No announcement yet.

Daily Poll 170: Do you like minigames?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daily Poll 170: Do you like minigames?

Last Daily Poll was on conventions. Check it out here: https://www.exclusivelygames.com/for...o-a-convention

When the game isn't enough play the game within the game. Minigames have been part of games for a long time. Some are worthless and forgettable and others are a core part of making a great game. Mario Party is a great example of the latter. Minigames are common in open world games from OOT to RDR2 as a way to let you grind for items, exp, money and to make the world more immersive. That's just my opinion on minigames, what's yours?

Check out the daily poll archive: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...eZa5loUQvE-SI/
    I like all minigames
    4.35%
    I don't like any minigames
    6.52%
    I like good minigames that fit within the larger game well
    82.61%
    I don't care about minigames
    6.52%
    I'm crawling deeper and deeper into backlog hell. Also I stream on dlive: https://dlive.tv/jokerthefoolio

As long as the mini games aren't too jarring I guess, and they have to flow with the storyline/gameplay. Red Dead Redemptions for example has minigames like poker for example that are a great use of minigames that fit in with the larger game and don't interrupt the main game at all. Probably another thing to consider as well is making them optional as opposed to being compulsory for the advancement through the campaign.

Comment

I never minded lockpicking in TES series, but I've absolutely LOATHED and DREADED the pipe mini-game in the 1st Bioshock. As long as it isn't too annoying or too "big brain time" and not repeated too often I am generally OK with mini-games.

Comment

Im ok whit good mini-games as long as they are side activity in game and not forced Dood

Comment

There are some good minigames, such as the lockpicking in Splinter Cell and the hacking in Deus Ex HR / MD. But mostly minigames are just inexcusable. As in they serve no purpose, have no challenge, they waste your time in a way that has no benefit for the gameplay, and sometimes worst of all they're directly contrary to the game's design. For example there is no reason to have the hacking or lockpicking minigame in a RPG where your character skill is supposed to be the thing that determines the success of those actions. The players' inability to complete them or lack of patience to try should not be a factor whatsoever, because in a true RPG all skill is the character's skill and the player only makes the decisions regarding which action the character should attempt, then that attempt either succeeds or fails based on the character's skill and luck. Fallout and Elder Scrolls should not have minigames.

Worst of all Oblivion and Skyrim don't actually even restrict your ability to pick locks based on your character's skill. The RPG design there is completely ass-bacwards. The player can entirely bypass the skill requirement. Mass Effect games also got rid of any kind of hacking skill points which made it so that the minigames just waste your time. It's not like in Splinter Cell where lockpicking is meant to temporarily expose you and your own skill determines whether or not you can make it through the door before hostiles arrive. So that minigame explicitly wastes your time in a way that serves a purpose in the gameplay. Mass Effect, Elder Scrolls and Fallout just pause the game and make the player jump through hoops. At least the Fallout games still restrict your attempts based on character skill. Though I suppose that kinda makes it worse because the game tests both your character's skill at lockpicking and the player's skill at turning a stupid screwdriver.

Comment

Am I the only one that dislikes minigames? They are always just annoying distractions, are always something boring like Tetris and repetitive as heck.
            "I game, therefore I am." - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

As long as they aren't FISHING, I generally enjoy them, as long as they aren't repetitive and/or intrusive.
              Check out my YouTube channel with silly Smash Bros. content: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCss...o9fW5snApff8YQ

Comment

• Dub-Z
                Dub-Z commented
                Editing a comment
                I liked fishing in Final Fantasy XV, Red Dead Redemption 2 and Everybody's Golf. Can't think of any I enjoyed back in the day, and remember dreading fishing in Link's Awakening or Breath of Fire 2.

The fishing minigame in Stardew Valley is too good. Unlike most other fishing minigames, you actually have to try. If the minigame is fun like that, then I won't be complaining.

Comment

If they are fun, sure.
                Hail Kizuna Ai

Comment

• Dub-Z
                  Dub-Z commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Best answer. Fun is fun.

Most all of them are pretty fun. There are some bad ones though, like hacking in Bioshock.
                All my typos are intentional
                I also make videos https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCpvjyJGhppM0bExHo74vBsA

Comment

I like some. Final Fantasy games have some decent ones every now and then, but it's hit or miss. I usually like what many impatient people hate (most recently the lab work in Spider-Man PS4 comes to mind), so it's really just subjective.

Comment

I love minigames that fit in the game's narrative and doesn't break the 4th wall. One of the best examples the hacking in Alien Isolation

But I hate minigames that are completely alien (no pun intended) to the narrative and out of place in the game.
                    Click here for all my game reviews. | Click here for my PC hardware history from 1991
                    Games purchased on EGS: 0 | Free games redeemed on EGS: 0

Comment

• Garrett
                      Garrett commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Also the hacking minigame serves a purpose in Alien, along with all the long door opening animations. It's meant to force you to spend some time in a dangerous position and the different security levels are meant to gate your progress through the levels. The polar opposite of that is hacking in gamebryo Fallout games. A role playing game where only the character's hacking skill should matter, and the player must still hack for the character in a screen that pauses the action. Every aspect of that design is wrong.

They can be fun and I don't mind them if they don't impede gameplay in the main game.

Occasionally they're actually fun, like Fishing in Torchlight 1 and 2. I dunno why I like it. It's pretty mindless, but somehow it's fun.
                    Last edited by danskmacabre; 08-13-2019, 02:21 AM.

Comment

I literally hate minigames. Despite some of them are quite interesting, but still I feel they break the whole main-game-feel.
                      The only minigame I did actually enjoy, was RPG game inside System Shock (probably System Shock 2). It still broke the System Shock horror feel, but I did value it, as it was first RPG game I played and I was introduced to RPG games universe. (RPG fan was born)

Comment

I like minigames for the most part. Can't recall ones I've hated but I know I've had to wade through some shitty ones. Still for every bad one there's two-three good ones. Especially with the Yakuza series. Thanks to those games I now know how to play Mahjong which is something I've been wanting to learn for a while.

Comment

Working...
                        X