Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Daily Poll 173: Is Sony buying Insomniac good for Insomniac?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daily Poll 173: Is Sony buying Insomniac good for Insomniac?

Last Daily Poll was on Death Stranding's exclusivity. Check it out here: https://www.exclusivelygames.com/for...tion-exclusive

Well I'm back from California and I'm glad to not be in an urban desert anymore. A lot of news broke while I was away and I'm going to do my best to see what topics are poll worthy. I'm still Jet-lagged but after this poll we're resuming normal schedule so the next poll goes up midnight EST. I did lurk and shout out to everybody who made polls while I was gone, especially MadMummy76 for his 4 holdover polls I enjoyed all of them.

On to the topic. A few days ago Sony bought out Insomniac. This moves makes a lot of sense since Insomniac has worked with Sony on a handful of commercially and critically successful games. Spiderman is the latest which sold over 13 million which is extremely impressive. Makes a lot of sense for Sony to buy Insomniac given their close relationship, brand power and game design skills. Is this going to really make the studio or break it?

Check out the daily poll archive: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...eZa5loUQvE-SI/
    Sony buying Insomniac is good for Insomniac
    17.86%
    Sony buying Insomniac is bad for Insomniac
    10.71%
    Sony buying Insomniac will help and hurt Insomniac
    14.29%
    I can't decide
    17.86%
    I don't care
    39.29%
    Last edited by Jokerthefoolio; 08-24-2019, 03:31 AM.
    I'm crawling deeper and deeper into backlog hell. Also I stream on dlive: https://dlive.tv/jokerthefoolio

Welcome back.
    "We sleep peaceably in our beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on our behalf."

Comment

I can't decide. They're a great studio, but their best stuff has been mostly tied to Playstation. It should be easier for them to no longer be looking for funding and publishing deals and finally be treated as good they should have been all this time by Sony... but I hope they get to work on more than just Spider-Man sometimes, and who knows how the next generation or industry will change.

Who knows how this Sony vs Disney/Marvel thing is going to play out now. Lucas and Fox both got "negative marketing" the likes of which the entertainment industry has never seen, and I guarantee you IGN is confused who they're supposed to be shilling for.

Ratchet & Clank Remake was awesome.

Comment

Ehh, since most of their games were Playstation exclusives, that buyout won't have big consequences for everyone else. I guess being part of Sony would give them some financial security.
        "I game, therefore I am." - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

As much as I hate seeing third party developers being bought out, this isn't going to change much really.
          Check out my YouTube channel with silly Smash Bros. content: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCss...o9fW5snApff8YQ

Comment

Being bought out by a company with large bundles of money is of course good for them.
            But it is bad for players, who will be forced on their platform and play with a boomerang instead of an actual input device.
            Click here for all my game reviews. | Click here for my PC hardware history from 1991
            Games purchased on EGS: 0 | Free games redeemed on EGS: 0

Comment

Both good and bad I'd guess, for us as consumers I mean.
              Good: Current generation compilations of Ratchet and Clank more likely.
              Bad: Console exclusivity. It took years for Sunset Overdrive to reach PC and I'm pretty sure Sony wouldn't let them release any games outside of the Graystation envelope.
              The yeeting of cats strictly prohibited in this area.

Comment

All that means to me is that I will care even less about their games.
                Hail Kizuna Ai

Comment

Chaining a studio down to one console is bad for gamers in general.
                  As for them Sony probably gave them a dump truck of money, so I'll say they're probably doing fine.

Comment

• Cuzin_Ed
                    Cuzin_Ed commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I agree, console exclusivity is garbage. But they don't make games for any other systems except Sony. They made Sunset Overdrive for the Xbox One and that was ported to the PC later on. The company that did the port did a pretty bad job. The PC port is kind of a mess.

Sony is woke so Sony getting studio is bad fore people who have other consoles and who have PS4 or 5 in future Dood

Comment

Didn't they make Sunset Overdrive?

Comment

• Jokerthefoolio
                      Jokerthefoolio commented
                      Editing a comment
                      They did and I doubt Sony will greenlight a sequel

So they don't release many titles on non Sony systems. All I know of is Sunset Overdrive. It was a Xbone One exclusive till it was ported to the PC. So it's not a huge loss if Sony buys them cause all they did was make PS exclusives anyway.

Comment

Working...
                    X