Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Daily Poll 166: Do you think the game industry will crash?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jokerthefoolio
    commented on 's reply

• Sick243
    commented on 's reply
    might came out bit harsh but their are plenty people out there that will blindly buy them Dood
    Last edited by Sick243; 08-12-2019, 11:52 AM. Reason: Dam it I forgot DOOD

• Jokerthefoolio
    commented on 's reply
    woah dood...

• Sick243
    replied
    It will not crash like b4 it got way to big for that and gamers are to fractured to make large impact on industry

Leave a comment:

• Magvel
    commented on 's reply
    (literally the best year for gaming this generation with 2017)

• Balta666
    replied
    I can't see a crash of the videogame industry but Cana crash of the AAA's as Nintendo, Sony and Indies not only won't crash but will enjoy more sales at the same time

Leave a comment:

• Trout
    replied
    Unlike the 80's game industry crash or the 90's internet bubble, vidya games are too big to crash now. Since the previous gen, its been increasingly marketed as a home entertainment system, that alone has lasting power. Plus factor in the vast amount of publishers for games out there and development studios, its too spread out, or diversified, to collapse.

Leave a comment:

• The Messenger
    replied
    I hope it does. The industry needs a shake up. The status quo needs to be smashed because the industry right now sucks

Leave a comment:

• JackofTears
    replied
    Crash? Probably not, but it might face a restructuring as people turn away from popular AAA producers and focus more on companies which actually care about their players.

Leave a comment:

• Magvel
    replied
    I don't see a crash happen anytime soon. Gaming is mainstream nowadays, there are several huge companies as opposed to the almost monopoly atari had back in the day and there's so much information that in most cases you know how a game is like before buying it beforehand. Like even if a big dog fucks up to the point of complete lost of trust (already quite unlikely as EA is still raking money, hell want more cold hard truth ? If lootboxes are banned their sports games will just revert to regular microtransactions) it's not like every single big publisher will lose complete trust from consumers.

Leave a comment:

• Magvel
    commented on 's reply
    Thomas_JCG Regulations won't hit microtransactions, lootboxes enter in conflict with gambling laws due to their random element but mtx aren't random since you know beforehand what you're buying, even if you're buying 9000 jewels for 5000 thousand united states dollars in mokedon totally not shovelware ripoff. And that's even implying regulation on lootboxes ever reaches the point of them not being worth including in games (which is quite unlikely until at least several years as the UK already doesn't seem very down to go along due to gambling being part of their culture, the US is full of lobbying and Japan doesn't even care, and even in the EU there are only a handful of countries who banned lootboxes, and add the fact laws take months if not years to be voted and applied).

Regulating microtransactions opens cans of worms most legislators don't want to open (what is the value of a digital good ? How do you evaluate it ? Is the value different if it comes from a F2P game versus a premium one ? Does the law include DLC ?) and they don't really have that krutch of "think of the children" (how do you differenciate "I gave my credit card to my kid and he spent 300$ on 8 games in the store" and "I gave my kid my credit card and he spent 300$ on mokedon totally not shovelware ripoff" ?), unless there is a HUGE outcry (we're talking battlefront 2 level of outcry) against the practice itself and politicians see a way to get good PR (seriously who heard of Chris Lee before battlefront 2 and who cared about him after it wasn't trendy to talk about battlefront 2 and even legacykillahd moved on) it's not gonna happen, Hell I'd even say it isn't that popular since the average person mostly only play mobile stuff in the train (ye it's cliche but it's still true) or big AAA releases and don't really care about the monetisation, usually going along or not using it. Point being 1. there's less ground to stand on and 2. it's far less popular than regulating lootboxes and by the time it happens (if it happens) mtx are gonna be kinda accepted (like prank videos on youtube or DLCs in games, they were hated when they came out, they're still mostly disliked by the people who are invested in the media but the rest of the people aka the majority are just whatever when it pops just like the average person doesn't know or care about 90% of what is discueed in gaming forums/twitter/reddit)

I see mtx more like DLCs, stuff that can and will be criticized if abused (or if not lol hello DMCV) but won't get touched by legislations in the slightest due to the questions asked beforehand and mostly the fact regulation wasn't even discussed even when shit like the horse armor or the alt ending in asura wrath came out (and in all cold honesty had battlefront 2 not happened lootboxes would be there as much it not more than before, point being if) just like regulation for microtransactions has never been a subject of discussion

• Thomas_JCG
    commented on 's reply
    Magvel - I don't see how those are mutually exclusive.

• Retro84
    replied
    It could happen. While in the past this was something I'd worry about, but not so much anymore (I'm just sick of the way it's turning out these days).

????

Leave a comment:

• skywalker0957
    commented on 's reply
    This basically sums it up quite well. So much of the gain these major publishers have is from the insane growth of video games over the last decade and many investors jumped on that. Reality now is market saturation and maturity. I would say that with gaming being mainstream the amount of new users is the same as the amount of users leaving therefore growth isn't really happening and if it is its not that crazy growth from before. Hence we see so much monetization so major companies can continue to try and show that they are having insane revenue growth. Its gonna catch up and the investors that went in for that growth will leave. It could cause a crash though it may be more of a dramatic value loss than a full on crash as long term investment takes over.

• Magvel
    commented on 's reply
    That looks more than what you want to happen rather than what will happen tbh
Working...
X