No announcement yet.

Story. What's it to you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A good story can literally drive you to complete a game. I know cause that's what kept me interested in RDR2. The game itself was pretty good but the story was really good. It kept me interested till the end even though I knew how the game would end. The same for RDR1, the game is good but the story is even better. I know how RDR1 ends but I keep playing it anyway. That's the power of a good story.

But not all great games have great stories and some times the story isn't really there at all. Take games like Doom, Duke 3D, Quake and so on. They all had stories that barely existed. You were obviously playing these games for the gameplay.
    Last edited by Cuzin_Ed; 08-01-2019, 04:34 AM.

Comment

Here's the thing as far as I'm concerned: Story is not necessary to make a good game (see pretty much all arcade-era games, or for that matter, Minecraft), but if you're going to put one in your game, dammit, do it right. I prefer games with great stories to games without them, but sometimes the whole key to the older games was how much of my own story could fill in the blanks left by the game. The story in my favorite game, 1986's Starflight, is fairly crude and much of the game involved uncovering it. But the ship you fly around in, the characters you populate it with...all of that was channeled straight into the imagination of myself and the friend with whom I enjoyed playing the game.

Really, what I look for is quality in what's there, not a judgment on what aspects of cinematography or storytelling are missing. Just give me a well-crafted game (just preferably, for me, one with an excellent story).
      Xbox Live: Goldnfoxx
      PSN: Goldenfoxx
      Nintendo: SW-5996-7611-3106
      Steam: Goldenfoxx / [email protected]

Comment

I don't play games for stories, even games that supposedly have great stories pale in comparison to good novels IMO. That said Xenogears and Trails in the/of series have stories that hold up and I would gladly play them for the story alone.

Comment

Some games do well with story, others do well with game play. How about both ?
          'The Beginner's Guide' VS 'Factorio'
          Micro piglets stalk your dungeon - BEWARE !

Comment

You have products like Beat saber or Rocket League where the game is essentially all about the gameplay or the competition.

Games that are selling a story should have a story that's good enough to help carry that game. Final Fantasy games, the Witcher series all have strong naratives and believable characters to help carry the game through the end. Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age were games that were made better for those who learned about the support cast and invested time in them. I believe story and gameplay are both important, especially in games where they are trying to sell an experience.

Comment

For me they are both important as there are games I stopped playing because either the story or the gameplay was poor.

in the case if stories it goes beyond as no story helps the game more than a bad one.

But for instance on RPG it really hurts to have a bad story and reason why I prefer them to be as linear as possible to be able to tell it properly

Comment

I started with games, that had no stories, were logical/mathematical. Later strategic games, where you make the story (well, nowadays strategic games do have a story, usually due campaign mode)
                Then it were FPS, where I could not care less about the story, all I cared about was to get better weapon and keep enough ammo. I did read a lot of books, and it was mentioned here already on this thread, that any average novel has much better story than top-notch game.
                Well, up till the times, when games started to be inspired by novels (Dune, Dune II -> Frank Herbert's Dune) or RPGs inspired by fantasy / horror / sci-fi novels (meeting Drizzt Do'Urden, Ravenloft..) , but still, story developing around actual play, is very dependent on the gameplay, Very few hard-core fans would play a game just for sake of the story, ignoring bad gameplay.
                So was I, for 99%, if a game did not have good gameplay, good-bye it was.
                Just 1% -> in a game, no one would play nowadays, no matter what, the story was slowly blooming, like a lone rose in the middle of desert, that just for the story and even more the message of the story, I fell in love with the game.
                So here I am, confused, as the TOP game of all times is for me ALL about the story.
                While no other game could reach me in at least one tenth of the promised 'great story' part. Even worse, some of the game stories I do despise so much, I intentionally refuse to read / listen to dialogues, and or cut scenes.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldenfoxx View Post
                  Here's the thing as far as I'm concerned: Story is not necessary to make a good game (see pretty much all arcade-era games, or for that matter, Minecraft, but if you're going to put one in your game, dammit, do it right.
                  Yup, couldn't agree more.

Comment

Story is next to worthless in most games. RPG may be the only genre where it should be emphasized. Every other genre? Skip it. Do a one liner like back in the day. Our imagination can take over.

Comment

I kinda need a story. When I play without any purpose sometimes I feel I don't have fun. I often think about how pointless is what I am doing, but then again I play warframe(which admittedly has a story) and WoT.

Comment

For me gameplay is most important.
                        If the Gameplay is great, and the story is boring or lack luster, then to me I can still get through the game and have good time.
                        If the story is great and the gameplay is crap, well I get annoyed and not bother and never play it again.
                        If both are lackluster than it's SOL
                        If both are good than that is a bonus.

A good example of how game styles fit into my criteria is Serious Sam vs Telltale vs Legend of Heroes Trails in the Sky .
                        -Serious Sam has what most will call a lackluster and minimulistic story but enough to get you from one level to the next , but the game is fast, smooth and is almost 100% gameplay focused. So I really like the series.
                        -Telltale games are almost entirely story focused with gameplay being a second pritority (Games look super boring to me and couldn't even get through watching segments on twitch) so I see those as a no buy.
                        -Legend of Heroes had a pretty good story that I actually got into and characters and there interactions with each other I thought were interesting. I also really liked the gameplay portions of it as well with the RPG mechanics and battle system. As a result I really enjoyed the game.

Comment

Back when game development didn't have the tech to do both unless the game looked like crap, gameplay was more important because that's how the game was sold. Now that's only the case in games that don't focus on stories, like CoD and all the BR titles out there. However, universal controls make it really hard to make good and interesting gameplay for a lot of games in the same genre. For the rest of the gaming world, story is usually more important, because it becomes the selling point. For me personally, I prefer a good story over anything else, but realistically, it just depends on what the game in question is focusing on.

Comment

A good story gets you invested in the characters and their interactions.

Comment

You don't really have an option that says "I LOVE a good story, but I can enjoy a game without it if the gameplay is great".

Y'know, like MONSTER HUNTER.

Comment

Working...
                              X