Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Daily Poll 171: Do graphics influence your game purchases?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daily Poll 171: Do graphics influence your game purchases?

Last Daily Poll was on minigames. Check it out here: https://www.exclusivelygames.com/for...like-minigames

From Blast processing to RTX video game hardware manufacturers have been trying to sell gamers the concept of a need for high visual fidelity. Polygons, resolution, AA, lighting and post processing have become a part of video games and matured to a point where modern games can look stunningly realistic. A game with good graphics won't necessarily play well or even look good since you can upload bad high resolution art to a capable engine. Basically all games designed to look realistic will end up looking dated in a few years since tech moves so fast these days. Is graphics performance important to you guys at all? For me with most games it's a hard no there are exceptions. I got Shadow of the Tomb Raider for pure eyecandy and on a 2080 is just that but it's not too good at being a game as stellar as its graphics.

Check out the daily poll archive: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...eZa5loUQvE-SI/
    Graphics influence all my game purchases
    2.33%
    Graphics influences most of my game purchases
    16.28%
    Graphics influences some of my game purchases
    44.19%
    Graphics influence a few of my game purchases
    20.93%
    Graphics influence none of my game purchases
    16.28%
    I'm crawling deeper and deeper into backlog hell. Also I stream on dlive: https://dlive.tv/jokerthefoolio

Graphics are a game's first impression.

The game play has to be in a genre I like and really stand out to buy a game with graphics I don't like.
    "We sleep peaceably in our beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on our behalf."

Steam: old_Navy_twidget

Comment

I'd be lying if I said they don't... I have a limit you see. I can play sprites from the 90's etc. I don't mind that. But if you make me play ASCII art like "Dwarf Fortress" or "Stone Story RPG" I just can't do it.

Comment

Don’t mind about the technique used, as long as its stylish and fits the games narrative.

Comment

Graphics do influence which games I want sometimes, but I'm very forgiving if the game is good. However, art style in particular is a major factor for me- if a game looks ugly, I will probably not buy it. It's the biggest reason why I've never played Minecraft.
          Check out my YouTube channel with silly Smash Bros. content: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCss...o9fW5snApff8YQ

Comment

Of course, but I'm not a graphic whore. My definition of "good looking" is pretty broad, I think all sorts of art styles are beautiful, a game has to look really bad to prevent me from playing it.
            "I game, therefore I am." - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

As long as the graphics style is consistent and humans look vaguely human-shaped I care more about the story and gameplay.
              That said I have an instant dislike for the super compressed faux sub 8-bit style. Yes I know some people call it fine art, but when you go below Axiom Verge and then Shovel Knight levels of detail it just looks like stick figures to me, sorry to say.
              The yeeting of cats strictly prohibited in this area.

Comment

No graphics don't play much in my decision making regarding getting a game it wold have to be pretty horrible to make me care Dood

Comment

In some games, yes. There are games that may have a graphic style that I find attractive, like Okami or Persona 5, that aren't necessarily pushing the hardware. I was certainly drawn to Okami initially from the graphics and I still say that it's one of the nicest looking games out there.
                  ​​

Comment

sometimes yes, if the graphics look beautiful like in Okami, Shadow of the Colossus, etc I generally buy them. I don't care about realistic looking games as much as artistically appealing games.

Comment

It's not graphics, it's visual design. A game doesn't have to be on the absolute bleeding edge of graphics to be good. But it must have visuals that are pleasing to the eye. So in a sense it influences all my purchases.
                      Click here for all my game reviews. | Click here for my PC hardware history from 1991
                      Games purchased on EGS: 0 | Free games redeemed on EGS: 0

Comment

• mmetalfan
                        mmetalfan commented
                        Editing a comment
                        This. A game can have both an old art style that may not be considered good by realism standard, but if it is artistically pleasing and makes sense within the game world, then I would probably say "It's a good looking game"

I chose "most" because animations are part of graphics. When the animations are too good I get suspicious and I need to find out if the game has totally compromised its controls for the sake of the animations. For example I will never buy Red Dead Redemption 2 because of how horribly the game over-prioritizes animations and ruins everything else to support that feature. That game was never meant to be played. Only watched.

Comment

• Majestic Boer Goat
                        Majestic Boer Goat commented
                        Editing a comment
                        +1, I learned the hard way that RDR2 is an amazing game until you have to play it.

On the graphics per se not really but art styles influence my decision quite often

Comment

Not in the least, and honestly I don't understand why it ever comes down to graphics for people. Presentation is the thinnest layer of an interactive experience, so it shouldn't hold much weight, and yet the visuals of a game have become so important that the industry lives or dies by them, and I think that is one of the worst parts of medium honestly. Paying out the ass to make a game look good, that's how we started getting shady business practices after the crash of 83. It went way out of control at the start of the 7th generation because people were blinded by HD.

Comment

It's somewhat important to me. I won't buy a game if it looks like shit, either due to a lack of effort put into the graphics or having a hideous art style. For instance, I usually won't buy new games that deliberately try to emulate NES graphics (for 2D games) or N64/PS1 graphics (for 3D games) because I find those graphics repulsive. I will make exceptions for games that were actually made during those time periods, since back then there was nothing they could do about it.

However, if they at least put in the effort to make their games look like SNES games (for 2D games) or late-gen PS2 games (for 3D games), or better, I don't have a problem with the graphics unless they use a repulsive art style.
                          There's no way to delete my account, so I'll just put this here:

I'm done with this site, and will no longer be a member here. Goodbye.

Comment

Working...
                          X