editing a comment
                I played that for the first time when it initially came out on GOG. I made the choice last night to finally go through it from start to end. Finished the first episode yesterday.

Wolfenstein 3D. I didn't get to play it until 2006, but it's a great game. I also loved the original Rainbow Six on the Dreamcast, but I wouldn't exactly consider that a pure FPS.
              There's no way to delete my account, so I'll just put this here:

I'm done with this site, and will no longer be a member here. Goodbye.

Comment

Probably Descent. I guess it's a little different, but it still follows that old 90s FPS formula.

Comment

• mmetalfan
                  mmetalfan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Descent 2 is easily in my top 3 from that era. Which do you prefer? 1 or 2? Or possibly 3?

I never played many back in the 90's cause I never had a computer back then. If I did play Doom, Wolf 3D or Duke 3D I played them on a friends computer. I also played some of Heretic. Those are the only FPS games I ever played on the PC. I didn't know about Shadow Warrior or Blood. I didn't play Doom II till I got a windows version of the games on a CD. I got my first computer back in 2000. Even then it was pretty old and I couldn't play many games on it. Games like Doom and Duke 3D ran ok. Diablo worked fine. But running games like Quake and Half Life 2 were out of the question. I think it had a 4MB video card. Probably 4MB of RAM. A Pentium 166. With a 500MB HDD.

I didn't even play Half Life till I played it on the PS2. Doom 3? Xbox. Half Life 2? Xbox.

Comment

• mmetalfan
                  mmetalfan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I had a lot of good times with Diablo. Took me years to beat it though haha

The three I played the most were Duke Nukem 3d (I finished this game more times than I am willing to say), quake 2 and unreal tournament. I also played much fair share of Delta force. It is funny that nowadays I couldn't care less about the genre

Comment

GTA obviously.
                  Celebrating over 1000 contributions of the highest quality! ♪

Comment

I didn't play shooters on my Pc during the 90s, during that time I spend it more playing RTS games like C&C, Age of Empires, etc.

On Console, I only played Golden Eye PvP once at a friends party and House of the Dead for the Sega Dreamcast.

But, I did play a lot of Roller Coaster Arcade FPS games during the 90s.

These are the ones I loved the most and would waste a lot of money to play them:

)> The Ocean Hunter
                    [ This one, THIS ONE I loved the most and would kill anyone for a sequel or a remake of this game. ]

)> Silent Scope

)> House of the Dead 1 & 2

)> Area 51

)> Lost World Jurassic Park

)> CarnEvil

)> Alien 3: the gun
                    ( ´・ω・`)_且~ Would you care to join me for a cup of tea?
                    Sips Tea Majeeeeestically!

Comment

I probably played Doom the most but I liked Quake more. Fucking mind blowing the first time I played Quake because it was the first truly 3D FPS I'd played. I did play Decent before Quake, and it was good and also truly 3D, but the gameplay wasn't as exciting as Quake. Before Quake, and besides Doom, Rise of the Triad, Heretic and Hexen are memorable.

Comment

• mmetalfan
                        mmetalfan commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Have you tried AMID EVIL on steam? Although not entirely the same, feels like a spiritual successor to Hexen. Has some interesting magical weapons and certainly a lot of enemies. My only complaint is no bunny hopping so your movement speed is tied to your run speed.

• aileron
                        aileron commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I have not. Thanks for the tip!
                    Working...
                    X