Pokemon 2019 Opinions: Dexit or Exit?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pokemon 2019 Opinions: Dexit or Exit?

I have seen a few forum topics, here and in other forums, but nothing that really addressed the entire thing. I am curious to hear others' opinions on what is going on right now in the Pokémon world. I have always considered Pokémon to have a wide, diverse, and pretty accepting fanbase and to see what has happened with Sword and Shield has really been eye opening. It had never occurred to me before quite what I needed to be happy with these games or how in many ways Pokémon did not hold up to modern games with a fraction of the funding and corporate power. I never really had to consider it before.

Now though, it feels like a Pokémon game without the Pokémon for me. Even if I never transferred any Pokémon, the mere thought that I could not have the Pokémon I love in any new regions just because Game Freak decided they do not "fit" disheartens me. I do not love every Pokémon, I am as guilty as anyone else of having absolute favorites, but I know them all and feel they all have a place in the Pokémon world. I always thought that was one of the running morals of the series, that everyone had a place to be the very best. I do not play a Pokémon game for the graphics, the animations, the competitive scene, the countless features I loved that were cut, an open world, not even the story, or anything else but the Pokémon. Would I love all these things to be great or even present at all? Of course! I have dreamed of another game with two regions since Crystal (my first true Pokémon play experience) and who doesn't love a good story, but with Sword and Shield I realized where I draw the line when it comes to these games. The Pokémon come first, everything else is second. If that is not the case, then the game feels designed to disappoint and I never thought I would feel this way with the most beloved series from my childhood.

Despite my feelings, I am not going to boycott the games. I am going to give Game Freak a chance to impress me with Sword and Shield. Do I expect much? No, not really. Will my inner child ever be excited like before when I hear about a new Pokémon game announcement? Probably not. I am still going to give it a chance, but I am certainly never paying for Pokémon Home. If they wanted to push a subscription service, they better do it some other way than gutting the most important aspects of the mainline games. I cannot imagine not being more conservative with my spending on this franchise from now on, seeing as my rose colored glasses have not only been taken from me but stomped on.

That is just my opinion, though. What about everyone else? Does Sword and Shield look great and am I letting my disappointment show me faults where they do not exist or is this beyond disappointing and flat out unacceptable for a game that has as much corporate stability and makes as much money as Pokémon? Or is it somewhere in between or off the spectrum entirely?
    Sword and Shield look great and I cannot wait for them to be released! Who cares about the cuts?
    4.55%
    This game is unacceptable for a franchise like Pokemon. If this is the future, count me out!
    40.91%
    I am not happy, but I am not upset, either. I do not know how to feel about the state of things.
    40.91%
    Excited for the game, but I expect better from Game Freak.
    9.09%
    Not looking forward to these games, but I do not see the problem with Game Freak.
    4.55%
    Last edited by Calico45; 08-10-2019, 05:34 AM.

I'm sort of in the middle here. It's been since Pokemon Gold & Silver since I've been really invested in a Pokemon game. I really couldn't get through the others. As for this new one, while not having every Pokemon isn't really a good thing, it doesn't seem like a bad thing either... I'm just a bit indifferent about this, and I even know that some of my favorites won't be making the cut. I'm still pretty interested in this game, but I'm looking at how it will keep my interest though gameplay.

Comment

I'll still be buying Sword, regardless of what's happened so far. The national dex thing doesn't bother me since I always start from scratch whenever I get new pokemon games. Still, it kinda feels like they're phoning it in regarding some things, especially Team Yell. That's got to be the dumbest and ugliest Team Rocket knockoff I've ever seen. I thought Team Flare was bad, but... wow...
      There's no way to delete my account, so I'll just put this here:

I'm done with this site, and will no longer be a member here. Goodbye.

Comment

You shouldn't buy a game that is bad just to give Game Freak another chance, they won't have reason to change anything if people are still buying their crap.

Originally posted by Majestic Boer Goat View Post
        The national dex thing doesn't bother me since I always start from scratch whenever I get new pokemon games.
        That's not the problem, EVERYONE starts from scratch with a new game. The problem comes from the fact that you are unable to transfer Pokémon at all.
        - Transferring is the only way to complete the National Dex, a staple of the franchise since the beginning.
        - You can't use your favorite Pokémon.
        - You have to pay for some shitty cloud service.
        "I game, therefore I am." - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Thomas_JCG
          Thomas_JCG commented
          Editing a comment
          Balta666 - I know that. The issue is that you have to keep paying for it because you can't move your Pokémon, so GF essentially has your Pokémon hostage, and if you don't pony up, they are dead.
          Also, I said the National Dex was a staple "since the beginning", I don't know how you misunderstood that.

