Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Daily Poll 197: Are cosmetics important to you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daily Poll 197: Are cosmetics important to you?

Last Daily Poll was on review copies. Check it out here: https://www.exclusivelygames.com/for...-review-copies

The often justification for microtransactions is that they will only involve cosmetics. Of course a lot of games with that initial promise caved hard. Cosmetics do matter to people. CSGO and Fortnight have people that obsess over them till they blow all their V-Bucks on the Ninja X TF2 hat with a Redbull logo on it. Cosmetic lootboxes in my opinion are just as easy to manipulate purchases from you. I blew a lot of money on OW lootboxes and even though I didn't even come close to getting all the things I wanted. Yongyea has made that point a lot in his videos and I do agree. For me OW is still a decent game to play from time to time. Those are just my thoughts on there matter.

Check out the daily poll archive: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...eZa5loUQvE-SI/
    I don't play games that have cosmetics
    7.69%
    In games with cosmetics they are integral to the experience
    26.92%
    I don't care about cosmetics
    11.54%
    I like cosmetics but I could do without them
    42.31%
    I can't decide
    0%
    I don't care
    0%
    Other opinion (reply below)
    11.54%
    I'm crawling deeper and deeper into backlog hell. Also I stream on dlive: https://dlive.tv/jokerthefoolio

Anyone that thinks cosmetics are not important to the game is wrong and they will have to fight me.
    Fashion is more important than life it self (I am joking ok, chill), as long the game is good.

I am the sad guy that does buy lots of cosmetic items: hats (TF2), syandanas (Warframe), sets (Dota), weapon skins (Killing Floor 2), cards (steam), etc, etc, etc.

Still I do not support developers (no purchases) that does not respect their players.

[ Meme made when I played Warframe religiously against some guy complaining of 2 many cosmetics on Warframe. ]
    Click image for larger version

Name:	syandana.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	65107
    Fashion frame is the true endgame.
    If you are going to T-Bag anyone you better look good m8.
    Welcome to the fashion parade.
    ( ´・ω・`)_且~ Would you care to join me for a cup of tea?
    Sips Tea Majeeeeestically!

Comment

In some games they are a lot of fun. I like dressing up my characters if I get to look at them a lot, which means 3rd person games, and there's enough rp for me to want to dress my character up. Typically this means MMOs and similar experiences, where I have a reason not to want to look like everyone else.

Comment

• Necromancerx69
        Necromancerx69 commented
        Editing a comment
        100% agree on this, looking good adds a lot to the experience.

In most cases, I don't care that much about it. Of course, I'm no online gamer, so it wouldn't really be worth it anyway. In games that I really like, I appreciate the option much more. I actually bought all of the costume dlc in Persona 5, and I really liked the different Persona and SMT games represented.
      ????

Comment

I think it is fair to say that most people like to have some level of customization to their characters and cosmetics are a least a large part if not all you have in a game for it. Cosmetics are important; I like my characters to look a certain, often idealized way, and I doubt I am in the minority. However, cosmetics should by no means be the end all of customization. In fact, I think part of the point in this discussion is that cosmetic microtransaction systems are artificially designed in such a way that all that matters are these cosmetics through methods such as excluding other forms of customization. After all, if all that separates you from the countless other newcomers to a game is your outfit, it is pretty important. Especially in a multiplayer focused game. So, while I like cosmetic customization, I do believe that especially in regards to it being an excuse to introduce microtransactions it is purposefully made more important to players than it should be.

Comment

Cosmetics are fine, if I can earn them in game and it doesn't take a week of grinding for something simple like a hat.
          Random drops for skins, weapons and whatever else is appropriate to the game being played are, imo, a good way to get them.
          If I can't earn clothing, weapons, character appearance, whatever else is game appropriate, I'll mod them in where possible.

I won't buy loot boxes or DLC to upgrade how a character looks and add weapons or clothing.
          Last edited by twidget; 09-16-2019, 07:22 AM. Reason: English MF
          “Nothing is so painful to the human mind as a great and sudden change.”

Steam: old_Navy_twidget

Comment

Well I do like costumization of the looks of my characters (for instance in one the latest games I played, astral chain, I chose the girl as protagonist so I could play a bit more with the style).
            Said so cosmetics are not important enough to me that I would pay a dime for it as MTX (never happened and I doubt ever will)

Comment

Since I play mainly single player games, I don't really care about cosmetics, and I never pay for cosmetic DLC (excapt Sans). Being able to unlock cosmetic items via gameplay rewards is nice, but doesn't make a huge difference on my overall opinion of the game.
              Check out my YouTube channel with silly Smash Bros. content: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCss...o9fW5snApff8YQ

Comment

Cosmetics can be endgame for a large number of people, including me. They provide another goal to aim for when you have endgame gear (stats-wise) and give you incentive to play during events and holidays. Even better when you can apply 1 look to another piece of gear.
                They can also diversify the game by making you play something outside your comfort zone like PvP or some type of World vs World or Server vs Server thingy.

Don't get me wrong, I like to EARN my cosmetics in-game, not buy them off an in-game store for real money...

Comment

I had to vote other. Because I like cosmetics and it is very important in every game, and it is even more important that cosmetics are not paid. Some games I can manage without cosmetics but I prefer to have the option anyway. Even in games where you think it wouldn't be important it is important to me. It is integral to making the playable character my own.
                  Click here for all my game reviews. | Click here for my PC hardware history from 1991
                  Games purchased on EGS: 0 | Free games redeemed on EGS: 0

Comment

I don't play games that have cosmetics as paid rewards.
                    "I game, therefore I am." - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Payed cosmetics are stupid, however games with in game reward cosmetics are great. I like the fact that I customize my character so they don't look the same as everyone elses character and makes the gameplay experience more personal.
                      Last edited by Hyperweasle; 09-16-2019, 01:50 PM.
                      Violence doesn't solve anything, my block list does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myWaa6xvPZ4

Comment

I frequently play an asymmetrical horror game called Dead By Daylight and enjoy the cosmetic offerings there. Some you can unlock for free during events or with in-game currency rewarded for playing daily and winning matches, while others are in the cash shop only (mainly ones tied to licenses like Saw, Stranger Things, Evil Dead, etc.)

I see it as supporting the devs so they can keep updating the game with new features, like dedicated servers and a story mode in the works. It's an ambitious indie team, so they aren't predatory about it.
                        "Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it." -Mark Twain

Comment

As free unlockables, sure, as payed DLC, never ever.
                          Hail Kizuna Ai

Comment

I like cosmetics. I like being able to customize my character's outfits, hair, beard, dye/colors, and more. I rarely pay real money for them, but every once in a while I will.

Comment

Working...
                            X