Story. What's it to you?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Story. What's it to you?

Having read many posts on this website over the past six months, I've seen a lot of people implying that a great story makes for a great video game. On the other hand, many classic or retro games have little to no story, but addictive gameplay. So which is it to you?
    Great story makes a great game, gameplay is secondary.
    11.76%
    Story? What story? Gameplay is king.
    26.47%
    Story and gameplay are equally important.
    58.82%
    What the f are you talking about?
    2.94%

Really, I'm not into the story of a game. People can say that the story of a game is terrible, but when I play, I just don't notice it. I may even say that I liked the story. In the end, I have a bad sense of what makes a story good or bad. To me, it's all about whether or not I'm having fun.

Comment

If one is good, I can overlook the other. Example; Mass Effect 1 has the weakest gameplay of the series but a superior story to the other 2.

That being said, visual novels are lame as fuck.
      Steam ID: Saul15 Discord: Trout#3435
      I love strategy games and coop shooters, lets play sometime.

Comment

• Nic
        Nic commented
        Editing a comment
        Should visual novels be considered games?

• Trout
        Trout commented
        Editing a comment
        Read that question you typed again, and therein lies the answer.

Story is what attracts me the most in any game, but if the gameplay isn't up to snuff, then it was all for nothing as the game will feel a chore to play.
      "I game, therefore I am." - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

I like whatever a game is trying to do.

Even Pong has context and visual representation of an idea.

Comment

Gameplay is the most important by a wide margin, since that's what makes a game a game. Story is also very important, but it's secondary.

Comment

I like a good story, but it's secondary to gameplay. I play video GAMES, not video STORIES or video MOVIES

I don't appreciate it when story overtakes gameplay. Fuck you Hideo Kojima

Comment

I like a good story as much as the next person but it's a game and games need good gameplay.
              "We sleep peaceably in our beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on our behalf."

Steam: old_Navy_twidget

Comment

Depends where the game is trying to excel. I love a good story, but I’m not going to want to play it if the gameplay is awful.
                All my typos are intentional
                I also make videos https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCpvjyJGhppM0bExHo74vBsA

Comment

Story and gameplay are equally important to me. The story could be the next Slaughter House Five but if the game runs at 10 FPS then I'm not going to have fun
                  I'm crawling deeper and deeper into backlog hell. Also I stream on dlive: https://dlive.tv/jokerthefoolio

Comment

It depends on what the developers are going for. Some games are designed to be almost exclusively story-driven and not as much of a focus on gameplay while others are more focused on gameplay and don't care about story. If the "point" of the game is one of the two and the nail it, then I'm game to play it. DOOM is a good example of a story not mattering at all and the gameplay being the most important aspect of it. DOOM is 99% gameplay and 1% story and its gameplay is fantastic, so it's a good game. Likewise, Grisaia no Kajitsu has 1% gameplay and 99% story and the story is fantastic, so it's a good game. It just comes down to what it is that the game's trying to be and if it pulls it off well.

Comment

Seance I'm mostly playing rpg-s story comes first game-play second music third Dood
                      Last edited by Sick243; 07-28-2019, 09:21 AM. Reason: forgot a word

Comment

I'm honestly very surprised by these votes. I completely misjudged the view of you fellow forum users. I saw so many discussions here about story and characters, series continuity, endings, etc and very few discussions about gameplay that I thought the majority would vote for story. Thanks all for participating and for proving me wrong.

Comment

I can play a game with a good story and terrible gameplay, but I cannot play a game with a bad story or no story and excellent gameplay.

But of course it is best if both are excellent.
                          Click here for all my game reviews. | Click here for my PC hardware history from 1991
                          Games purchased on EGS: 0 | Free games redeemed on EGS: 0

Comment

For me it's gameplay> story, BUT if there is no story then the gameplay gets old, and fast. If there is good gameplay and a good story then it usually becomes a fave. There are many games that have done this. I'll leave it there ^^

Comment

Working...
                            X