• Balta666
          Balta666 commented
          Editing a comment
          What I am saying is that the national Dex has not been important for the last 3/4 generations as each game provide you a regional Dex to complete with Pokémon catchable between the different games. The national Dex was just a thing without a purpose anyway. IMO the games have a lot of issues in scope but the national Dex is not one of them and I actually think they should have shove it a while ago

• Thomas_JCG
          Thomas_JCG commented
          Editing a comment
          Balta666 - That's about the dumbest thing I ever heard, no offense.

The inability to transfer Pokemon and stuff isn't as big of a deal for me. The series becoming stale and boring is the main reason why I'm not getting it.
        Check out my YouTube channel with silly Smash Bros. content: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCss...o9fW5snApff8YQ

Comment

Pole lacks a Don't care option.
          "We sleep peaceably in our beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on our behalf."

Comment

Pokemon is dead to me. I played from Blue/Yellow to X/Y and couldnt finish that game. Digi-volving, the annoying npc friends you have to constantly talk to, and all the reused puzzles from previous generations killed the franchise for me. On top of that the games were getting forgetable, I dont remember anything about Diamond or Black 1 and 2. It was time to move on.

I did put red version on my phone, but after Magikarp evolved I just stopped playing because the game was won, I just hadnt gotten all the badges yet but could walk through the rest of the game.
            Steam ID: Saul15 Discord: Trout#3435
            I love strategy games and coop shooters, lets play sometime.

Comment

• Thomas_JCG
              Thomas_JCG commented
              Editing a comment
              What? You don't have to talk to your friends all that much. Tierno, Trevor and Shauna only make a few apparitions each in the story after you meet them for the first time, they are far less intrusive than random people calling you on the Pokégear to tell you how awesome their Rattata is.

I haven't played any pokemon game past Black/White so I don't really care too much. But I can sympathize with fans who feel like they're getting boned on this one compared to the previous games. Collecting and completing the pokedex is a big part of this game and a big motivator to play it for much longer than the story goes for.

Comment

The Dexit movement is a bunch of crybabies who don't even realize it's not a first in the series but the internet doesn't care about that lol.

Real problem is the 4 hour unskippable tutorials, the shitty rivals and overall lack of a good antagonist since Ghestis and the legendaries reduced to some scripted encounter that you can't fail.

Comment

I will not be purchasing another Pokemon game even if they fix up their act. They haven't been good since Gen 4 in my opinion. More of the same, less innovation, and no shame.

Comment

Not a fan of where the Poke'mon franchise has been going, long before the National Dex getting axed. I've been a fan since the 1st gen hit the states and absolutely loved all the games up to BW2/Gen 5.
                  Imo the games on the 3DS are mediocre and Sword and Shield is just the franchise's next step into mediocrity.
                  Game Freak's yearly releases are killing overall quality, the games have gotten way too easy (single player experience), and the stories are not really all that interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Magvel View Post
                    The Dexit movement is a bunch of crybabies who don't even realize it's not a first in the series but the internet doesn't care about that lol.

Real problem is the 4 hour unskippable tutorials, the shitty rivals and overall lack of a good antagonist since Ghestis and the legendaries reduced to some scripted encounter that you can't fail.
                    Careful, your ignorance is showing.
                    First of all, the only other time people couldn't transfer Pokémon was between Gen II and III due to hardware differences. The missing Pokémon were still coded in the game, and with the release of Fire Red & Leaf Green, completing a National Dex became possible simply by trading Pokémon.
                    Now, there is no excuse whatsoever, Cloud services completely remove hardware limitations and they didn't even bothered to code the missing Pokémon, so it isn't possible to complete a National Dex at all.

Second, while it is annoying that you have to watch how to capture a Pokémon every time, 4 hours is way beyond hyperbole.

Third, when did we ever had a good rival? They are always either a douche who think they are better than you despite always losing (Gary, Silver) or accept they are garbage and get out of your way (May/Brendan, Dawn/Lucas). There was never a rival that was actually worth the tittle.

Fourth, Ghetsis? Seriously? He was a f***ing hypocrite that forced Pokémon to fight to end Pokémon fighting. And let's not even talk about his poor sense of fashion and how he just turns into a "muwahaha, the world will be mine" villain by the end.

