Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Daily Poll 167: Is comedy a genre in games?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daily Poll 167: Is comedy a genre in games?

Last Daily Poll was on the game industry crashing. Check it out here: https://www.exclusivelygames.com/for...try-will-crash

This is a topic suggested by Necromancerx69. Comedy isn't something that is considered too much in games. Jokes in dialog exist in a lot of games but RPGs,FPS and Action Adventure games typically center themselves around a story with some degree of seriousness then of course there are mobile games and sports games. Games that have no personalty and only exist to suck money from customers. Games like Monkey Island and Leisure Suit Larry are games that designed around being a joke. Comedy games do tend to be point and click from my perspective. Though plenty of other games can be defined as a comedy game? Does a comedy genre exist for games?

Check out the daily poll archive: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...eZa5loUQvE-SI/
    Comedy is a game genre
    34.29%
    Comedy isn't a game genre
    48.57%
    I'm not sure
    8.57%
    I don't care
    8.57%
    I'm crawling deeper and deeper into backlog hell. Also I stream on dlive: https://dlive.tv/jokerthefoolio

The Monkey Island series.
    I rest my case.
    The yeeting of cats strictly prohibited in this area.

Comment

Not a genre in itself but a game of any genre can have almost no comedy in it up to almost all comedy.

Comment

What's not funny about using Holy Hand Grenades or exploding sheep and cows in Worms, a strategy game.
        The Stick of Truth is an RPG.
        Psychonauts is a platformer.
        West of Loathing, another RPG.

If somebody suggested you play a game because it's funny wouldn't you check it out and see if it was in a genre you like?
        A game can be very funny but it seems to me they're always thought of as a funny <insert genre>.
        "We sleep peaceably in our beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on our behalf."

Comment

• Jokerthefoolio
          Jokerthefoolio commented
          Editing a comment
          This something I thought about as well. It was really funny playing GTA online on PC with some scottish guy who hacked the game and broke the game in really stupid ways. It was hilarious and nobody thinks that GTA is a comedy game.

Originally posted by Zagreus_Veritas View Post
        The Monkey Island series.
        I rest my case.
        So you think those aren't adventure games, but "comedy games" ?

Every genre of game can be a comedy, comedy in itself doesn't define the genre. It's as much a genre for games as Black and White is a genre for movies.
        Click here for all my game reviews. | Click here for my PC hardware history from 1991
        Games purchased on EGS: 0 | Free games redeemed on EGS: 0

Comment

• Zagreus_Veritas
          Zagreus_Veritas commented
          Editing a comment
          Why can't they be both?

• MadMummy76
          MadMummy76 commented
          Editing a comment
          Of course they can be both, action, shooter, rpg, strategy, simulation, etc are genres. comedy is not because it doesn't define the game, it defines the story.

Does not make any sense to say comedy is a genre as also drama or other movie themes. Game genre are based on gameplay...

Comment

More of sub-gender of games Dood

Comment

That's a friggen good question actually, best case for the yes it is vote I saw was the South Park games. I would definitely say that is a comedy based game for sure. I mean a genre is a centralised theme after all isn't it whether it is a play, movie, book or what ever medium. So yes I guess it is although a rarely used genre.

Comment

Originally posted by Sick243 View Post
            More of sub-gender of games Dood
            There are only two genders!
            "We sleep peaceably in our beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on our behalf."

Comment

• Sick243
              Sick243 commented
              Editing a comment
              RRRREEEEEEEEEEEE lol good one I take my hat off to you Dood

No. Video game genre is defined by its gameplay, not "mood".
            "I game, therefore I am." - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas_JCG View Post
              No. Video game genre is defined by its gameplay, not "mood".
              What about horror games?
              The yeeting of cats strictly prohibited in this area.

Comment

Originally posted by Zagreus_Veritas View Post
                What about horror games?
                A sub-genre of action-adventure games.

Comment

Sub genre maybe but there is not really such a thing as a comedy game, comedy is only a part of a game, comedic action adventure etc.
                  Hail Kizuna Ai

Comment

There can be comedy in any genre. Point and click adventures just have it down to a mastery.

There have been shoot em ups, like Parodius; not much dialogue, but the comedy is all visual anyway. The Mario based RPGs were always very funny too. Waku Waku 7 (Neo Geo) is a funny fighting game that seems to parody a number of anime character types. There are a bunch more out there that don't necessarily need to be point and click adventure games.

Comment

Honestly, I don't care about splitting hairs for determining game genres anymore. As far as I'm concerned genres are just helpful tools on games store to help narrow down my search for a game I might like or give a general idea to someone, what type of game I like. I don't understand the need to have genres be held to this golden standard. If you want to consider comedy a genre, more power to yeah. Might help me next time when searching for a game that I want a good laugh from.
                      Violence doesn't solve anything, my block list does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myWaa6xvPZ4

Comment

Working...
                      X