• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unreal Tournament and Tribes.

Comment

• mmetalfan
      mmetalfan commented
      Editing a comment
      Did you try Tribes Ascend back when there was support for the game? I enjoyed it and was so sad when they dropped support.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SiN

I loved all the other ones, I just wanted to go with something more overlooked.

Comment

• mmetalfan
      mmetalfan commented
      Editing a comment
      I really liked that game, but when I got to the level where I had to sneak into a lab and get some device (can't remember what) I ended up giving up

• Vosgy
      Vosgy commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes that level was hard, considering I bought the game in 98 when I was 9 (Back when game stores in Australia let 9 YO's buy 15+ restricted games) I had to cheat to get past that bit, I did go back to the game in the 2000's and complete it properly.

• mmetalfan
      mmetalfan commented
      Editing a comment
      I will say, Sin NEEDS another entry into the series. Can't end with Episode 1...

I think Half-Life is the only FPS game from the 90's that I have played, and I have only played it for a couple hours. It was pretty good though.
    The Mordhau Adventuring League WANTS YOU!
    https://discord.gg/ZHDpkG2

My Profile > Edit Settings > Account Tab > Scroll down to "Conversational Detail Options" > Click the Link > Eat a cookie

Comment

Originally posted by Vosgy View Post
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SiN

I loved all the other ones, I just wanted to go with something more overlooked.
      Yeah, Sin was a very good and technologically advanced game for it's time, unfortunately I only ever played the demo version.
      Click here for all my game reviews. or Click here for my PC hardware history from 1991

Comment

• Vosgy
        Vosgy commented
        Editing a comment
        I still have the CD for the Base game and the Expansion, it was worth my 9 Y/O pocket money :P

Half-Life is definitely the pinnacle of 90's FPS design. I really can't think of any flaws it has other than Valve Jumping. (instead of any kind of mantling mechanic the player must manually crouch mid-air in order to land feet first on top of obstacles that are too high to jump on normally. A mechanic that only makes sense if you do not think about it at all.)

I consider anyone claiming their favorite to be Wolfenstein 3d to be suspect because a game with only universal ammo hitscan weapons, 2d maze levels consisting entirely of squares and secrets built around humping every wall in the level on an engine that can't even do ceiling or floor textures or display an ingame map is so much objectively worse than everything that came out that decade, that it must be a terminal case of nostalgia goggles and the animal must sadly be put down.

Comment

• aileron
        aileron commented
        Editing a comment
        I didn't mention Wolfenstein, but I did probably play Wolf3d more than Quake but less than Doom. Wolf3d was the first FPS* so try to imagine playing an FPS for the first time when nothing like that has ever existed before and you've never experienced anything like it before

*Yes I realize it is technically not "the first FPS" but it was the first that was widely popular.

• mmetalfan
        mmetalfan commented
        Editing a comment
        For me at least, HL1 was a great shooter that I still enjoy every few years when I play it again (still waiting for black mesa to finish) and I even enjoy it more than HL2. I will play HL1 over HL2 almost all the time. HL2 is just to story focused for me... However because of HL1 much more linear nature and focus on scripting events I tend find its re-playability much more limited than some of the other fps games at that time. Don't get me wrong, I still think it is a great game and certainly a pinnacle point in FPS design, just IMO not as fun as some of the other shooters out there that came before it. Of course, this is all just subjective based on what the gamer prioritizes in terms of the gameplay mechanics.

Counter Strike 1.5

Comment

• Alexrd
        Alexrd commented
        Editing a comment
        Counter Strike was released in 2000.
        Counter Strike 1.5 was released in 2002.
        Counter Strike 1.6 was released in 2003.

• Temuldjin
        Temuldjin commented
        Editing a comment
        If that is true then i am wrong

• Baron Baldric
        Baron Baldric commented
        Editing a comment
        It's a common misconception, only the original HalfLife Mod is from 1999, pd. you make me feel old.

Definitely GoldenEye on the N64, we played that game to death, literally.
      Hail Kizuna Ai

Comment

• aileron
        aileron commented
        Editing a comment
        Death of the cartridge, not you, I assume

• Musou Tensei
        Musou Tensei commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah we played it so much that it eventually didn't work anymore, dunno why that happened but it was a sad day.

I was a bit late to the FPS genre, I didn’t hit my teens until the late 90s(overprotective parents meant I couldn’t even watch my friends brother play Doom). Anyway, Metal of Honor was the first FPS that I played. Even though it is barely in the 90s it will always be something special to me.

Then after playing Metal of Honor and getting a feel for the FPS genre I played GoldenEye and then Doom. I hated Doom back then mostly because I was horrible at keyboard and mouse control. I only recently got into mouse and keyboard controls, and I’m loving going back to Doom every so often. Even though I still prefer consoles right now, I am slowly getting into PC gaming. I am really looking forward to trying Quake for the first time.

Comment

• mmetalfan
        mmetalfan commented
        Editing a comment
        I played a lot of goldeneye back in the day. I had protective parents too, so that was always a challenge, and one of the main reasons I was mostly PC gaming...(TV was in living room where parents could watch, PC in office where there was little to no supervision). Keep at it, and you will get the hang of FPS controls with M+KB. Once you finish Quake(Which I highly recommend), I recommend downloading the Arcane Dimensions Mod. You can find it here: http://www.simonoc.com/pages/design/sp/ad.htm Amazing what they did with such an old game.

my favorite from the 90's

Comment

Unreal Tournament.

Comment

Doom. While later games were objectively better (excluding the music), nothing captures the feeling that was playing Doom for the very first time.

Comment

Definitely unreal tournament, no contest, though Return to castle wolfenstein would have come close if it was 2 years older.

Comment

Aliens Vs. Predator 2. Campaigns were really good and the multiplayer was pretty badass. Nothing quite like molting into an alien queen and chasing someone down a tunnel to a dead end and watching them lose the will to fight back just before you rip them to pieces. Good times.

Comment

Ghost In the Shell... hella circle strafing + wall and ceiling walking. Still hasn't been done again.

The PS1 versions of Doom, with the spooky, ambient soundtrack. Used to freak me out. Never played the PC original back then, so I don't have any nostalgia for the original soundtrack.

Missed out on Quake 1 & 2, started with Quake 3 when we got a PC.

Comment

I went to a friends place on friday afternoon to play some SNES. Usually we played EA NHL '94. However, he had this new game.... "Doom". I didn't know much about it and i figured I'd be back home Friday evening..
                  I didn't return home until late Sunday evening.

Comment

Working...
                  X