Fifth, there was ONE scripted encounter with a legendary in XY, it was part of the story and it made sense. Also, so what if you couldn't fail? When people fail to capture legendary Pokémon, they don't go "welp" and move on, they restart the game until they succeed.
                    "I game, therefore I am." - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Magvel
                      Magvel commented
                      Editing a comment
                      2. School shit and pretty much everything until the first trial in sun and moon is a glorified turorial
                      3.A rival is an antagonist who has the same objective as the hero (literally the textbook definition), Blue wants to be the best, so does Silver and so does the player, making them rivals (and cool ones, I love that feeling of making assholes eat their words but if you prefer buddies who heal you before a fight and praise you like bitches without any ambition more power to you, Bianca's fine though)
                      4.Ghestis is a power-hungry guy who never gave a fuck about pokemon's well being, he only used that as a cover to gain support. Yes he's one dimensionnal but I'll take a straight up asshole over the "I will kill everyone in order to make the world better" from X/Y and whatever Lusamine's goals were, again I prefer that feel of defeating a truly hateable guy over some mid inconvenience whose goals are laughably stupid.
                      5. Groudon/Kyogre in RSE, Reshiram/Zekrom in BW, several in BW2 (although to be fair that's more minor ones) and you encounter Solgaleo/Lunala through a scripted event (tho that's more dignified than finding Necrozma in the victory road wasted like a drunk after 3AM), give me back legendaries I actually had to explore an actual dungeon and face some kind of challenge to get (hence why the 4th gen ones weren't included here cause at least you feel like you accomplished something other than being there and being (((the chosen one)))

You talking about ignorance would make me want to call you a clown but considering your arguments that's more like the whole circus

Ehh.. count me out! If it were meant to be a "side" game like Stadium or Colosseum then fine. But a main Pokemon game without features of a main Pokemon game...is just not Pokemon. You can't even blame the entryism from mobile players since every franchise is going that way (notice how many Pokemon Go players thought Pokemon was for losers in the Game Boy era..)

Shame as if it were a fully fledged game i might have finally considered getting a Switch.

Comment

To be honest I am disappointed with where Pokemon is heading, even game freak no longer wants to work with new Pokemon games since they are sending their best team / developers to work on new games. I won't buy Sword and Shield, only I will purchase it if the next title does have national-dex or I will simply stop purchasing Pokemon games.

Also the lack of Absol is the greatest sin Sword and Shield has committed...
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	mega_absol_by_megadiancie-d7wrx9b.png
Views:	1
Size:	804.5 KB
ID:	61607
                      ( ´・ω・`)_且~ Would you care to join me for a cup of tea?
                      Sips Tea Majeeeeestically!

Comment

• Magvel
                        Magvel commented
                        Editing a comment
                        >absol
                        Ok furry

• Necromancerx69
                        Necromancerx69 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        @Magvel
                        Plot twist (not really).
                        I was always a furry.

Join us we have cookies. OwO

Pokemon's controversies are proof that people are expecting Gold out of a series that has survived being only just above an indie title in terms of quality since it started. Pokemon isn't meant to be some major triple A player out there, and with the Switch's power and storage being so limited, this is nothing I didn't expect. I play these games for fun, and since the base idea of Pokemon is always fun, I have no problem picking up the game, having my fun, and moving on. The controversies aren't even worth my time.

Comment

• RepentantSky
                        RepentantSky commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I'm not even going to start with you. Reading your posts on this thread it's clear you just want to be pissed and damn everyone who isn't pissed with you. Also, there are so many things wrong just the 5 words you said there, that I don't have time to teach you about game development. There aren't enough hours in the day for that.I'm already done with you.

• Thomas_JCG
                        Thomas_JCG commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Or in other words, you have no argument whatsoever and just want to bail after being called on your BS. Lemme teach you a few things about the development of this game.
                        1- All the assets were lifted from the 3DS games. Sword and Shield is NOT a graphically demanding game.
                        2- A 3DS cartridge could hold 809 Pokémon just fine in under 4GB, and a Switch cartridge can store up to 32GB... Pokémon Sword and Shield would need to have 8 times the quality of the 3DS games or introduce 6472 new Pokémon before reaching the max storage. But as we already know, that's not happening, so storage isn't the problem.
                        3- Therefore, your argument that Game Freak had no choice because of the hardware they are working on is absolute hogwash.
                        Last edited by Thomas_JCG; 08-11-2019, 02:38 AM.

• Thomas_JCG
                        Thomas_JCG commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Also, I just realized we had this same discussion before, and once again you just claimed to know everything about game development and then bailed out on the discussion:
                        https://www.exclusivelygames.com/for...imations/page2
                    Working...
                    X