The Grand Prix, The greatest Steam Summer Sale Fiasco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Grand Prix, The greatest Steam Summer Sale Fiasco

Here we can talk and comment on the problems that Steam it self created with that over complicated Steam Event during his summer sale.

I will comment my opinion a bit later cause I have to go out, but first I wanted to leave this post ready for anyone that wish to talk about it.

I am Team Corgi btw, so GO TEAM CORGI !
    ( ´・ω・`)_且~ Would you care to join me for a cup of tea?
    Sips Tea Majeeeeestically!

What does this get you in terms of something actually worth money? To be honest I didn't understand the meta game. I bought about $70 of games, maybe 2 dozen or so. A couple of times it (Steam client) allowed me to boost team corgi. Once it allowed me to do something else but what it did I don't even know. There seemed to be no purpose, other than badges, etc, which is totally fine if you're into that.

P.S. I picked team corgi because of the Queen's dogs of course

Comment

• Necromancerx69
      Necromancerx69 commented
      Editing a comment
      The problem was with people getting another discount on top of the summer sale discount if you didn't wanted to spend your point in leveling your badge.
      A lot of points = A lot of discount coupons.

The Sale was a disaster thanks to the points.

I think Steam has a ton of useless and irrelevant features that distract Valve from the primary objective of their platform. Account levels, Achievements, Badges, the trading cards, Big Picture; cut all that and keep cutting. And cut the lame team stuff too and just give us cheaper games. I don't even personally know anyone who uses those features, just rumor that there are; however everyone I know on steam is only there for cheap games contained in a single launcher.
    Last edited by Trout; 07-06-2019, 12:45 AM.
    Steam ID: Saul15 Discord: Trout#3435
    I love strategy games and coop shooters, lets play sometime.

Comment

• Necromancerx69
      Necromancerx69 commented
      Editing a comment
      "I don't even personally know anyone who uses those features"

* Slowly raises hand *

• Trout
      Trout commented
      Editing a comment
      I dont personally know you.

Meh, there isn't much besides that to talk about, there was no actual damage done to anyone. It was just a dumb game that people can exploit.
    Stop spammers from entering - Build a wall

Comment

• Thomas_JCG
      Thomas_JCG commented
      Editing a comment
      Necromancerx69 - I did not know it, but it doesn't change my point. That exploit only makes it easy to reach the maximum limit, you will still need to spend a lot more than five bucks before you could farm discounts.

• Necromancerx69
      Necromancerx69 commented
      Editing a comment
      @Thomas_JCG
      Yeah, again, BUT... Have you heard about the CSGO keys?

Not even counting other exploits both known and unknown. :V

• Thomas_JCG
      Thomas_JCG commented
      Editing a comment
      Necromancerx69 - Nope, and that still didn't changed the point that you had to spend money, even though he recouped most of it.

Hello. I am back.
    I just think that Steam needs to hire people that know what they are doing, cause whoever came up with that idea of the Grand Prix didn't think of it on a large scale (all the people that will use it).
    Even worse with the exploits allowing people to get even more discounts on top of the already discount of the summer sale.

I just think they should have stick to the Saliens formula, that was a simple / fun event.
    Also is it just me or the art style for this summer sale is ugly as hell? I don't know who came out with that idea, but please just never hear his / her (whoever was the artist) suggestions ever again.

For the people that don't remember Saliens here is a quick video:

Again, Steam messed it up big time, hope by the holiday sale they can come up with something to fix their mistake with the Grand Prix.
    Unless Steam decides to never do another special event ever again after the problems this sale caused.
    ( ´・ω・`)_且~ Would you care to join me for a cup of tea?
    Sips Tea Majeeeeestically!

Comment

Ok thanks for the replies and explanations Necromancerx69. Could someone give me an example of how much of a discount they got (in terms of $) by playing the screwed up game?

Comment

Originally posted by aileron View Post
        Could someone give me an example of how much of a discount they got (in terms of $) by playing the screwed up game?
        You can only get $5 of discount. You gain tokens by playing the game, and can redeem them for prizes like the discount. It takes a while to get it, though.
        Last edited by Thomas_JCG; 07-06-2019, 11:50 AM. Reason: Fixed the price of discount, I forgot about currency differences.

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas_JCG View Post

You can only get $5 of discount. You gain tokens by playing the game, and can redeem them for prizes like the discount. It takes a while to get it, though.
          Thanks for the explanation and big whoop if some people got $5 when they shouldn't have.

Comment

Plus, they put a cap on points earned by playing games. I keep running into this cap and it never seems to reset.

Comment

Originally posted by Bolo View Post
              Plus, they put a cap on points earned by playing games. I keep running into this cap and it never seems to reset.
              That's not quite right... What is capped is the limit of points you can redeem per day, you can earn as many points as you want. For example, I earned 10000 points playing Stardew Valley, but because my limit is capped at 3500, I can only redeem that many points today. Tomorrow I don't even need to play any game because points accumulate.
              Like I said, to raise the limit, you gotta spend, so neither Valve nor the devs are hurting because of it.

Comment

• Bolo
                Bolo commented
                Editing a comment
                First I have bought games during the summer event, and I do not get 3,500 per day. I play TF2, 2 point Hospital, and Stardew Valley as well. I am not able to redeem points the next day period! I did not play for a full day and still could not redeem points! The dam thing is broken and barely works properly. There support page is a joke.
            Working...
            X