Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Daily Poll 193: What do you think of Quick Time Events?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daily Poll 193: What do you think of Quick Time Events?

Last Daily Poll was on Greedfall. Check it out here: https://www.exclusivelygames.com/for...-buy-greedfall

Long day so I'll be brief. QTEs have been in games for over 20 years now starting with Shenmue. Some executions are really good and others are just a way for a dev to avoid making a real boss battle or just so much you might as well be watching the game. Order 1886 was a lot of qte in such a short game. What do you guys think?

Check out the daily poll archive: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...eZa5loUQvE-SI/
    All QTEs are bad
    13.33%
    All QTE are good
    0%
    I don't care about QTEs
    13.33%
    Some QTES are good
    60.00%
    Some QTES are bad
    3.33%
    Other opinion (reply below)
    10.00%
    I'm crawling deeper and deeper into backlog hell. Also I stream on dlive: https://dlive.tv/jokerthefoolio

Like any mechanic, QTE's are good when implemented well and bad when they are not. The latest 'Tomb Raider' trilogy made good use of them, I thought, though best in the first game when they felt impactful and very 'edge of your seat'. They got backlash, though, so the second two games made sparing use of them and watered them down a great deal even when included.

Comment

There was a lot of meh games that tried QTE's for all the wrong reasons, so gamers all had a blanket "QTE's suck!!!" mentality, but they can be good when done right, where they belong.

Comment

I hate them. I'd rather just watch a cut scene.
        Check out my YouTube channel with silly Smash Bros. content: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCss...o9fW5snApff8YQ

Comment

Some quick time events are acceptable to some extent, but sadly most are just annoying (specially those with crap controllers making you fail and start all over again).

The only ones I ever liked where from Tell Tale Games because of the nature of their games that is mostly focus on the story more than the gameplay.

Then there is this one...

( ´・ω・`)_且~ Would you care to join me for a cup of tea?
          Sips Tea Majeeeeestically!

Comment

Really depends on how they're used. I'm not a fan of most QTEs in that developers tend to use them because they have no better ideas on how to engage the player. Even in my all-time favorite console game, Batman: Arkham City, I still find I'm critical of being prompted to spam an action button to do something like open a vent. But they have been used to good effect on occasion.
            Xbox Live: Goldnfoxx
            PSN: Goldenfoxx
            Nintendo: SW-5996-7611-3106
            Steam: Goldenfoxx / [email protected]

Comment

FF14 is an example of bad use of QTEs. Whenever a raid boss includes a QTE you just have to mash a button on screen, which is affected by the same serverside lag that everything else in the game is, as well as being mouse-based.
              I wouldn't suck so much at it if they'd given me an actual physical button to mash, and I'm afraid that autoclickers would be considered against TOS... =p
              The yeeting of cats strictly prohibited in this area.

Comment

Some are good AND some are bad. As Goldenfoxx said it really depends how they're used. You didn't have that choice so I picked other.

Comment

Like with everything there are good and bad uses for 'em so i'm indifferent toward QTEs for the most part. Though I would prefer games that use them to give some advanced warning before the first one, especially if ts in a cutscene, so it's not as much of a "surprise bitch" moment.

Comment

Some are alright, if they are short and just want to make a scene more cinematic or change the pace of a game a bit, however I can't stand games like the Telltale games which rely too much on them. If a game's main gameplay is QTEs,then I'd rather watch a movie. I can at least sit back and relax without having to wait for the next button prompt.
                    Violence doesn't solve anything, my block list does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myWaa6xvPZ4

Comment

Some are good. Kinda indifferent about them. I'd say it shouldn't be relied upon too much, but it's ok in moderation.

Comment

They can be good, if used properly. A good QTE should only happen as contextual action, like when you fight a boss and a QTE starts so your character do something that isn't possible normally. It gives a cinematic look without sacrificing gameplay. Of course, there are good and bad examples even in this category.

Most bad QTEs fall in the "push button to continue the scene", as you will see in any game made by Quantic Dreams or the classic "Press F to pay Respects". It doesn't make it any fun, and very often will fumble the player as it happens during a cutscene, when we aren't expecting to do any action.
                        "I game, therefore I am." - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

I put my opinion in other. I know I'm actually on the either some QTEs are good or some QTEs are bad, but the fact that those are separate options makes me think that the pollster is thinking of something more complex and I'm already trying to think of how I want to quantify my opinion of QTEs without having to overthink the question being asked.

QTEs as they're found in action games like Uncharted, Tomb Raider, and fifty other games that I cannot think of the name of right this second for some ludicrous reason are objectively bad. All they do is break the immersion of the game, slow down the pace and derail an otherwise good game. There's no real excuse for them, and I think it's lazy development. Then there are games that are built around QTEs, such as Heavy Rain, Detroit: Becoming Human, and Until Dawn. Generally, every example I see of this second mainstream type of QTE game is objectively good. The developer didn't throw a QTE in there because he/she/they couldn't be assed to come up with a creative solution to a glaring lack of gameplay. The developer made the conscious decision to create a game in the sub-genre of QTE games, thought about how to make it immersive and how to engage the player with it, and they did a damned good job, at least in the examples I listed. So if you're asking me if QTEs are bad in action games, then I'd say "Yes, they are bad in all action games." If you're asking me if QTEs are bad anywhere else, then "No." So, some are good or some are bad doesn't really adequately sum it up. Hence "other opinion".

Comment

The only case where QTEs were appropriate I can think of is the carjacking in Mercenaries2. Where every vehicle had a QTE sequence that determined whether you succeeded in commandeering the vehicle.
                            Click here for all my game reviews. | Click here for my PC hardware history from 1991
                            Games purchased on EGS: 0 | Free games redeemed on EGS: 0

Comment

I think QTE's are fine as long as it's not a primary mechanic in the game itself.

Comment

Working...
                              X