Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Daily Poll 163: Should microtransactions be regulated by the government?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daily Poll 163: Should microtransactions be regulated by the government?

Last Daily Poll was on Youngblood. Check it out here: https://www.exclusivelygames.com/for...ein-youngblood

Activision and EA and the other AAA companies are hated primarily for the need to implement microtransactions. The game has to be designed to get you to pay for everything and it's a pitfall for a lot of people or unwittingly takes advantages of kids' ignorance. This has been so bad in games that governments are starting to take notice and some lawmakers are pushing to regulate the industry in this way. This thread will be a bit political but it's an important thing to talk about.

Check out the daily poll archive: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...eZa5loUQvE-SI/
    Microtransactions should be regulated
    58.93%
    Microtransactions shouldn't be regulated
    28.57%
    I don't care
    3.57%
    I can't decide
    8.93%
    I'm crawling deeper and deeper into backlog hell. Also I stream on dlive: https://dlive.tv/jokerthefoolio

Absolutely and I don't care about the consequences. I prefer the obscene amount of money it profits to go to a politic in Texas than to the publishers

Comment

• moboru
      moboru commented
      Editing a comment
      they just increase price.

At this point? Yeah they should be. The circus known as the ESRB which is just a huge lobby conglomerate of the biggest, scummiest companies in the gaming industry has shown that they can't effectively police themselves, nor do they want to. So I'd be very happy with a heavy-handed approach from the governments of each respective country getting in on this.

Comment

Saying what can and can't be in a game sounds like something from the regressive left.
      Regulation isn't the solution.

And when I say no regulation, I'm not talking about "surprise mechanics".
      If it fits a country's statutory definition of gambling, regulate the piss out of it.

If you know what your paying for e.g. a weapons skin, character skin, bonus XP, whatever, before money changes hands well that just sounds like capitalism.
      If you don't like games with micro-transactions, don't buy those game.
      "We sleep peaceably in our beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on our behalf."

Comment

To be honest, I can't decide.

Cause the government on one side it's a huge problem
        [ Next they will be regulating violence in games even more, or even remove anime milk farms or they will downright decide what should be in games or not and it sounds scary as hell. ]

But on the other side the developers are abusing their power each bloody day.

In the end we will all lose...
        ( ´・ω・`)_且~ Would you care to join me for a cup of tea?
        Sips Tea Majeeeeestically!

Comment

• Zagreus_Veritas
          Zagreus_Veritas commented
          Editing a comment
          I was typing a reply but after the fifth line I realized that what I was Writing would violate the forum terms of "no politics".

• Necromancerx69
          Necromancerx69 commented
          Editing a comment
          @Zagreus_Veritas
          I know the feel.

Oh, hell no. Don't get me wrong, I do NOT like microtransactions or loot crates, though I'm just as guilty as anyone of buying stuff that you don't really need to play a game. I REALLY wish developers would just drop the whole concept, but if there's one thing I hate more than sleazy money-grabbing bullshit like microtransactions, it's government interference and regulation. Government has no place in gaming, imo. Slap 'em on the wrist, maybe. Let them know we're not happy about them. Maybe even refuse to buy games that include crap like that. Eventually, they'll get the message. Until then, maybe parent better and don't let kids buy from the marketplace without at least checking with their parents first. Maybe don't allow kids to buy stuff from the marketplace at all.

Just to be clear, though: I want microtransactions and loot boxes to go the hell away. Yes, even the cosmetic ones. There have been far better systems for unlocking those kinds of things in the past. Keep real money out of it once the game has been purchased, especially if a season pass has also been bought. But government regulation is not the answer.
        Last edited by Goldenfoxx; 08-05-2019, 11:58 AM.
        Xbox Live: Goldnfoxx
        PSN: Goldenfoxx
        Nintendo: SW-5996-7611-3106
        Steam: Goldenfoxx / [email protected]

Comment

I truly envy your naivety if you think letting the gouvernement step into regulating videogames is gonna stop at banning lootboxes.

Comment

Alas, yes. This industry has proven several times that it can't regulate itself and have absolutely no cares about the consequences.
            "I game, therefore I am." - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Taxation is theft, damn commies.
              Steam ID: Saul15 Discord: Trout#3435
              I love strategy games and coop shooters, lets play sometime.

Comment

Lootboxes should be regulated as a form of gambling, but as for everything else, hell no. Keep the government out of video games.
                There's no way to delete my account, so I'll just put this here:

I'm done with this site, and will no longer be a member here. Goodbye.

Comment

• Trout
                  Trout commented
                  Editing a comment
                  *insert my "If lootboxes are gambling, so are booster packs. Change my Mind" meme*

The market has proven that they cannot be trusted to regulate it themselves. The people are not stopping their micro purchases. No matter how bad things get, the customers are continuing to support the practice. People must be kept from supporting it because they are too stupid to stop. That is not an insult, that is a description. Sometimes the majority is wrong and they must be forced to not do stupid things that negatively affect the industry and products. I only mourn the loss of the fact that people playing mobile games with microtransactions will no longer be punishing themselves for their bad taste by paying to play what they shouldn't be playing.

Forget taxing them. Unconditionally confiscate 100% of microtransaction revenue. Make it impossible for the development of those features to produce anything but loss. Personally I believe the biggest problem of AAA games these days and the prime contributor to the necessity of alternate revenue streams is the fact that games that used to cost $150k to produce and were sold for $60 are not costing $2M and are still being sold for $60. No wonder publishers feel the need to make their products print extra cash. They are not being allowed to sell products that are literally worth more for more money. Ironic. Another case of the market regulating itself, people voting with their wallets, and it only making things worse.

Comment

At this point, yes, gamers tried to tell them to stop going overboard but they wouldn't listen, insted they call gamers all kind of things, now the govt can deal with it and these companies don't need to hope for gamers to defend them.
                  Hail Kizuna Ai

Comment

If people want to toss extra into the pot so that I don't have to, then more power to them, some of the games I enjoy today probably couldn't have been made without their help.
                    Iconoclast

Jeremy: ResetEra is a forum full of outrage merchants
                    Also Jeremy: Join ExclusivelyGames, a forum full of outrage merchants

Comment

We are at the point where the answer has to be yes. Both the ESRB and the ESA (although to be fair the ESA polices the ESRB so it's hard to know exactly if it's their fault or not) are not handling microtransactions and gambling based mechanics the way they should be handled, and they have no interest in doing so. Microtransactions as an idea were fine, but as implemented, are totally ruining the games they are in.

Comment

Originally posted by Necromancerx69 View Post
                        To be honest, I can't decide.

Cause the government on one side it's a huge problem
                        [ Next they will be regulating violence in games even more, or even remove anime milk farms or they will downright decide what should be in games or not and it sounds scary as hell. ]

But on the other side the developers are abusing their power each bloody day.

In the end we will all lose...
                        I agree, I don't like either. However at least the greedy publishers are restrained to their own platforms, unfortunately the government isn't nearly as restrained.
                        Violence doesn't solve anything, my block list does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myWaa6xvPZ4

Comment

Working...
                        X