Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Daily Poll 164: Is music an important part of game design?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daily Poll 164: Is music an important part of game design?

Last Daily Poll was on microtransactions being regulated. Check it out here: https://www.exclusivelygames.com/for...the-government

Music has been in games for decades and has really evolved since the NES days. A lot of people are quick to say that a good or bad soundtrack can make or break a game. Music as I see it can do wonders to immerse you in the game and to change your emotions to suit the gameplay you're experiencing at that moment. A lot of game music is pretty boring to listen to stand alone. On the other hand I've see some people in this forum say music doesn't matter at all. I do think music matters in games not as much as gameplay or story but it's a subtle part of design that can really enhance a game when done well. What do you guys think?

Check out the daily poll archive: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...eZa5loUQvE-SI/
    music is important to game design
    97.22%
    music is not important to game design
    2.78%
    music is not a part of game design
    0%
    I can't decide
    0%
    I don't care about music in games
    0%
    I'm crawling deeper and deeper into backlog hell. Also I stream on dlive: https://dlive.tv/jokerthefoolio

Why is this even a question?
    Music has such an important role in game design that I am 99% certain that the Music score is the only reason certain games sold as well as they did. And I'm not even talking about lazy game design here.

What would SotN be without its Music? Same with the Zelda series, or Metroid!
    The yeeting of cats strictly prohibited in this area.

Comment

Audio ques are important to any experience that has sound. Especially games that involve reaction time. Hack n Slash games, fighting games, RHYTHM GAMES!
      This post is only dedicated to beautiful people here tonight... it means none of you.

Comment

Absolutely, music is important to game design. How many games are hailed for their great soundtracks? I can only speak for myself, but I can listen to video game music just as I would any other sort of music. That being said, I can’t really think of a game that was made worse by its soundtrack, but I can name plenty where the soundtrack made it a more enjoyable experience for me overall. Even incredibly out of place stuff like Dragon’s Dogma’s original theme can be enjoyable to listen to.
        All my typos are intentional
        I also make videos https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCpvjyJGhppM0bExHo74vBsA

Comment

• Zagreus_Veritas
          Zagreus_Veritas commented
          Editing a comment
          Dragon's Dogma nearly killed me the first time I Heard it, I choked on my sandwich.

I'm so happy with the result of this voting
        Music's importance is out of question. It creates mood and sometimes helps to understand which way to go or if you're doing something wrong

Comment

Music in games is a necessary part of designing a game, to a certain extent. If you are playing Civilization or Offworld Trading Colony, go ahead and mute the in game music. It doesn't add anything to the game. But say you are a long time Elder Scrolls fan and I start playing the theme to Morrowind or Oblivion, and you will be day dreaming the game no different than if I played the soundtrack of a scene from your favorite movie. The music can be simplistic too, Pokemon Red/Blue, Super Mario, or Link to the Past's opening screen music still does it for me.

In a nutshell, I'd say that the music can be so powerful that it subconsciously works at you to set the ton for whats to come when done right.
          Steam ID: Saul15 Discord: Trout#3435
          I love strategy games and coop shooters, lets play sometime.

Comment

After playing Brutal Legend, I will have to say that yeah, music is the strongest point of most video games and a much needed feature.
            Not to mention I even bought some OST's from some of my favorite games.
            ( ´・ω・`)_且~ Would you care to join me for a cup of tea?
            Sips Tea Majeeeeestically!

Comment

Of course it is.
              "I game, therefore I am." - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Yeah it is important, even though I turn off music in a large portion of my games =(
                The transition between zones like cities and open fields, the serene tones versus the quick battle music in RPGs is great although can get repetitive. It sets the mood along with the visuals you are given.

Comment

Yes, of course.
                  Hail Kizuna Ai

Comment

I love music, and listen to game music all the time. But actually I think music is important to some games, but not really all of them. Someone mentioned Zelda, which I find a little odd because while I admit I haven't really played any zelda games after ocarina of time (though I did play minish cap), not a single song really was memorable to me. Music just wasn't important to zelda to me. Likewise, I recently bought slay the spire, and it's fun, but... The music really pretty forgettable to me. Plus I know many people who play games with the music turned off so they can listen to their own music.

Or better yet, when I play racing games like Gran Tourismo or Forza Motorsport. I just turn the music off because to me I don't want anything to impede on the sound of the engines and screeches and such.

I think music is important for most games, but I am reluctant to state is IS important for all games. That said, when Bloodstained started its kickstarter, I kid you not, I didn't care if Iga was in it or not. The very first thing I did was make sure Yamane was in there, and as soon as I saw that she was, I backed that @%#@.

Comment

No, clearly all games would be better off with silence and sound effects. (The heck...!?)
                      Xbox Live: Goldnfoxx
                      PSN: Goldenfoxx
                      Nintendo: SW-5996-7611-3106
                      Steam: Goldenfoxx / [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Goldenfoxx View Post
                        No, clearly all games would be better off with silence and sound effects. (The heck...!?)
                        Not sure if you're mocking my point, if so I clearly didn't say all games.

Comment

• Goldenfoxx
                          Goldenfoxx commented
                          Editing a comment
                          LOL. That was an unfortunate coincidence; sorry. No, I was mocking the initial poll. You don't have to say that it's Thing #1 in all games to raise an eyebrow at the question of whether or music is an important part of game design.

This actually brings up an interesting thought, with all the artsy games coming out of indie devs these days, has anyone made a game that deliberatetly eschews music and sounds?
                        It could actually be an interesting experience if they had to come up with visual cues and representations for everything.
                        The yeeting of cats strictly prohibited in this area.

Comment

*starts game for first time*
                          *settings -> controls -> invert Y axis*
                          *settings -> music -> volume 0*
                          Iconoclast

Jeremy: ResetEra is a forum full of outrage merchants
                          Also Jeremy: Join ExclusivelyGames, a forum full of outrage merchants

Comment

Working...
                          X