Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Daily Poll 175: Do you play local multiplayer games?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daily Poll 175: Do you play local multiplayer games?

Last Daily Poll was on KSP 2 being early access. Check it out here: https://www.exclusivelygames.com/for...e-early-access

The advent of online gaming was a big hit to local multiplayer. LAN parties faded out in favor of staying home and playing and chatting over the net or in game voice chat. The PS4 and Xbox One are the most online focused consoles leaving the need for local multiplayer in the dust causing a lot of modern games that could have the feature not having it at all. Halo 5 is a great example. The Switch with tabletop play has somewhat revived local multiplayer but not the way it was back in the Wii era and before. Do you play local multiplayer or stick to online? Maybe you just stick to singleplayer?

Check out the daily poll archive: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...eZa5loUQvE-SI/
    I don't play local multiplayer games
    22.58%
    I used to play local multiplayer games
    38.71%
    I play local multiplayer games daily
    3.23%
    I play local multiplayer games a few times a week
    6.45%
    I play local multiplayer games a few times a month
    9.68%
    I play local multiplayer games very rarely
    19.35%
    I'm crawling deeper and deeper into backlog hell. Also I stream on dlive: https://dlive.tv/jokerthefoolio

Yep. I play Smash a few times a week. I probably wouldn't play it at all (except on release) if I couldn't play locally.
    Check out my YouTube channel with silly Smash Bros. content: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCss...o9fW5snApff8YQ

Comment

Rarely. My friends don't have the attention span for it anymore and a lot of the great co-op stuff I want to play is indie which limits the appeal to casual friends.

Comment

I don't play multiplayer games of any type.
        "We sleep peaceably in our beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on our behalf."

Comment

Are those even still a thing?

I haven't played local multiplayer since 2009. And the last time I played online multiplayer was with Mass Effect 3 in 2012.
          Click here for all my game reviews. | Click here for my PC hardware history from 1991
          Games purchased on EGS: 0 | Free games redeemed on EGS: 0

Comment

Super rarely.
            Hail Kizuna Ai

Comment

Used to with my brother and a few friends all the time. I had to stop due to us all getting older and games just not including it any more.
              Last edited by WickedWolf; 08-26-2019, 02:22 AM.
              All my typos are intentional
              I also make videos https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCpvjyJGhppM0bExHo74vBsA

Comment

• aileron
                aileron commented
                Editing a comment
                You've got to show me that lack of getting older trick

We used to play 'local multiplayer' even, when the was not designed for local multiplayer.
              Civ 1: two of us playing together, each of us owning half of the cities also half of the units
              Wolfenstein 3D : one was moving, one was shooting

Later we had MP games, but no internet, and LAN parties were very rare (our computers were huge, we did not have cars), so local MP was our savior. Disciples 2, HOMM 3 and basically turn based strategies... Warlords, oh yeah. I wanted to kick my friend from the chair, when his well trained paladins were slaughtering my undead legions, I built (created) with so much care and love.

Comment

I used to play a lot of LAN games, but unfortunately that's not popular anymore.
                "I game, therefore I am." - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

I play local multiplyer rarely, but when I do I'll binge it for a while.
                  Usually Minecraft, Neverwinter nights 1, Dawn of War 1

Comment

Yeah, local 2/3/4 player used to be a selling point. Most of us loved local games, but it was decided without our consent that we do not like co-op. We were told that we do not know what we like, we must be told what we like. EA, Activision and Ubisoft then TOLD us what we liked. Yeah, those guys.

Comment

I pretty much stay away from multiplayer games in general. I think the last time I played one was at Christmas last year, and I think it was Mario Party for the Switch. Didn't even enjoy it that much. I just kind of prefer single player experiences, even if the occasional co-op is okay in an online setting.

Comment

• DazoftheDroid
                        DazoftheDroid commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Don't you know? Single player is dead. You want "Live Services" not single player games! Doofus ^^

Every time my friend is back in country we play all the classic couch-coop games on his X360. Even Halo 4 is enjoyable when you play with a buddy and beers.

Comment

• Sick243
                        Sick243 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        To be fair most games are great after few beers Dood

Back in the day all I played was local multiplayer. Never had any online gaming until Halo 3 came out. Co-op and mp with friends at each others houses was where it was at. I still play some local mp, usually smash brothers with friends, or any other fun party game. But its at a very low frequency as now being an adult means I don't have a lot of time to be with friends playing games with us all in one spot.

Comment

I really like games that provide this option, especially since it seems to be dying out. The friends that I used to play all my games with are still the friends I do play with, and since we have all grown up it is harder to coordinate between us. Having the same games and systems can even be a challenge, so any game that lets us share a round together without seperate copies/consoles is great in my opinion even if I would prefer a screen to myself if I had the option. Also, the paywall for internet services that hinder multiplayer is quite annoying. I do not really want to debate things like PS Plus here, but obviously I do not want to be locked into a service where I have to pay for more than just the multiplayer I want. On top of that, my friends would still need their own console and copy to play with me. Also, some especially designed co-op games such as Mario Party, Monopoly, etc. are just really fun to relax and have fun with friends without getting into something too serious. I feel like if those sort of games ever completely lost local play it would lose some of its charm.

Comment

Working...
                        X