Daily Poll 155: Are games art?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daily Poll 155: Are games art?

Last Daily Poll was on gaming related content. Check it out here: https://www.exclusivelygames.com/for...elated-content

Are games art? It's an age old question depending on how old you are. This topic has been debated by gamers, developers, politicians and the media. What side on the argument do you fall on? Games have really developed a lot since the pong days and even from the end of the 20th century. There's thousands of games and a lot of devs have a message they want to communicate to their players with their game.

Check out the daily poll archive: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...eZa5loUQvE-SI/
    Games are art
    80.85%
    Games are not art
    2.13%
    I can't decide
    4.26%
    I don't care if games are art or not
    12.77%
    I'm crawling deeper and deeper into backlog hell. Also I stream on dlive: https://dlive.tv/jokerthefoolio

If my computer is a museum, a game is an interactive exhibit.
    https://www.dragonflycave.com/wpay/pikachu.gif

My Profile > Edit Settings > Account Tab > Scroll down to "Conversational Detail Options" > Click the Link > Eat a cookie

Comment

Yes sadly many new ones are forgetting that. Dood

Comment

Are games art?
        No, not most of them.

There is artistry in games.
        The music, it's look or style, how good is the story and how well is it told.
        All are arts of themselves.

Many game's scores stand on their own as grand compositions, capable of inducing the desired feelings in the listener.
        The looks of some are as intriguing as any art work hung in the Metropolitan, Louvre or Hermitage museums.

But it's my opinion that the music, looks and story, taken as a whole for most games isn't art.

I didn't see an 'Only some games are art' and didn't vote.
        "We sleep peaceably in our beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on our behalf."

Steam: old_Navy_twidget

Comment

Games are an art form too, as much as movies and music is. Anything that gives the creators a plaform to express themselves is art, whether you like it or not. And nothing gives more freedom of expression than games. It's unfortunate that censorious idiots are cracking down on this art form.
          Click here for all my game reviews. | Click here for my PC hardware history from 1991
          Games purchased on EGS: 0 | Free games redeemed on EGS: 0

Comment

Yes, and I think the sooner people realize that the better, as I don’t see people asking that statues, paintings, etc. be censored.
            All my typos are intentional
            I also make videos https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCpvjyJGhppM0bExHo74vBsA

Comment

• Trout
              Trout commented
              Editing a comment
              I hear about calls for censoring Civil War statues all the time.

Yes. Art isn't simply about making a pretty painting, it is about creating an evocative work to move others and plenty of games achieve that.
            "I game, therefore I am." - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

If anyone replies with anything other than yes, I want a damn argument to why games aren't art. And that isn't an invitation to troll, I legit want to hear someone come up with a counter opinion that they aren't.
              Steam ID: Saul15 Discord: Trout#3435
              I love strategy games and coop shooters, lets play sometime.

Comment

• moboru
                moboru commented
                Editing a comment
                games suppose to be art. Yet they are corporised into product and then mass produced and replicated, good examples is endless series of games. Assassins creed... Far cry, fifa.... And more others. They got same art value as Cocacola cans. Yes some artist worked on it. But they are now Brands not Work of art.

Art's subjective so if someone considers video games to be art then they're art. If they don't then they're not. Same with spilling a bucket of paint on a canvas. Some see a masterpiece of abstract art, others see n accident. Neither are wrong.

Comment

No, games are superior.
                Hail Kizuna Ai

Comment

Originally posted by Trout View Post
                  If anyone replies with anything other than yes, I want a damn argument to why games aren't art. And that isn't an invitation to troll, I legit want to hear someone come up with a counter opinion that they aren't.
                  By definition all humans do is art, except garbage. (example: martial arts)
                  As the movies.. video games are the result of many different arts, literature, dance, music, painting, drawing or sculpture, both manual and CGI.

I suppose that the games are not Art but Design, because they are not a historical production but a modern and industrial pruduct.
                  Games 2019: The Last Night - Biomutant - Doom Eternal - Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - Mount & Blade II - Dead or Alive 6 - Tunic - Pathologic 2 - Eastshade - Scorn - A Plague Tale: Innocence - Descent (2019) - Wasteland 3 - Ancestors: The Humankinf Odyssey - Moduwar - Dawn of Man - Code Vein - Little Devil Inside - Team Sonic Racing - Street of Rage 4 - DESPERADOS 3 - Kirby Extra Epic Yarn - Void Bastards - Fimbul - The Forgotten City - The Last Campfire - Outward - Devil May Cry 5

Comment

I would say that they can be art but are not art by default.

Comment

I would say they are. Of course they will never compare to the Mona Lisa or the Sistine Chapel or the statue of David or Notre Dame, but they also allow people that make them to express themselves artistically be it through writing of the script/story or the depictions of in-game assets.

Comment

It's a form of expression, so yeah, but there's a big range between corporate art and personal art. Some people make games with no professional capacity involved, purely as a way to express themselves.

However, just because games are art, doesn't mean everything needs to be pretentious, uncompromising, or dissected and weaponized for political ends.

Comment

Originally posted by WickedWolf View Post
                          Yes, and I think the sooner people realize that the better, as I don’t see people asking that statues, paintings, etc. be censored.
                          Trout's right about Civil War General's statues.
                          And the wonderful city of San Francisco will paint over, at a cost of $600K USD to the taxpayers, a historic mural of George Washington.

So ya, people are asking that statues, painting, etc. be censored.

The censorious idiots are cracking down on anything not in alignment with their PC viewpoints.
                          Being art or not has nothing to do with it.

"We sleep peaceably in our beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on our behalf."

Steam: old_Navy_twidget

Comment

• WickedWolf
                            WickedWolf commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I think it’s far more common to dismiss games as not art, and super PC people aren’t the only ones asking for games to be censored, so yes it does having something to do with it.
                        Working...
                        X