No announcement yet.

Daily Poll 157: Is DRM good for games?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daily Poll 157: Is DRM good for games?

Last Daily Poll was on speedrunning. Check it out here: https://www.exclusivelygames.com/for...t-speedrunning

DRM or digital rights management is a hated idea among a lot of old school PC gamers. Bethesda had a massive blunder with releasing the classic Doom games with really intrusive DRM. I know a lot of people have strong opinions on this topic. So voice them here and I'll be sitting in the sidelines with some popcorn. Also which is better I can't decide or There isn't enough information for me to decide?

Check out the daily poll archive: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...eZa5loUQvE-SI/
    DRM is good for games
    0%
    DRM is bad for games
    79.49%
    DRM isn't good or bad for games
    2.56%
    DRM is good and bad for games
    12.82%
    I can't decide
    5.13%
    I'm crawling deeper and deeper into backlog hell. Also I stream on dlive: https://dlive.tv/jokerthefoolio

I don't have an issue with DRM. I have never experienced the performance crippling effects of DRM you hear people talk about. Though a lot of that has been debunked. Most cases it's just people trying to run games on below spec systems. There are videos on YouTube where people have proven that DRM like Denuvo cause basically little to no drop in performance. I understand the annoyance people have with it. The always online complaint is another popular one. But who doesn't have internet access these days? Not every game has this requirement.

But putting DRM in games as old as Doom is stupid. There are so many ways to get Doom and Doom II for free it's ridiculous. Unless Bethesda plans to chase down all these free Doom downloads it's pointless. You can get Doom, Doom II, Final Doom on Steam right now for $1.64 each. I have physical copies of all three games. I bought them at Walmart back when Doom 3 was released. I believe I paid $10 for them. I have them on Steam and on Disc.

Comment

I own games on steam I can no longer play because I don't have its bullshit personal launcher drm login info anymore.
      Steam ID: Saul15 Discord: Trout#3435
      I love strategy games and coop shooters, lets play sometime.

Comment

DRM is very anti-consumer why is this even a question.
        Steam: Chillmasta PSN: Chillmasta1337

Add me if you want mostly into RTS, RPGs, and Sports games.

Comment

DRM is good because it prevents weasels from pirating games of respectable studios.
          DRM is bad because after it is cracked it causes more problems for legitimate users than pirates.

I think developers should adopt a stance of ethical DRM, meaning as soon as a game's protection is cracked just patch it out, as from then on it only hurts your paying customers.
          Click here for all my game reviews. | Click here for my PC hardware history from 1991
          Games purchased on EGS: 0 | Free games redeemed on EGS: 0

Comment

Originally posted by MadMummy76 View Post
            DRM is good because it prevents weasels from pirating games of respectable studios.
            DRM is bad because after it is cracked it causes more problems for legitimate users than pirates.

I think developers should adopt a stance of ethical DRM, meaning as soon as a game's protection is cracked just patch it out, as from then on it only hurts your paying customers.
            Nah, they shouldn't even bother wasting money on it. Sooner or later the DRM will be cracked anyways. CDPR proves that DRM is not needed because the Witcher 3 sold just as well as any other AAA game without any DRM. The people who only pirate aren't going to pay for the game anyways and the legit players who want to support the devs aren't going to just decide to pirate the game if treated well either. Pirating from the legit players only happens when they are treated poorly and don't want to support the company.
            Violence doesn't solve anything, my block list does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myWaa6xvPZ4

Comment

DRM used to be alright when games were on disc. Have no problem with having to stick the disc in to play my games or typing product codes at installation. However when they started implementing logins and online requirements that's when I get annoyed. Even worse is the fact that US has laws against subverting DRM, so a company could technically com after me for modifying files on my own computer even if I legally purchased the game. It's insane that DRM is actually protected to that level.
              Violence doesn't solve anything, my block list does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myWaa6xvPZ4

Comment

• moboru
                moboru commented
                Editing a comment
                cant agree more. i hate modern take that CD is worthles and dont contain even 20% of the game on it.

DRM is universally bad for games because those who will pirate a game will never buy it even if it's hard to crack and eventually it will be cracked. Pirates should be considered outside the target demographic of a games publisher just as much as dump truck drivers should be considered outside their target demographic. You're not selling to them because they will never buy. And with these online platforms such as Steam and Origin there aren't even any "demo pirates" anymore, people skeptical about the quality of a game because you can try games for two hours and return them with little (Steam) to no (Origin) questions asked.

...And when the DRM gets cracked, it will have exhausted even the illusion of worth it had and from that point onwards only continues to inconvenience legitimate customers. Bethesda still hasn't removed Denuvo from Prey, a game where every loading screen has two consecutive loading screens, meaning that for every 40 seconds you spend on the first one and every 20 seconds you spend on the last one you're probably wasting a fourth of your time because of DRM that no longer serves any purpose.

Always-online DRM however is never necessary. Pirates can spoof that online check too and after that the system only inconveniences legitimate players who's internet connection happens to cut out for a second. And when it comes to multiplayer games, just the act of you playing on first-party servers is enough of an always-online DRM. I'd say that if the game you sold to me isn't mine, then the money I paid for it isn't yours.

Comment

Originally posted by Hyperweasle View Post

Nah, they shouldn't even bother wasting money on it. Sooner or later the DRM will be cracked anyways. CDPR proves that DRM is not needed because the Witcher 3 sold just as well as any other AAA game without any DRM. The people who only pirate aren't going to pay for the game anyways and the legit players who want to support the devs aren't going to just decide to pirate the game if treated well either. Pirating from the legit players only happens when they are treated poorly and don't want to support the company.
                Just because inherent pirates won't pay for the game doesn't mean they should be allowed to play it.

Oh, let's give it to them free, they aren't going to pay for it anyway, what?
                Click here for all my game reviews. | Click here for my PC hardware history from 1991
                Games purchased on EGS: 0 | Free games redeemed on EGS: 0

Comment

• mmetalfan
                  mmetalfan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  They get it for free regardless if it has DRM or not

DRM is anti consumer and doesn't work to stop pirates so why have it. Pirates get around it and those who get the game legally get punished by it and you can consider yourself lucky if game has only one DRM. Dood

Comment

• Jokerthefoolio
                  Jokerthefoolio commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Didn't hear what you said dood!

• Sick243
                  Sick243 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Do you have a ship? Dood

DRM is absolutely worthless, it doesn't faze piracy at all and brings all sorts of headaches to legitimate consumers as the latest Bethesda fail shows.
                "I game, therefore I am." - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Dunno if DRM is bad for games but it's certainly bad for the consumer.
                  Hail Kizuna Ai

Comment

I have crappy internet - DRM makes everything painful to play, and some games unplayable.
                    Micro piglets stalk your dungeon - BEWARE !

Comment

DRM is absolutely horrible for games because all it does is encourage pirates due to it's negative connotations, and hurt people who buy games legitimately after it's cracked, which is almost always too fast for it make any kind of difference. Spyro 3 had the right idea on how to deal with pirates, and unless we can find a way to adopt a nature like that, which makes it harder to crack and can actually have a positive effect on the games that have it sales, there's no point in it being there at all.

Comment

Overall, DRM is bad.
                        It discourages people from buying games.
                        It encourages people to pirate games.

Comment

Working...
                        X