Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Random holdover poll #1: How important is realism?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random holdover poll #1: How important is realism?

Since there won't be daily polls for a while let's bridge the gap with something.

I'm bit of a stickler for realistic physics in games, and hate it when developers implement game mechanics that completely disregard actual newtonian physics. I'm not referring to "space magic" explanations. I'm talking about things when the devs take a real world established thing and then rape it.

Need For Speed: The Run's drafting is a great example of this. If you're not familiar with the game or the actual phenomenon here's the quick recap:
    Drafting in car racing is when a car drives in the slipstream of another car, which allows a slightly higher speed, thanks to the smaller air resistance due to the thin air in the slipstream.
    So if you go directly behind another racer your car will go slightly faster but as soon as you get out from behind them you'll loose this advantage.

Now the devs of the run, took this principle and completely turned it on it's head. Because what they did in the game works like this:
    If you drive behind another car, you don't get any advantage, but you'll fill a "draft meter" on the UI. And when it is filled and you pull out from behind the car, you get a sudden jolt of acceleration out of nowhere.
    So completely counter intuitive and works the exact opposite compared to how it supposed to work.

Things like this drive me up the wall.

Obviously games that are completely devoid of physics or where physics is not a relevant part of gameplay should not be considered when answering. So "it depends on the game" is not a valid answer.
    Physics of games should always obey real world newtonian physics
    0%
    It's ok to take some liberties with realism as long as the general principles are upheld
    27.59%
    It's ok to make even major changes to established physics if the designer sees fit
    55.17%
    Realism is completely irrelevant and real-world physics should not be applied in games at all.
    17.24%
    Click here for all my game reviews. | Click here for my PC hardware history from 1991
    Games purchased on EGS: 0 | Free games redeemed on EGS: 0

The only time I like realistic physics is when it's used in simulation games, I can understand a racing game having realistic physics but not a game like rdr2.

Comment

There are games, built on the non-realistic physics, because that is their main point / twist. So for these, only 4th answers applies.
      Then there are fantasy / sci-fi games, where the whole story or part of the story is on different world. (different gravity, or different anything). This would fall into category #3.
      #2, is what I personally perceive as unpolished games. (when racing was already mentioned -> when cars unexpectedly behave, in normal situations, smallest road jump makes your car crushed, like if there would be 10G, or you 'fly' out of the road in a curve, like your car wont not weight 1.5 tons)
      Normally I expect the game to either offer me realistic laws, or explain me, why the laws are different.

Comment

it really depends on the game you want to play. I enjoy racing games with damage mechanics so it forces me to properly race and not smash into the competition.
        But overall I'd say realism is something the developers should experiment with. Games that have a fantasy world should have unique mechanics that make their world seem believable and real.

Comment

Speaking of realism, I just bought Battlefield 1 on Origin for 10 bucks, however I was disappointed by the lack of realism with the combat. Very little to no gore, no dynamic blood splatters, no mud on characters, no bullet wounds, no blood pools, and along with static corpses. It irritated the heck out of me to see ever soldier looking like they just jumped straight out of the shower, even after being filed with lead. COD WAW was way more authentic and the was released 8 years before.
          Violence doesn't solve anything, my block list does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myWaa6xvPZ4

Comment

It all depends on type of game you are playing it should not be enforce if it limits developers creativity but in some games you need it to immerse you in it so good question there isn't an easy answer Dood

Comment

It depends on the game. In a sim, driving sim, flight sim, they should be as real as possible, but otherwise go ahead and make major changes if you want to and if it makes the game more enjoyable.

P.S. Thank you for making a poll! What happened to the dailies?

Comment

Honestly my favorite physics were in the old Black & White game because they were so janky it was funny.
              Check out my YouTube channel with silly Smash Bros. content: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCss...o9fW5snApff8YQ

Comment

There isn't a problem to be unrealistic if it fits the game, but naturally they still have to obey a few things, otherwise the game makes no sense.
                "I game, therefore I am." - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Realism is nice. I still really like the water physics in Wave Race 64. I'm not going to get upset about unrealistic physics though.

Comment

To me it doesn't matter if a game is a sim, or an action shooter, I expect things to behave realistically.

Like cars must move and behave a certain way, I don't expect everything to be hardcore simulations but if principles are reversed or ignored then that is a deal breaker for me. This is why I could never really get into Watchdogs or Saints Row, because cars were so detached from reality in those games.

But the same goes for shooting as well. If it takes 30 bullets to kill an enemy in a shooter, then again, deal breaker. I except a human to be disabled by one aimed shot. That's why I always look for the "realistic" difficulty in games, where I can die of one shot and the enemy does too. So games like Just Cause or Division are out of the question.
                    Click here for all my game reviews. | Click here for my PC hardware history from 1991
                    Games purchased on EGS: 0 | Free games redeemed on EGS: 0

Comment

I think very few games benefit from true realism. In any game that involves physics things have to be simplified so a computer can simulate it. Devs are best off making the simplification good rather than trying to emulate every law of physics in our world
                      I'm crawling deeper and deeper into backlog hell. Also I stream on dlive: https://dlive.tv/jokerthefoolio

Comment

Its fiction, I like it being unrealistic.
                        Steam ID: Saul15 Discord: Trout#3435
                        I love strategy games and coop shooters, lets play sometime.

Comment

As long as it makes the gameplay better I don't care what you do to physics, realistic or complete land of imagination, either one goes as long as it's fun to play in.
                          The yeeting of cats strictly prohibited in this area.

Comment

If is not sim it is not needed (and if included should be controlled to still be fun to play)

Comment

Working...
                            X