Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Daily Poll 163: Should microtransactions be regulated by the government?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It seems that the industry is beginning to take small steps toward self-regulation. Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo will now require all developers who sell lootboxes on their platforms to disclose the odds of winning the prizes. ReviewTechUSA has a video on it:

There's no way to delete my account, so I'll just put this here:

I'm done with this site, and will no longer be a member here. Goodbye.

Comment

I think there needs to be a watchdog of some sort that can force fines and refunds when developers blatantly lie about their product.

I also think that loot boxes should not be purchasable with real money. You can have your surprise mechanic if you want but as soon as you introduce real money, it is a form of gambling.

Comment

• twidget
        twidget commented
        Editing a comment
        So you buy chips or whatever the in game currency is called and it's no longer gambling?

I kind of don't care at this point, since every single game that has them seems to be a game I don't care about

Comment

Charge CEO's and shareholders with RICO and throw them in prison like drug lords.

Microtransactions destroy lives and the China owned games are siphoning wealth from the national GDP.

😈

Comment

I may not like the potential problems but people are getting hurt, the quality of AAA games as a whole are getting worse, beloved series are getting ruined, and things are more likely then not going to get worse; so as I see it those out weight the potential problems

Comment

They shouldn't exists in the first place but when you make governments look like good guys you should know you F up big time Dood

Comment

Originally posted by Zagreus_Veritas View Post
              The problem is that with games today when you buy the product you like, you might get it in a wrapper made of shit.
              A wrapper made of shit that barely functions as a wrapper, because it is made out of shit.
              The problem with games today is people piss and moan about the micro-transactions/loot-boxes and buy the games anyway.
              The problem with games today is people piss and moan that games are released broken and buy games on day one anyway.

If you can't use the resources available to view game play and wait for reviews from people you trust, you deserve that piece of crap, shrink wrapped in shit.

I disagree with Garrett on the solution but agree that the problem is the consumer.
              People have to stop buying broken pieces of crap, filled with micro-transaction and/or loot-boxes or the industry will never stop selling those products.

The Government is not a good solution.
              The Government, The Executive and various legislators in the USA, currently think video games contribute to or cause mass shootings.
              Do you really want these people messing around with what can and can't be included in or with a game?

I hear you, "But we only want micro-transactions and loot-boxes removed."
              To paraphrase Martin Niemöller . . .
              First they came for the micro-transaction, and I did not speak out—
              I wanted them gone.
              Then they came for the . . .

For the what?
              What would be next?
              Will there be something next?
              Do you really want your government to decide?

/rant
              "We sleep peaceably in our beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on our behalf."

Steam: old_Navy_twidget

Comment

Originally posted by twidget View Post
                The problem with games today is people piss and moan about the micro-transactions/loot-boxes and buy the games anyway.
                The problem with games today is people piss and moan that games are released broken and buy games on day one anyway.

If you can't use the resources available to view game play and wait for reviews from people you trust, you deserve that piece of crap, shrink wrapped in shit.
                I was actually referring to the Epic Games Store, a digital media delivery service in name only, since it lacks even basic features that other digital media delivery services has.
                The yeeting of cats strictly prohibited in this area.

Comment

• twidget
                  twidget commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You were so clear about what you were referencing.
                  How could I have missed it?
                  /s
              Working...
              X