No announcement yet.

Daily Poll 155: Are games art?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No they aren't art. At least not 95% of them. But I don't like calling games art anyway cause it adds a level of pretentiousness to games. This level of pretentiousness usually makes things terrible. I am perfectly fine with games being entertainment. They don't need to be art.

Comment

I'm more in the boat of "It can be" but not necessarily.

Some games to my mind are made as a sort of art piece and to a degree might not even be considered a game, such as Dear Esther, as sort of walking story simulator.
      As far as I could tell when I played it, you couldn't really change anything or interact with anything, just walk around and hear this guy tell a story.
      Still , it was very pretty and very moody. I quite liked it.
      I would consider that game art.

Some games might not originally be intended as an art piece, but due to their history or significance might "Become" art later.
      An example of this I would consider The Original "Doom" game as art.
      I doubt it was written with an intention to be considered an art piece, but its contribution to games, pop culture, games culture etc IMO makes it an art piece now.

This makes the whole thing subjective really.
      Last edited by danskmacabre; 07-29-2019, 03:34 AM.

Comment

They can be, when made by people with a creative vision who love what they do and make whatever they want. But the moment you start having suits hanging over the devs' shoulders and telling them how to make their games, with the goal of appeasing special interest groups or generating maximum revenue, then it's not really art anymore. For example, I wouldn't consider yearly sports games to be works of art.
        There's no way to delete my account, so I'll just put this here:

I'm done with this site, and will no longer be a member here. Goodbye.

Comment

• Dub-Z
          Dub-Z commented
          Editing a comment
          Good answer.

They are art, they always have been, and they always will be. It's not pretentious to want people to accept that, and stop using video games as a scapegoat, which hopefully the acceptance of them being art will do.

Comment

All entertainment mediums are art. It's such a dumb question

Comment

• moboru
            moboru commented
            Editing a comment
            it uses artistic people. But its dont make it art.

It suppose to be art.
          But its not. Why?
          Art cant be censured. Games are constantly censured.

Comment

• aileron
            aileron commented
            Editing a comment
            Books have been banned. Statues private parts have been covered. It's happened in the past to other forms of art and it's happening now to video games.

Yes. I'm not sure what more to say. It's not even a debate to me. You can debate if a particular video game is good art or high quality art or some such, but the entire medium of video games is definitely art. If movies, tv shows, books are art then video games are art.

Comment

If art had a final evolution in our current age, it would be video games. Video games take the art of music, the art of visuals, the art of literature, and the art of sport, then combine them into a final form that no other art, as of now time, can even hope to achieve.
            Last edited by Hyperweasle; 07-30-2019, 06:10 AM.
            Violence doesn't solve anything, my block list does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myWaa6xvPZ4

Comment

If Tracey Emin's Unmade Bed is Art --- ANY Game is Art !

Comment

• Hyperweasle
                Hyperweasle commented
                Editing a comment
                Well guess my room was full of art about 2 hours ago...before I decided to clean it.

I'd say so. Art can be a broad range of things, although I had a roommate who disagreed with this when I once told him that music was art too...

...Back on topic. I see video games as a product that one puts together for everyone's entertainment. It takes creativity to make it work out; gathering resources and putting it all together in a way that can attract someone's attention. If someone made a game, took a step back, and was satisfied with how it turned out, then yes, I can definitely see games as art.
              ​​​​​

Comment

Of course they are. All games, even bad games are art. Some one had an idea and they wanted to express that idea. It's like asking "are all paintings art?" or "is all music art?" or "are all poems art?". You get my drift. Of course some art is universally accepted and others shunned, but that doesn't determine what is or isn't art.

Comment

Some games are art, for example The Witcher 3, HoMM III, Neverhood and Old School RuneScape xD
                  maybe other games like Comandos 3, Fallout 1 and Fallout 2. But my fav is RS and maybe OSRS
                  https://osbot.org/forum/topic/155931...complete-fish/
                  Last edited by cytatytacyta; 09-10-2019, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Yes. And just like in any art form, there’s countless different adaptations of ones artistry.

For instance in movies, Hateful Eight and Ridiculous 6, both westerns of the same era, the other one is a work of art, and it’s highly debatable if the other one is a movie.
                    Just like GTA5 and Ride To Hell:Retribution.

Comment

Working...
                    X