Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Daily Poll 177: Has a demo convinced you to buy a game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daily Poll 177: Has a demo convinced you to buy a game?

Last Daily Poll was on a Nintendo Direct in September. Check it out here: https://www.exclusivelygames.com/for...t-in-september

Demos have been around for a long time. Demo discs and carts used to be sent in the mail back in the day. Nowadays demos are all online and pretty rare since most devs these days just want people to buy and pour money into their microtransactions. There are still some demos on Steam, the PS4 and Switch. I think there are three times a demo convinced me to get the full game. Mass Effect 2's demo, Fire Emblem Awakening's demo and I backed a kickstarter game called Tower of Fate after playing the demo. The full game came out about 2 weeks ago and I'm very happy with it so far. What about you guys?

Check out the daily poll archive: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...eZa5loUQvE-SI/
    I don't play demos
    3.03%
    A demo has convinced me to buy a game
    30.30%
    A demo has convinced me not buy a game
    6.06%
    A demo has convinced to by a game and A demo has convinced me not to buy a game
    60.61%
    I'm crawling deeper and deeper into backlog hell. Also I stream on dlive: https://dlive.tv/jokerthefoolio

It's for sure been both ways. Sometimes I try a demo for a game I wasn't that interested in, and find out I like it, sometimes I try a demo for a game because I'm super excited to play it, and change my mind. It's the way of things.

Comment

I remember playing demos years ago, when PC demos were still prevalent. Convinced to buy several games such as Jedi Academy, Republic Commandos, Halo, Fear, Sonic Adventure, Empire at War and Lego Star Wars II. Demos used be great not only to try games out, but allowed you to have some form of gaming entertainment for cheap. Now it's all or nothing most of the time. Very rarely will you find a demo for a AAA game. Sometimes if your lucky you can try out a beta or a rare trial version. Miss the good old days, when game companies were more transparent with their products and didn't have to rely on reviews.
      Last edited by Hyperweasle; 08-27-2019, 06:21 AM.
      Violence doesn't solve anything, my block list does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myWaa6xvPZ4

Comment

The demo for Resident Evil 7 demonstrated that unlike RE6, that game was actually going to comprise of the mechanics and design of a Resident Evil game. I bought the game based on that demo. On the flipside the technical test version of the new Ghost Recon game has convinced me not to buy it because they've made the game wrong.

Also back in the ancient days I did buy Thief, Jedi Knight and Carmageddon based on demos and probably left many other games alone based on their unimpressive demos.
        Last edited by Garrett; 08-27-2019, 08:06 AM.

Comment

Haa demos... right now they're mostly called open betas, or stress tests lol...
          But back in 1999/2000 I did download and play the shit out of Diablo 2's demo. Then I did make an effort and downloaded Diablo 3 demo, and later on bought it. Only ones I ever did though...

Comment

Well with the quality of games nowadays I imagine they are right not to release demos as it will most likely work the opposite way.
            But that tactic only works on those who let themselves be fooled and buy a game they are uncertain about.
            I've been burned enough times by shit games that now I only buy games at release that I'm convinced will be good. And if there is no demo there is nothing to convince me. It's not like I'll believe what jurnos say.
            Click here for all my game reviews. | Click here for my PC hardware history from 1991
            Games purchased on EGS: 0 | Free games redeemed on EGS: 0

Comment

Originally posted by MadMummy76 View Post
              Well with the quality of games nowadays I imagine they are right not to release demos as it will most likely work the opposite way.
              ...however there is also the fact that all digital distribution platforms let you get refunds if you don't like the games. So every full version is a demo anyway and nobody had to spend time and resources to develop a separate demo version. The only problem is that some people don't feel comfortable with refuding since credit card companies aren't happy about stuff like that when it's abused.

Comment

Demos can be great ways to see what game is about they have convinced me to buy and pass games also congrats to SEGA they had some nice demos in last year Dood

Comment

Demos and the other sort of "free sampling" are great to see if a game is really worth your time and money. We all know game trailers are complete BS, and you gotta be an absolute idiot to take the word of people like Todd Howard at face value.
                  "I game, therefore I am." - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Sick243
                    Sick243 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It Just Works Dood

Catherine and The Maw are the only demos I remember playing, but both assured me I should buy the game.
                  All my typos are intentional
                  I also make videos https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCpvjyJGhppM0bExHo74vBsA

Comment

Sure it can happen, it's rare though as I usually only play demos of games I'm interested in in the 1st place. The opposite is even rarer but can happen.
                    Hail Kizuna Ai

Comment

Originally posted by Garrett View Post

...however there is also the fact that all digital distribution platforms let you get refunds if you don't like the games. So every full version is a demo anyway and nobody had to spend time and resources to develop a separate demo version. The only problem is that some people don't feel comfortable with refuding since credit card companies aren't happy about stuff like that when it's abused.
                      I don't think the refund is there to be used as a free demo. I certainly never abused it like that, and never would, and not because of the credit card companies, but because I think it is not fair. If I want the stores and publishers to be fair towards customers I don't want to be a hypocrite.

If they really meant it as a free demo steam should make it so that you're only charged if you don't return the game before getting 1 hours on the clock or say 14 days.
                      Click here for all my game reviews. | Click here for my PC hardware history from 1991
                      Games purchased on EGS: 0 | Free games redeemed on EGS: 0

Comment

I rarely play demos, not so much because it is a demo as it is that I do not have access to them. I also would not simply stand in a store all day to play a demo game on the public console. That being said, I understand that demos have their limits, but I expect them to represent the vast majority of details as to how the game is supposed to look, play, and feel. I had to vote that a demo convinced me not to buy a game here, but that was because the controls did not work properly on my computer. If I had purchased it, it would have been difficult to impossible to play despite my interest in the game. The problem would not even let me complete the demo tutorial. In that way, the demo was quite useful to me, but if the controls had worked I am not sure how much of an impact it would have had.

Comment

Back in the demo disc days, I was usually already excited about buying the game and a demo was just wetting my appetite... ie: Final Fantasy 7 & 8, Metal Gear Solid 1 & 2

I do remember getting a PS2 Jam Pack with God of War 1 on it, and I had originally thought early screenshots of the game looked kinda weird. Holy hell did that demo sell me. After 15 minutes, I immediately left the house and went straight back up to the store to buy God of War. Didn't even need to finish the demo, it was that good.

Only demo I can think of in recent years that sold me on a game was Embers of Mirrim for PS4, a random indie platform I'd never heard of. It was so my kinda thing.

I usually never download demos of big AAA games that I'm already not interested in. 1.) I know my tastes 2.) they're damn near the full game download size 3.) it usually just confirms why I wasn't interested and I just wasted my data

Bonus scenario: Not technically a demo, but I played Guardian Heroes on Saturn for 15 minutes at my local game store in 1996 and came back the next day to buy a Saturn + Guardian Heroes.
                          Last edited by Dub-Z; 08-27-2019, 10:44 PM.

Comment

Game demos have been both a reason to buy and NOT buy a game for me, but it was something that was more common years ago, rather than recently.
                            Meaning games HAD demos more frequently in the past 10+ years ago.

These days, I had a few reviewers I trust and have similar tastes to my gaming tastes that I was reviews and gameplay videos on YT before considering buying.

I remember the early and pre-internet days when downloading a demo would have taken ages or simply not an option. So I ended up buying gaming magazines that often had demo disks attached to them.
                            I haven't bought a computer magazine for years.

Comment

Working...
                            X