Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Daily Poll 136: Have Steam Sales declined in quality?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daily Poll 136: Have Steam Sales declined in quality?

Last Daily Poll was on Western devs catering to china. Check it out here: https://www.exclusivelygames.com/for...ering-to-china

Necromancerx69 mentioned in his suggestion post that a poll should be done on your opinion of steam events going forward it's a good idea and I encourage you to do that poll since mine is a little different. I've done polls that relate to steam and steam sales. I've seen a lot of criticism that steam sales have declined in quality. I agree with that sentiment but as always it's just my opinion and I could totally be wrong. What do you guys think?

Check out the latest episode of Poll Review: https://youtu.be/zn_TmhfEmwM

Check out the daily poll archive: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...eZa5loUQvE-SI/
    Steam sales have declined in quality
    52.94%
    Steam sales have had the same amount of quality
    17.65%
    Steam sales have increased in quality
    0%
    I don't participate in steam sales
    29.41%
    I'm crawling deeper and deeper into backlog hell. Also I stream on dlive: https://dlive.tv/jokerthefoolio

I stopped paying for games that I don't own.
    Check out my YouTube channel with silly Smash Bros. content: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCss...o9fW5snApff8YQ

Comment

Originally posted by Star Magician View Post
      I stopped paying for games that I don't own.
      So you are willing to pay for games you own. Weird flex, but ok.
      Violence doesn't solve anything, my block list does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myWaa6xvPZ4

Comment

• Star Magician
        Star Magician commented
        Editing a comment
        English is hard.

I think they have the same quality, it's just down to personal preference. If someone sees more sales are on games they are interested, they are going to think more highly of the sale, than someone who see very few games they are interested in. Since that can change based on each sale, then each sale will get some people think it's declined when in reality it may have not statistically. As far as the sale games go, yeah this one at least this year was boring to do.
      Violence doesn't solve anything, my block list does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myWaa6xvPZ4

Comment

I haven't browsed one in a good couple years or so since my last laptop crapped out, and I never got another one.

it occurred to me that Steam sales might be less exciting to people because we already own hundreds of games that we wanted and got dirt cheap in previous sales or through Humble Bundle. So nowadays it's just waiting on newer stuff to bottom out at $1-5 like we were used to. Maybe devaluation and race to the bottom has slowed down some.

Comment

It's not even worth comparing. Steam sales are a dud, I used to end up with 5-6 new games or DLCs during every holiday sale. Now the last few years I purchased zero games on steam both during and outside of sales.

A steam sale used to be 66-85 even 90% off titles. Now we are getting 15-25% on most titles I'd be interested in. Which doesn't even match the price of those games on 3rd party stores. It's laughable. Steam sales should be renamed to "for a week we try to compete with the prices of GMG"
          Last edited by MadMummy76; 07-09-2019, 08:52 AM.
          Click here for all my game reviews. | Click here for my PC hardware history from 1991
          Games purchased on EGS: 0 | Free games redeemed on EGS: 0

Comment

Sales aren't what they used to be.
            “Nothing is so painful to the human mind as a great and sudden change.”

Steam: old_Navy_twidget

Comment

The sales are different but the quality hasn't changed greatly. It used to be items would be 70-80 maybe 90% off. Now it is a lot less but the sales happen far more often than ever before.

Comment

Originally posted by Binmaniac View Post
                The sales are different but the quality hasn't changed greatly. It used to be items would be 70-80 maybe 90% off. . . . but the sales happen far more often than ever before.
                ? sale discounts + ?sale frequency, imo, =/= quality hasn't changed much.

“Nothing is so painful to the human mind as a great and sudden change.”

Steam: old_Navy_twidget

Comment

I would say they were more aggressive on the discounts back in the day when steam was still fairly young. So in pricing, I'd say the quality isn't what it used to be, but maybe I am not looking at the right games anymore? Also seems like the interactivity with the sale seems to be not as interesting to me especially with the one that just ended (Summer Sale 2019) but could just be me since I have been interacting with them since steam launched and started their first started their sales.

Comment

Yes, absolutely.
                    Hail Kizuna Ai

Comment

I think there was a little decline. They used to be such lively events with Flash Sales and cool minigames, nowadays you have barely reason to bother, you can just buy everything you want once, and the mini games are dull.
                      Prices and discounts are set by the publisher, so if you believe Steam is too expensive or the discounts are too low, it's not Valve's fault. Maybe earlier on they were better, but only because publishers were trying to attract users to buy digital, which offers a better deal than retail. Now, they pretty much expect people to buy stuff on Steam, regardless of the price.
                      "I game, therefore I am." - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

When were steam sales good? When I had to save a couple hundred bucks in anticipation and reinstall the steam app on my phone so I could check what sales were on at the moment while at work or away from my computer. The discounts were insane, but only open for a limited amount of time; miss it and thats it. When they shifted to all the games being on sale for the summer sales duration, the discounts stopped being as good. 90% discounts turned into 75% or 50%, and due to the size of my library, I walked away from the summer sales. I actually get most of my games from Humble now when they have a decent bundle, but I could work through my library and be entertained for years on end before I need to buy another game from Steam. And thats because the summer sales used to be good.
                        Last edited by Trout; 07-09-2019, 05:53 PM.
                        Steam ID: Saul15 Discord: Trout#3435
                        I love strategy games and coop shooters, lets play sometime.

Comment

Steam same quality is about the same. It's just I have LOTS of games and many of the games (often older games) I want, I already have.
                          I went a bit crazy tho in this sale in the last 24 hours.
                          The Total war games were so heavily discounted, I completed the collection, except the Three Kingdoms game, which is still pricey.

I got a few other games that I just couldn't resist too.. So yeah,. spent more this time than the last sale. But Wow, the discounts were awesome. That and the Grand Prix thing got me a further $15 off on the already heavily discounted games.

Comment

Valve probably looked at how much people put effort into conquering the planets in Saliens and thought that if a simple game was that popular, a complex game would be even more popular. And nobody at the company pointed out that the vast majority of participants used a browser plugin cheat hack to keep the sale game running 24/7 without doing a damn thing. Now that the users had to actually do shit, they didn't give a shit about the event.

Comment

Working...
                            X