Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Daily Poll 189: Do you play more Modern or Retro games?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daily Poll 189: Do you play more Modern or Retro games?

Last Daily Poll was on Mobile games. Check it out here: https://www.exclusivelygames.com/for...y-mobile-games

Gaming has been around for decades. Gaming has changed a lot from the experience a lot of people remember it. Millions of people want to grind in online games and play yearly sports games. Others speedrun old platforms from the 16 bit era. Playing fighting games on an arcade cabinet or online on a PS4 have vast differences. It's all about if people want the benefits of the internet and more complex graphics or the nostalgia and simplicity of older games. What side do you fall on?

Poll topic was from aileron The original topic was more hardware focused which I want to do a poll about sometime soon.

Check out the daily poll archive: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...eZa5loUQvE-SI/
    I only play modern games
    0%
    I only play retro games
    3.13%
    I play modern and retro games equally
    34.38%
    I play more modern than retro
    46.88%
    I more retro than modern
    15.63%
    I'm unsure
    0%
    I'm crawling deeper and deeper into backlog hell. Also I stream on dlive: https://dlive.tv/jokerthefoolio

Mostly modern. In fact, I probably should have voted for "I only play modern games" since I haven't played anything I'd consider "retro" in years, with the exception of two NES games on the Switch Online thing because I was bored.
    Check out my YouTube channel with silly Smash Bros. content: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCss...o9fW5snApff8YQ

Comment

Almost exclusively modern games but I do play retro sometimes.
      "We sleep peaceably in our beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on our behalf."

Comment

I'm not really a fan of retro gaming. But it depends on the definition of retro gaming. When I play Generals that came out in 2003 I don't feel like playing retro. Retro to me would be playing C64 or MS-DOS games, but I almost never do that.
        Click here for all my game reviews. | Click here for my PC hardware history from 1991
        Games purchased on EGS: 0 | Free games redeemed on EGS: 0

Comment

I played all the 'retro' games I wanted when they were new, now I play modern titles with the rare exception, though I play more AA games than AAA at this point.

Comment

I chose more modern than retro. That doesn't mean I don't play any retro games at all. but 90% of the time if I play a game it's a modern one. I was just playing Heretic and Hexen a few days ago.

I even bought a Genesis off Ebay years ago. I had a small retro game collection of about 6 games. I eventually just sold it all. I paid $35 for the Genesis and sold it for $15. The games I paid anywhere from a few dollars for to $10 or more CIB. I sold them for $5 each. That retro game stuff has no real resale value in the real world. Of course this was back when people were first starting to hype up the whole retro gaming and collecting thing. It's funny that a lot of the people who push retro gaming on YouTube also own stores that sell retro games or know someone who does.

Comment

• mmetalfan
              mmetalfan commented
              Editing a comment
              I actually just finished Hexen last week. Never played it before but saw it in my GOG library and decided to give it a go. Took a bit for me to get my mind around the hub like level design as I was not expecting that but was fun none the less.

I said more retro than modern. This of course depends on your definition of retro. But throughout my PC gaming life my PC has never been the latest greatest model so I had to play older games out of necessity. Also I do go back and play super retro 8 and 16 bit stuff quite often so that's why I said more retro than modern.

Comment

I play more modern than retro, thinking about it though I would say it's quite close.
              I like to mix it up, I'll spend a few days playing modern then I'll spend some time playing a retro game.

Comment

I play a good amount of both with probably a bit more of modern. Bear in mind that I am considering as retro anything not HD (so anything up to Wii for instance) and indie games with retro style

Comment

Mostly modern. If you consider something like Mario Maker levels done with the old graphics and controls, then my retro gaming goes up a bit.
                  All my typos are intentional
                  I also make videos https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCpvjyJGhppM0bExHo74vBsA

Comment

Mostly modern, definitely. True retro games are so clunky and unpolished, only people with nostalgia glasses can enjoy them.
                    "I game, therefore I am." - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Modern, 90% of the time, but once in awhile I'll need a retro fix. If I find a modern game I really love, I'll be playing it for years, though, so it's not always just latest-is-greatest.

Comment

More retro than modern. It's a bit hard for me to concentrate on newer games these days. That doesn't mean I don't have any interest in them, it's that the newer games seem to require more of your time and attention, or at least that is how it seems to be for me. Because of this, if I buy multiple newer games, I tend to end up with a bit of a backlog. Right now, Astral Chain is the first modern game I've picked up in well over a year. I like it a lot, but I'm taking my time with it.

​​Retro games, including those I hadn't played yet, fare much better with me. They're usually easier to pick up and play. I know that retro-styled indie games tend to bug people, but I can also get into these games since they tend to emulate how those games played back then.

Comment

• Dub-Z
                          Dub-Z commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I love a good throwback indie game. I spent about a month playing Contra Anniversary Collection when I couldn't seem to get into anything else, or focus on anything bigger (like you said), and then followed it up with Blazing Chrome when that released. I'll probably pick up the new Contra when it comes out, even though that's more budget, single A, than classic style. Just finished up Gears 5 too, and that series has always been like a 3D evolution of Contra to me. A balanced diet.

I'm pretty sure the games I've played this year have consisted very close to 50/50 of old and new games. Hell, in the span of one week I played Hitman 2 (2018), Duke Nukem (1991) and Ion Fury (2019 but running on an engine from 1995)

Comment

• mmetalfan
                          mmetalfan commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Ion Fury! Man that was a blast

I tend to binge games so usually I play more modern than retro because I've already played all the retro games I like so many times.
                        This weekend I've played Minecraft (I allowed myself a Little bit of cheating so I could drill holes through the bedrock in two places to build my own extradimensional observation posts. There's mushrooms up there, apparently.) Warframe (Gauss is a lot of fun, just a shame I have no clue what I should build him as, so I'm saving my forma.) and FF14 (Slowly grinding my way to 80 with four classes at once.)

This is made even more annoying by the fact that I still have Astral Chain and FE: Three Houses on the Switch and Daemon ex Machina is coming out in a few days!
                        The yeeting of cats strictly prohibited in this area.

Comment

Working...
                        X